PDA

View Full Version : Custom 3rd gen 4Runner CB antenna mount

Seanz0rz
07-13-2008, 03:45 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/DSC02498.jpg

I have decided to produce and sell these brackets as I feel there is a deficit of quality, purpose built CB antenna mounts for the 3rd generation 4runners. These brackets mount under the rubber pad for the rear door (requiring minor modification with a sanding drum on a Dremel) and use 2 additional screws to ensure a solid mounting to the body.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/DSC02499.jpg

I have been using a 4 foot Firestik II antenna for a full year with this mount, without a spring, and never had either the antenna break or the mount fail. Fully welded of 1/8th inch steel and powder coated by Loudin’s, a fellow member and sponsor of this site. Help support both of us and get in return a quality, hand crafted, and purpose built mount that was designed for the vehicle.

I built mine out of total frustration with the generic door jamb mount that was never intended for a vehicle that has a lift up rear door. This mount pushes the antenna away from the door, keeping it away from being hit by the door during normal operation, while keeping it close enough to the vehicle to prevent it being ripped off by trees on the trail.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/DSC02500.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/DSC02501.jpg

Each bracket comes with satin black powder coat, all the necessary mounting hardware, detailed instructions, and Firestik antenna hardware. $40 + shipping costs, an amazing deal considering the worthless Firestik mount is sold for 21 dollars and does not work well for our vehicle.

here is the catch, i need at least 5 people to order to get you that price. i will give this 2 weeks to soak and collect interest. thank you for your time!

MasterWIII
07-14-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm in! This will work out great as I've just been trying to figure out where to mount my own Firestik...yep count me.

Seanz0rz
07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
cool! thanks for the interest. ill put you down on the list.

any other takers?

Seanz0rz
07-19-2008, 11:26 AM
back on top for the weekend crew. so far i have 2 takers, anyone else?

Skrillah
07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Hmmm...that does look like a great design. Let me think on that one...

Seanz0rz
07-19-2008, 04:12 PM
ive finished a redesign in cad, next is to go cut and burn it together and see if i like it better. the mounting system is much improved.

question, would you guys prefer to pay more for a rubber door bumper that are already modified, or can you do the modification yourself?

thook
07-20-2008, 12:40 AM
OOOHHHH! Now I see what you're talking about. Okay. I would swear you mentioned possibly fabbing one for 2nd gens, though.

Interestingly, I believe I have/had one of those CB antennas. Found it somewhere, but didn't know what it was for. Looked cool, so I grabbed it. I think I chunked it, though. Hmmm...

Nice mount, btw.

Whitey
07-20-2008, 08:12 AM
ive finished a redesign in cad, next is to go cut and burn it together and see if i like it better. the mounting system is much improved.

question, would you guys prefer to pay more for a rubber door bumper that are already modified, or can you do the modification yourself?

Don't worry about the rubber. You're going to want to keep costs as low as possible to avoid the mount itself costing more than many peoples CB's.

P.S. What kind of range do you get with that mounting location?

Nick
07-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Keep the costs as low down as possible. I think with all the incredible modifications people do around here, we can tackle a rubber bumper A-OK.

Seanz0rz
07-20-2008, 11:34 AM
most of my range problems have been because of geological interferences (mountains, etc). out in the openness of the mojave preserve we were getting at least a mile, though there are many variables.

here is a quick mockup of my new design, going to go tack one together and test fit, then start producing them. these should be even stronger and more stable than my personal mount.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/bracket.jpg

doing an initial run of 10, and after i sell those ill gauge demand on producing a second run.

thanks for your interest and comments.

Whitey
07-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Any progress on the new design?

Seanz0rz
07-28-2008, 08:18 PM
been kinda preoccupied with sick pets. plan to get something done by the end of the week, and i was hoping to get them sent out to the PC by the end of the week but it might be mid next week.

ill keep this thread updated. stay tuned!

Whitey
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
How about a price for a non PC'd bracket without the antenna hardware? I'm thinking that most of us that have the firestick, already have the necessary hardware too.

Seanz0rz
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
id estimate around 25 dollars, i would have to look at my actual per unit cost.

Whitey
08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Cool man, let me know. I'm heading to the mountains next week. I'm sure you'll keep us updated.

Seanz0rz
08-03-2008, 05:14 PM
yea if you want a non PC'd one then i could probably get it to you by the end of the week.

MasterWIII
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Bump for a nice custom antenna mount...

Seanz0rz
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
thanks for the bump. im having a hard time getting around to finishing these. between the constant maintance on the 4runner and being sick for going on 3 weeks now, its difficult. i start school next week, but im hoping to have a little time to get em cranked out and off to J to be PC'd.

after long conversations with suppliers, i have decided to NOT offer the mount with any hardware but what you need to attach it to your vehicle. the price will be changed accordingly. when you purchase your antenna and cable, you will also need to purchase suitable hardware that is compatable with your antenna (nearly universal) and with your cable(choice between ring or standard connector)

Tankota
11-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Are you getting these laser cut somewhere. How about the welding, is it your own or done by a production shop. Neat idea though.
Have you thought about trying to sell them to a retailer on a larger scale basis. Someone like WabFab or another smaller parts seller?

Seanz0rz
11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
nah, they will be hand crafted off a master i have created, hand welded in a jig. later on i might have them stamped or cut or something, i would have to look into the costs and projected demand for this product.

i do not want to sell it to a 3rd party distributor. this keeps the cost down for you guys buying the products, and i much rather be involved with my customers directly.

Seanz0rz
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
bump, looks like ill be making another batch, seeing what kind of interest i have now. ill probably make 10.

NakSuKow
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Are you still making these?

Seanz0rz
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
ive misplaced my jig for welding them up, it probably fell in a trash bin or something, ive searched everywhere. i am planning on making more soon though.

rlandry6
08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Would it fit, or have you considered modifying it to fit the Tundra and tacoma trucks. I don't off-road in my Tundra, but I would like to have a permanent antenna mount that didn't have me drill a hole in the top of a new truck..Just a thought..

Seanz0rz
08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
i looked briefly at the tailgates of trucks and didnt find much in the way of a GOOD mounting spot. next time i have one around ill look.

still havent made more of these, been busy with other stuff. maybe soon.

04 Rocko Taco
08-01-2010, 10:19 PM
take a look at a 1st gen sometime Sean, I dont think it would take to much modification for the early 4runners, and I would like to have one of these. :)

Seanz0rz
08-02-2010, 08:09 AM
i did. i could certainly make one, but i doubt it would be very good. the 3rd gen has the rubber pad and 2 large bolts existing, which really help keep it stable. so far, no other vehicle ive come across has a similar setup.

04 Rocko Taco
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
could it no go behind the tailgate catch on the body side of the rear with those two bolts? (that COULD possible be only one bolt.... ) or would that move the catch far enough to interfere with its operation?

corax
08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
could it no go behind the tailgate catch on the body side of the rear with those two bolts? (that COULD possible be only one bolt.... ) or would that move the catch far enough to interfere with its operation?

not trying to hijack your thread Sean, but here's what I did (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=4256.msg59615#msg59615) Rocko - simple enough to drill a few holes and remove the tail light to bolt it together, don't forget a minor notch in the top of the tail light for the coax
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk171/batardsalamano/cb%20mount/100_2737.jpg

snowboarder919
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
have you made any new ones for the 3rd gens? i have mine mounted on my front bumper right now but i would really like to run it on my rear bumper!

do you have a price for them too? thanks a lot!!

Seanz0rz
08-09-2010, 08:13 PM
i havent made any in a while. i have misplaced my jig for them, so im not sure when i will get back to making them. price is around 50 dollars, but it depends on material cost.