PDA

View Full Version : Which TV is Better, LCD or Plasma?

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Since Tom's thread on his finished basement is likely to be swamped with TV comments, I thought I'd start one for all the flat screen TV affectionados to comment, ask questions etc.

I have a 42" LG plasma EDTV (852 x 480) since when I bought it the HD plasmas were still over $3500 for a 42" and like $6-7k for a 50" set (in Canada). I might move up in a few years, but not until the 50" 720+ resolution sets are below $2k (and my next set will likely be an LCD not a plasma). Even then I'm not sure my eyes are even good enough to see alot more detail (beyond 720 maybe) from my couch.....even the EDTV is amazing compared to regular CRTs.

I love watching NFL in HD on my TV and it makes a huge difference over regular programming (regular shows look pretty bad unless you are sitting at a decent distance from the set). They really need to improve the HD offering (up here at least, not sure what you guys are getting for programming down there in the states but we maybe get like 10 real channels of HD and none include spike TV, Discovery, TLC, HGTV, History, or any other of my favorites) before I get a craving for a true HD TV.

I wrote a review on mine on Epinions:
http://www.epinions.com/content_209218080388

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 07:15 AM
There was also some question as to which protocol was better, HDMI or component.

I read this on the net first:

"It is often supposed by writers on this subject that "digital is better." Digital signal transfer, it is assumed, is error-free, while analog signals are always subject to some amount of degradation and information loss. There is an element of truth to this argument, but it tends to fly in the face of real-world considerations. First, there is no reason why any perceptible degradation of an analog component video signal should occur even over rather substantial distances; the maximum runs in home theater installations do not present a challenge for analog cabling built to professional standards. Second, it is a flawed assumption to suppose that digital signal handling is always error-free. DVI and HDMI signals aren't subject to error correction; once information is lost, it's lost for good. That is not a consideration with well-made cable over short distances, but can easily become a factor at distance."

After reading the article I had asked Reggie...

"Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I was aware HDMI is no different in perception than using DVI or Component for video and Optical or Digital Coax for the sound. The only difference being that HDMI simply puts them all into a single connector for convienence vs the other forms requiring multiple cables for the same result? I understand that they method of delivery is slightly different technically (HDMI vs DVI vs component.....TMDS vs Y,Pb,Pr), but that the overall effect is exactly the same? In addition to that I was told that component video actually has the least amount of signal loss due to the use of shielded cable vs the HDMI which often craps out at just over 20 ft or so (using common cables)?"

and his reply...

"A lot of true and maybes again.

If a quality 3ghz high res cable is used yes you would probably not see any difference. We make our own component cables on really long runs. The thing to keep in mind is they are trying to go to a hand shaking encryption method ( way to early for me cant remember name ) this will only work over a digital connection and the industry is moving towards HDMI, have not heard it working over DVI. there is also talk of releasing a new HDMI standard soon also. So new display purchases, make sure you have at least 2 if not more HDMI ports. or your new DVD might not sync to your display if you hook it up a different way.

Again you have to use a quality cable here too. We have put in quite a few 50' HDMI cables. Works good last a long time. but the cost will bite you in the behind. want to say off the top of my head MY cost is around $350."

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 07:17 AM
If you have a flatscreen TV post it up so we can see the specs (make, model, specs if you got them handy, when you bought it, how much, where, etc)

reggie 00
04-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Which display is better will depend on what you are doing. Plasmas generally have a better black level and pixel refresh rate. LCD is usually brighter but unless you get a nicer one the refresh rate is slower 8ms and that affects pic quality.

The cable thing. The new deal is HDCP, the way around if you have a new player and an old TV, component. But they may find a way to lock out stuff if you don't hook up digitally so they can protect stuff.
HDMI is not really regulated. You see the HDMI label on stuff doesnt mean that it is the latest and greatest. They have no quality assurance for who does and doesnt use the label.
Another problem is the versions out. 1.3 is coming out, larger bandwidth, faster speeds ect. Problem is not all displays will support, and in some instances no way to upgrade. This is why we steer alot of flat screen sales to industrial models, so we can upgrade.

Can do some more later need caffeine and food. Have a good morning

TDiddy
04-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Pioneer Elite PRO-1140HD 50" Plasma

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069729_331404007_tab=B,00.html?compName =PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

Features
High-Definition Resolution WXGA - 1365 x 768
50'' Diagonal / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio
Panel Technology
Deep Encased Cell Structure
Crystal Emissive Layer
First-Surface Pro Color Filter
New Dielectric Layer
Pure Drive Video Features
Pure Drive II Signal Processing
ACE IV (Advanced Continuous Emission IV)
Active DRE (Dynamic Range Expansion)
Intelligent DRE (Dynamic Range Expansion)
Advanced PureCinema™
Intelligent Color Enhancement
Selectable Color Zone Mapping
Color Management System
Color Temperature Adjustment 5 Settings (High / Mid-high/ Mid / Mid-low / Low)
Digital Noise Reduction 4 Settings (Off / High / Mid / Low)
MPEG Noise Reduction 4 Settings (Off / High / Mid / Low)
Block Noise Reduction
Digital CTI (Color Transient Improver)
Natural Resize
Natural Enhancer
Digital Chroma Decoder
ISFccc Calibration Ready
Convenience Features
Fully Integrated Media Receiver
Dual NTSC and ATSC Tuners with CableCard™ Interface
Independant HDMI® Inputs. Ability to accept 1080p/24Hz signal
TV Guide ON Screen® Interactive Program Guide
A/V Selection Memory 6 Options ( Standard / Dynamic / PURE / Movie / Games / User)
Aspect Ratio Control 6 Positions ( Wide / Zoom / Cinema / Full / 4:3 / "Dot by Dot" for PC only)
Split Screen/Picture in Picture
160° Wide Viewing Angle
V-Chip Parental Control
Table Top Stand
Illuminated remote control with preset/learning mode
Home Media Gallery
Supported Audio Formats LPCM, MP3, WMA, WMA9 PRO, AC3, AAC, WAV
Supported Video Formats WMV9, MPEG1, MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG-ASP
Supported Photo Formats JPG, TIFF, PNG, BMP, GIF
Microsoft® PlaysForSure™ No-hassle playback of Microsoft PlaysForSure audio or video content.
IP Network Compatible - DLNA™ Compliant
Inputs
Independent Dual HDMI
Component Video RGB HV (2 rear / 1 side)
A/V Composite (2 rear / 1 side)
S-Video (2 Rear)
S/R
RS-232C
LAN (10/100 Base-T) - Ethernet
PC
USB - Mass Storage Class
Outputs
Speakers (L/R)
SR+ Output
Sound Technology
Detachable Side Speakers
13 Watt Stereo Amplifier with TruBass® 2-Way Stereo Speakers
Bass Boost Loudness
Dimensions
Display - Without Speakers 48-3/16 x 28-1/4 x 4-1/2
Display Weight 75 lbs. 10oz.

Purchased from Audio-Video Logic, Urbandale IA, $3500 I think, 2/14/07
http://www.audio-logic.com/

reggie 00
04-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Bedroom:
Sharp Aquos LC-26d40u

Panel Type 26'' Active Matrix (a-si TFT) Advanced Super View LCD
Pixel Resolution Wide XGA (1366 x 768)
Video System NTSC/ATSC
Brightness 450 cd/m2
Lamp Life 60,000 hours
Viewing Angles 176 H / 176 V
Audio System 10W + 10W
Contrast Ratio 1200:1

Aspect Ratio 16:9
View Modes Sidebar, Smart Stretch, Stretch, Zoom
HDMI Input HDMI x 2
HD Component Input Y/Pr/Pb x 2
S-Video Input 4 Pin DIN x 1
Composite Video Input RCA x 3
Table Stand Included
Audio Inputs/Outputs RCA x 3
Dimensions (w x h x d) Including table stand and speakers: 683 x 553 x 273 mm
Without table stand, with speakers: 683 x 499 x 115 mm
Weight Including table stand and speakers: 16 kg
Without table stand, with speakers: 13.5 kg
Limited Warranty 1 year parts and labour
ENERGY STAR® Yes

Price :tongueout:

Haven't got around to the living room yet (it will be DLP like 73" waiting on money and new led tech to take hold) :headscratch: have started with the Sony 400 Disk DVD player and waiting on my RTI T2 C remote :D

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
We do some visual signage stuff here at work, and we stick to LCDs. We've had several plasma burn through.

We've got a 40" NEC LCD, 3 42" Westinghouse LCDs, and a 50" Samsung plasma in our offices. Mostly all just for testing. If you can spend the extra money, the NECs are supper nice. Extremely well built--the back is aluminum and it has a thick layer of glass protecting the screen. These are what we have been using in all our new installs and we will be putting up 30 in the next month or so. Some with touchpanel overlays and mini PCs mounted on them. We have several 50" Samsungs with toughpanel overlays around campus, but the LCD are better for reasons mentioned above. The Westinghouses are junk. We just use them as computer monitors since we can't install them anywhere.

Anyways, just my $.02.
Daniel

96 Runner
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I prefer LCD televisions. We have a 20" Sharp flat panel from Costco in the kitchen and like it a lot. We picked it up for $250 ($50 coupon). I've had the opportunity to watch HDTV on both a plasma (Samsung) and LCD (Vizio, Sony, LG) and I prefer the LCD TV's. LCD is much easier to see from side viewing angles and in rooms with a great deal of ambient light; that pretty much describes the room where our future flat-panel will be going. So, LCD it is for us.

reggie 00
04-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I prefer LCD televisions. We have a 20" Sharp flat panel from Costco in the kitchen and like it a lot. We picked it up for $250 ($50 coupon). I've had the opportunity to watch HDTV on both a plasma (Samsung) and LCD (Vizio, Sony, LG) and I prefer the LCD TV's. LCD is much easier to see from side viewing angles and in rooms with a great deal of ambient light; that pretty much describes the room where our future flat-panel will be going. So, LCD it is for us.

LCD is the king in lots of light rooms.
Just pay attention to the refresh rate. Plasmas generally look better cause they have a faster rate. A good LCD should be hitting around 8ms, a really good one will be around 6ms.

96 Runner
04-11-2007, 07:05 PM

LCD is the king in lots of light rooms.
Just pay attention to the refresh rate. Plasmas generally look better cause they have a faster rate. A good LCD should be hitting around 8ms, a really good one will be around 6ms.

Thanks. If I recall correctly you were very knowledgable on this topic (other forum). I will look at the refresh rate, among other things, before I pull the trigger on a "big" LCD for our great room.

reggie 00
04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I know enough to be dangerous.
When you find what you want let me know and i will let you know if there is anything to be leery of. And if there is or is not a better choice out there.

jrallan26
04-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Arent LCDs tougher? I heard nightmare stories of people moving with plasmas..

breknraj
04-25-2007, 04:10 PM
In my case (life at 10,500'), LCD is the only way to go. Plasmas don't usually last very long at altitude. I've had friends that have gotten them, and not gotten even 2 years out of them. They just don't seem to do well in thin air, for some reason.

LCDs are tried and true. I only have a 20" Norcent up in my loft, but I really like the picture, and plan to replace the other TVs with LCDs when they give up.

DavidA
04-27-2007, 07:28 AM
I have a Phillips 50" Plasma in the living room and a 37" Vizio LCD in the bedroom. I like both immensely, but if I could have afforded it I would have gone with LCD in the Living room also. The LCD seems much crisper sometimes.

Markduce
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I dont have a LCD or Plazma, but I do have a 720p DLP Projector throwing up a 106" screen. :thumbup:
Sure you need a low light room. Owell.