PDA

View Full Version : New hardware-need advice

AxleIke
07-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Got a new handgun-S&W 44 mag.

Very comfortable grip, but I have one problem

It is full titanium construction, purchased mainly for carrying while hiking/backpacking.

Unloaded it weighs 24 oz.

The issue is that after 12 rounds (six shooter, so one reload), my hand HURTS.

Any advice other than "man up"? My accuracy starts to drop sharply as the pain increases. It just packs a hell of a punch.

Thanks for any help.

Robinhood4x4
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I know the feeling. I picked up a SW 642 airweight that weighs 15 oz unloaded. Shooting +P's I can only get in about 3-4 reloads before I have to rest.

Here's a thread about taming the 642, which should give you some ideas for yours. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-guns/45145-how-do-you-tame-recoil-s-w-642-a.html

Basically, they say get some big, soft rubber grips.

04 Rocko Taco
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM
well look on the bright side, anything that is big enough and mean enough to need 12 shots, and then some more, is probably so big that accuracy isnt an issue, just point in that general direction and you'll hit it. :)

corax
07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
well look on the bright side, anything that is big enough and mean enough to need 12 shots, and then some more, is probably so big that accuracy isnt an issue, just point in that general direction and you'll hit it. :)

if something can take a dozen .44 slugs, I'd think about running at that point . . .

oly884
07-30-2008, 08:19 AM
I know the feeling. I picked up a SW 642 airweight that weighs 15 oz unloaded. Shooting +P's I can only get in about 3-4 reloads before I have to rest.

Here's a thread about taming the 642, which should give you some ideas for yours. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-guns/45145-how-do-you-tame-recoil-s-w-642-a.html

Basically, they say get some big, soft rubber grips.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=14767&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15704

I got to shoot this one, 12 oz empty, 120 grn +P's.

Let's just say I am not a fan of that gun. My buddy uses it for a carry, but I honestly see no point in carrying a gun THAT light unless you are really concerned about weight. Unless your hand is made of steel, it's a one shot one kill gun because by the time you line up for a second shot, the person/animal is either dead or on you.

I managed to shoot 5 rounds. 1st shot was pretty good, the other 4 were not even on the paper... says a lot about developing a flinch, eh?

Ike, I'd suggest some good gloves, good handles, and practice. I did notice that when shooting my buddy's S&W, allowing the recoil to take the gun over your head allows for a little less pain. Attempting to shoot it like an autoloader (my mistake the first time) is just asking for serious pain.

CJM
07-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Soft rubber grips, hogue makes very good ones AFAIK. Otherwise there isnt much else you can do, the lightness of the gun is not absorbing the recoil like a heavier gun would.

Robinhood4x4
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
The nice thing about the weight is that I can slip it in my pocket and forget about it.

oly884
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
The nice thing about the weight is that I can slip it in my pocket and forget about it.

Quite true, one of the very nice things about those ultra light style revolvers.

I just couldn't see myself owning one from the situation where a follow up shot was needed. Of course there is no way to say how one would react in a situation where you needed to fire your pistol. You may not notice the recoil at all, on the other hand, it may go flying out of your hand...

I'd just rather not take the risk unless it was absolutely necessary to carry something that light.

AxleIke
07-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Gents. Good advice all around. I will be looking into those things.

I agree that it is silly to have something so light except to carry, and that one shot had better be sufficent.

However, I suck with a handgun, and thus need to practice so that if the situation ever arose, I could hit something with one shot, even if I was excited or panicked. So I practice.

I hope to never have a situation arise where this is needed. Its there if something does.

When backpacking, you feel every ounce. Lighter is definitely better.

Cheese
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Easy solution? I will lend you my paws.

On the one hand, lighter is better. On the other hand, when it hurts to practice so you avoid it, you may find yourself in a pickle with a nice gun.

With hunting and protection, the light is nice to carry and the adrenaline of actual use will help, the problem is all the other shots you will take with that gun.

I have shot a 629 with a 6.5" barrel. That was pleasant but was twice the weight. Dang.

Good purchase. A friend use to say he spent all of his money on women and guns, the rest he just wasted.

oly884
07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks Gents. Good advice all around. I will be looking into those things.

I agree that it is silly to have something so light except to carry, and that one shot had better be sufficent.

However, I suck with a handgun, and thus need to practice so that if the situation ever arose, I could hit something with one shot, even if I was excited or panicked. So I practice.

I hope to never have a situation arise where this is needed. Its there if something does.

When backpacking, you feel every ounce. Lighter is definitely better.

In the case of backpacking, I couldn't agree more, every ounce counts. I don't think it's silly in the least bit, it's just preference. I'd sacrifice some weight to carry something a bit more manageable. For me, the recoil is felt a bit more considering I'm 5'8" and a whopping 140 lbs.

I'd carry my glock 20 or 29, possibly my mossberg 500 with the pistol grip depending on what I was concerned about (bear, cougar, dogs, people)

My 29 weighs in at almost 25oz empty and I can have 10+1 of some pretty hot loads (200 grns at ~1250 fps). Not 44 mag territory by any means, but if I can get 2 shots off in the time it would take me to get one off with a 44 mag, then I'd be more comfortable with my 29.

Once again, it's all preference and what you are comfortable with.

The key to any firearm is proficiency. I can get a 500 S&W, but if I can't hit the side of a bar with it, it won't do much good at all.

BruceTS
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM

buy a reloading press and make up some light loads to practice with.... 44 mag is simply over kill.

oly884
07-31-2008, 05:13 PM

buy a reloading press and make up some light loads to practice with.... 44 mag is simply over kill.

+1

A simple reloading press is a great thing to have, you can spend around $300 or so and get the press, dies, and all the various tools to go along with it.

Me, well, I'm saving up for this:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23877/catid/1/Super_1050

I have ~ 4000 .223 cases awaiting attention
~1000 10mm rounds
and a couple hundred 300 win mag and 300 weatherby loads to do.

Right now I have an RCBS turret press which is great, but nothing beats a progressive reloader.

Cheese
07-31-2008, 05:44 PM
David, I don't know of any all black guns that shoot 300 WBY, have you been broadening your horizons?

Isaac, which one is it exactly? I couldn't find a 44 that matched that weight. Better yet, wave it at me and I will look south. :laugh:

oly884
08-01-2008, 05:24 AM
David, I don't know of any all black guns that shoot 300 WBY, have you been broadening your horizons?

Haha, yup, that I have! I have recently picked up a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight. Blue spiderweb stock, and a stainless fluted barrel.

Cheese
08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
That is a sweet piece, but must be a handful, they are superlight, like 6-7 pounds, right?

Good work.

oly884
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
With the scope, I'm about 7.5 lbs.

20 rounds at the range and I'm done. I also wake up with my shoulder looking a few shades of purple in places.

I'm working on some loads right now, but the sweet one thus far is the 180 grn. Barnes TSX's @ 3200 fps.

AxleIke
08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Again, thanks for the help.

Soft grip plus uber cheap solution of wearing fingerless biking gloves made things much better.

AxleIke
08-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Isaac, which one is it exactly? I couldn't find a 44 that matched that weight. Better yet, wave it at me and I will look south. :laugh:

S&W Air Light PD. Model is 329PD.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews103555.html

oly884
08-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Beautiful gun you have there!

fustercluck
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, you could buy a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull and shoot .45 Long Colt rounds for practice. 45LC has a fairly tame recoil when shot from a monster like the RB.

The Bull is not going to be carry friendly though. Perhaps a .357 mag airlite and practice with .38 special rounds. Basic laws of physics always apply. want to reduce felt recoil? Increase mass or reduce force. The .357 mag revolver will allow practice with lighter recoil and carry power while remaining a lighter burden of weight.

fustercluck
08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Parenthetically, an added bonus to a revolver over an auto loader is that when policing brass with a revolver, one need not bend over or crawl on the floor examining which brass is his and which is someone else's. Just pivot the cylinder and retrieve the brass.

A tip for you auto loader guys though. If policing brass is your thing, mark your rounds before shooting. This way you can distinguish yours from the others'