PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Color laser jet printer

kmcc78240
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
I need a work horse printer, does anyone of suggestions? Had an HP 3800 that bit the dust last week, Would like something a bit better, less paper jams (some stupid sensor), quality was good

mastacox
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Color Laserjets are so cheap these days it's frickin' ridiculous! I remember when they were multiple-thousands of dollars. I saw a Color Laserjet at Sam's the other day for under $300, I seriously considered buying it even though I don't really print that much color stuff... Here's the link-

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=398889

Not sure about quality, but I've always found HP's to be very reliable and their tech support is good too. Get the Sam's extended 3-year service agreement with it, and you're golden.

Good Times
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I have to agree with Brian, the prices of color lasers have come down significantly! Wow that's a great deal on that HP.

Definitely stick to HP. can't go wrong.

Nick
07-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I would avoid HP like the plague. I realize this contradicts the two previous posts, maybe you guys had good experiences...unlike me :stir:

My HP 720 died, I got a replacement, which also went in less then six months. I had two HP 960s, both of which died within a year. I recently had a 6940 Deskjet in my possession, it was A-OK until it started dripping ink. Only had it as a loaner for a month. The place where I used to work had one of those enormous HP rigs, which was always breaking/not working somehow, half the time it was out of ink (mysteriously!) or not printing queued items.

Here's a PC World chart of top rated laser printers (July '08) and HP is the very last one on the list.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/123839-1/article.html

There are better choices! Read up on reviews of whatever model before you buy it! Good luck :)

PS. I have a Canon PIXMA 5000 which I use infrequently for printing out forms and such (it only has black ink in it, I don't print color) and it's given me no trouble for the 2 or so years I've had it.

kmcc78240
07-22-2008, 09:21 AM
thanks guys, I am limbo with HP It worked great until the cartidge lock broke 400 dollars to fix it. Our other HP same model is going good however it thinks it has a paper jam. Every tech guy I have talked to so far has said HP is the way to go. Still undecided thanks for the info and reviews.

mastacox
07-22-2008, 10:06 AM
thanks guys, I am limbo with HP It worked great until the cartidge lock broke 400 dollars to fix it. Our other HP same model is going good however it thinks it has a paper jam. Every tech guy I have talked to so far has said HP is the way to go. Still undecided thanks for the info and reviews.

If you buy from Sam's, Circuit City, or Best Buy, I know their "Extended Service Agreements" are excellent deals. Say you bought that printer from Sam's and got the 3-year Service Agreement (for $40), if the printer breaks down in 2-years you'll either get a new one or the price of the printer back (in two years that model will probably be gone anyway, which means you'll probably get your money back and can just buy the latest printer at that time). Basically, it's insurance since consumer-grade electronics tend to have a relatively short lifespan (this includes all brands, HP, Dell, Lexmark, Xerox, whatever).

kmcc78240
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info