PDA

View Full Version : What OBD reader do you use?

MTL_4runner
04-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I just thought it would be good to have a thread where people could say what OBD (either OBD I or OBD II) scanner/reader etc they use, where they got it and how much you paid. Links to company websites or places for product info would be helpful as well.

I use an Auterra (OBD II) in combo with my Palm m130
I got mine off eBay for about $170 (usually they go for about $150-200)

www.auterraweb.com

PhorunninDuke
04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I just thought it would be good to have a thread where people could say what OBD (either OBD I or OBD II) scanner/reader etc they use, where they got it and how much you paid. Links to company websites or places for product info would be helpful as well.

I use an Auterra (OBD II) in combo with my Palm m130
I got mine off eBay for about $170 (usually they go for about $150-200)

www.auterraweb.com

I have been looking at those hard for a while. I don't think there is anything else that comes close. Ebay has been disappointing - nearly retail on all of them.

MTL_4runner
04-04-2007, 03:45 AM
I have been looking at those hard for a while. I don't think there is anything else that comes close. Ebay has been disappointing - nearly retail on all of them.

I think the second issue might be related to the first one.
I'm pretty good at getting deals, but there were no deals to be had even when I got mine.

amgraham
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I got one of these the other day to get with the 90s. It was $89.95 at Pep Boys and scans/erases codes:
http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1376
It works well but you have to keep track of the manual to look up what the code is.. it doesn't give a description like some other scanners, just the code.

I used to have the Snap-on 2500 scanner. I sold it when I quit working in shops. I'm about ready to invest in whatever the latest equivalent of that it because it sure was nice.

MTL_4runner
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I used to have the Snap-on 2500 scanner. I sold it when I quit working in shops. I'm about ready to invest in whatever the latest equivalent of that it because it sure was nice.

If you liked the Snap-on 2500 scanner then either look into getting an Auterra or a BR-3. Both of those will give you much more capability for advanced diagnostics and troubleshooting over a generic code reader.

amgraham
04-09-2007, 06:16 PM

If you liked the Snap-on 2500 scanner then either look into getting an Auterra or a BR-3. Both of those will give you much more capability for advanced diagnostics and troubleshooting over a generic code reader.

Yeah, I just got that OTC one to retrieve codes and clear lights.. I'll get a full scanner again sometime.

BansheeToy
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Mine's the ScanGaugeII. Paid $130 (group buy price)

http://www.scangauge.com/features/

mastacox
04-09-2007, 09:15 PM
BR-3 OBD-II Scan Tool. It's worked fine for what I need, but I admittedly have never used any other kind... :D

firebane
06-16-2007, 08:25 PM
BR-3 OBD-II Scan Tool. It's worked fine for what I need, but I admittedly have never used any other kind... :D

Shipping:
We ship only within the United States. We try to ship your item within 2 days if at all possible. Weekends, and holidays are excluded. All orders are shipped via US postal service Priority mail to Continental USA, AK , HI, and possesions. Once mailed, USPS priority mail generally takes about 2-3 additional days for delivery, but can vary considerably. Other methods of shipping are not available.

Which sucks for me being in Canada!

reggie 00
06-16-2007, 09:07 PM

Shipping:
We ship only within the United States. We try to ship your item within 2 days if at all possible. Weekends, and holidays are excluded. All orders are shipped via US postal service Priority mail to Continental USA, AK , HI, and possesions. Once mailed, USPS priority mail generally takes about 2-3 additional days for delivery, but can vary considerably. Other methods of shipping are not available.

Which sucks for me being in Canada!

Take a quick ride over the border. its what an hour drive?
I would go in and stop at the first post office and ask how you go about having something shipped to you there. I know backpackers do it all the time on long trips should be no reason they would protest show em the shipping statement. If the Post office is a no go or inconvenient try a UPS store or Kinko's.

Bob98SR5
06-16-2007, 09:56 PM
auterra. i have a cable for a palm V/Vx $10 shipped. i now use a treo 700p for it

firebane
06-16-2007, 10:05 PM
auterra. i have a cable for a palm V/Vx $10 shipped. i now use a treo 700p for it

How do you find the Auterra? I'm gonna be in the process of buying a scanner for codes and such but I figure I could spend a few more bucks and get something of the sort.

Do you find you use a lot of the functions? And how is when it comes to the diagnosis and such?

MTL_4runner
06-17-2007, 04:07 AM
How do you find the Auterra? I'm gonna be in the process of buying a scanner for codes and such but I figure I could spend a few more bucks and get something of the sort.

Do you find you use a lot of the functions? And how is when it comes to the diagnosis and such?

The Auterra is about the best there is if you take price, portability and functions all into account. The BR-3 is usually the best bang for the buck, but you're chained to a laptop vs a PDA (unless you get the USB version) and even then the BR-3 doesn't support the CAN function which will be the standard in newer vehicles.

You can see all the Auterra basic OBD functions here:
http://www.auterraweb.com/scantoolsoftware.html

The more advanced functions here:
http://www.auterraweb.com/dynosoftware.html

I wouldn't trade my Auterra for any other reader out on the market right now.