PDA

View Full Version : Show me your jugs

4x4mike
07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Water jugs that is. I tossed my trusty Reliance 7 gallon water jug
http://relianceproducts.com/consumer/product/11.html
It started leaking on the bottom, it was old, so I chucked it. I want to replace it but with something a little stronger. It was nice because it held more than 5 gallons, had a valve on it and was thick plastic. What I don't want is something that is thin or square. I liked being able to slide it in between things in the cargo area. The short square ones have a large footprint and are hard to put on top or under other cargo. I also want to stay away from metal cans.

So what do you suggest? I'm thinking that because of my constraints and small cargo area I may end up with a collapsable. I just don't like how floppy and weak they are. They also tend to have a chessy and cheap valve on them.

4x4mike
07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
What about the Scepter water jugs? Anyone have or try them? I remember Scottiac having some and saying that they leaked. I want them to be leak free especially while semi-full in the cargo area while on trail. Any good places to check for pricing?

RobG
07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I use the Scepter 10L water jugs in the back of the 4runner for about 4 years now, never a leak. About to buy a 20L for the rear swing away. They are not the most convenient to use but the 10L's aren't too bad. They are very strong and I find them to seal very well, more important qualities to me than ease of use since I spend much more time hauling than using. I take my reliance 10L when the campground has water for daily use but don't trust it for transport.

Some people say the Scepters leak, never had that problem with either my gas or water cans yet. I highly recommend the Scepters.

habanero
07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Water jugs that is.

Oh. Oh well, nevermind then. :flipoff:

Bob98SR5
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Rob,

Where did you buy yours? I'm going to buy one or two in the near future.

bob

4x4mike
07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
They have them on several different sites if you do a search. All the sites are new to me and I don't know if certain ones deserve the business over others.

Good Times
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Mike,

I picked up my Scepter cans here:

http://www.equipt1.com

Great customer service too! I picked up 3 fuel cans and one of them got shipped with the wrong cap and he took care of sending me the replacement at no charge.

RobG
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Rob,

Where did you buy yours? I'm going to buy one or two in the near future.

bob

My buddy picked them up for me at a Rover Shop in Torrance when we are on a tight time line preparing for our Mojave road trip.

Here is one place that sells them for a reasonable price - http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/results.tam?rlk=1026711

I'll be ordering some this week so I'll let you know how I make out.

randver
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
i have used the Scepters ones for 12 yrs with the military and the only problem we ever really had is breaking off the air vent so they leak from them. but we also throw them around all the time and treat them worse then most people will ever treat there own. i have a 5g and 2.5g Scepters water can that i use for my self when camping and always take the 2.5g can when i go off roading.

never had any problems with the gas cans and we treated them almost as bad as the water cans.

slosurfer
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
^ x's 2

The vents were the only thing we had problems with. All our other ones worked fine unless driven over by a 26 ton AAV, oops. :tapedshut: All ours had to lay on their sides as well to fit in the vehicle and still did great.

4x4mike
07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I think I'm going to get the Specters from Brigade Quartermasters. They seem to have decent shipping. Now to get one or two?

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Bob98SR5
07-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Rob,

Thanks for the recommendation.

To all: anyone use the Scepter pump?

Good Times
07-08-2008, 12:49 AM
bob,

no pump here but I just use the super siphon. I also have the spout but I don't use that one. The siphon gets the job done.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=18300&cat=0&page=1

Bob98SR5
07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
im considering this for extra biodiesel or wvo storage (whichever i go with...still mulling on that one), but i need a pump to get the golden goodness into the tank. ive see this device that uses a standard drill to pump fuel, so that might be the one i pursue as the low buck option if this scepter one does not work or is too pricey for what its worth

Piett
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
FYI

I just tried to buy 3 of the Scepter MFCs and nozzle from Brigade Quartermaster. They took my order online as usual but then a day later I got this response:

"Thank you for your recent order. I regret to inform you that the fuel cans and all parts/ accessories pertaining to the cans are restricted. They have been restricted nationwide and cannot ship to any state unless they are purchased by a Government purchase. Due to this fact, unfortunately we had to cancel the order. We apologize for the inconvenience and if there is anything else that we can help you with please let us know

Thank You,
Customer Service
Brigade Quartermasters"

I just called and talked to Paul at www.equipt1.com and he doesn't have any either. Scepter as a company has stopped shipping to US distributors in Dec 2007.

BTW, if you already have a MFC and need a nozzle you can use the water can nozzle no problem. It threads on perfectly and works on vehicle filler openings. These you can still buy.

Anyone else have any luck in buying any MFCs recently?

4x4mike
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
There has been a restriction on fuel cans. Something about sealing and not letting vapors get into the air. If you look around most stores that have gas cans use a funky filler nozzle. I had to buy couple and have been disappointed. I think I'm going to swipe an old one my dad has and keep my eye out on craigslist and garage sales. I think there is a thread somewhere on UY regarding the restriction. It may have only included CA though.

FWIW I didn't get an email regarding my water jug.

Robinhood4x4
07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I heard that about the scepter fuel cans. I was waiting to hear if you guys would have any luck. I ended up getting the nato cans from cheaper than dirt.

Regarding the CARB compliant fuel cans, that's been the law for years in CA now and it's spreading to other states too. What the idiots don't realize is the good cans don't leak all over the place like the carb compliant ones do.

4x4mike
07-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I think there was a thread about the NATO cans and not being able to get thme shipped to CA. SO if you had a NATO can strapped to the back of your rig could you get a ticket? Weither or not it is old or new or if it was brought into the state after the law?

4runnerchevy
07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
The new carb compliant ones don't seem to fit my filler neck too well. The spout, from my older cans, seem to fit the newer ones. So I carry a newer can and just put the older spout on when needed.

4x4mike
07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
My shipment came today, about a week and a half wait. Anyways, I only ordered one and it's nice. I've been fondling my new jug this evening and found that it's very high quality. It's got some weight to it even when empty which is good because the old one was thin and flimsy. I filled it and put it on it's side and I must report that my new upgraded jug doesn't have any embarrassing leaks.

paddlenbike
07-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Glad you like your jugs, I bet you can't wait to show them off. :D

4x4mike
07-17-2008, 07:03 AM
I bet you can't wait to show them off.

It would have to be in person. I don't know how I feel about posting that kind of stuff on the internet.

slosurfer
07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I didn't know that you could only order one nice new plastic one. Now you have mismatched jugs. (.Y.) :flipoff:

YotaGirl
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
LOL I was wondering when all bewbie remarks would start. Hehehe

2ndGen
07-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I use those Tide contianers, never failed. i've never been on a long trip, thou. normally i brought 2 for a day/night trip, never consumed more than 1/3 of 1 can, but better be safe than sorry.

http://avronforkids.com/images/114-800.jpg