PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Info

MaK92-4Rnr
08-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Alrighty, I've been looking around as far as Engine swaps.

I just want some opinions on the 5VZ-FE, 1UZ-FE, 7M-GTE and the 2JZ-GTE

I really want the sound/power of a V8, but then the gas mileage scares the crap outta me.

Even though I just might go with the 5VZ-FE, I'd like some feedback on the others. Thanks.

would like to know:

Gas mileage
Power
etc etc.

just wanted to add. Anyone ever swapped in a 2UZ-FE?

corax
08-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm happy with my 7MGE (non-turbo). It'll get 19.5mpg cruising at 80 mph (4.56 gears/32" tires/speedometer dead on accurate), spirited stop and go driving still gets 18-19 mpg, towing a 3,500 lb 5x8 enclosed trailer cross country got 16-17 mpg (on 31's w/4.56 gears). If I feel brave enough, I know it'll pull the truck over 100mph. It has good throttle response and a wide power band, but still likes reving up to 6500rpm - though throttle response does seem a slight bit abrupt from idle to off idle (when I just crack the throttle - lower gears would help). The only downside to this swap is finding space in front of the engine for cooling

4runnerchevy
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
They are all good swaps, and have pretty much all been done. How much is your budget. Since you have a stocker then gas mileage wont be bad, no matter what you choose. I wont even try and convince yo of a Chevy conversion, on this website. I have done the 5MGE and 7MGE both great motors, but like corax said heating is an issue. Although my buddies 85 7MGE swap doesnt have a heating issue. There are good websites for all conversion, just search.

MaK92-4Rnr
08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok well. I dont plan on doing this anytime soon. but theres nothing against planning ahead :) I also dont plan on keeping my truck stock for very long. but at first i was thinking about doing the 5VZ-FE until I saw on Supracharged.com the 1UZ-FE swap. How does the 1UZ-FE do on MPG? how well does it fit in the truck? will there be any regrets if I do it later on? I love the sound of it and the power it produces via watching videos on youtube lol.

DHC6twinotter
08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't think the 1uz does that bad for gas mileage. I've never read any numbers, but I'm guessing it would be better than the 3.0. The 2uz is a heavier motor than the 1uz (2uz has a iron block for one thing), so I would prefer the 1uz myself. If you do go with a 1uz, look for the non VVTi version (look for a motor older than '98). Even though the non VVTi versions make less hp, they are easier to wire, and are considered to be a bit stronger (stronger connecting rods, IIRC).

If you are interested in a uz motor swap, I would check out lextreme.com, and uzswap.com. Lots of good info.

This guy did a 2uz swap in his pickup. Not much info there though. http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4880

Twisty has a very awesome 2nd gen 4Runner with a 1uz: http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=37.15

Cebby's 1uz swap in progress:
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2653

The 7mgte swap has been done before, and I'm pretty sure the 2jzgte swap has been done as well. Both are great engines, but their lengths add some challenge to the project.

Just my $.02.

MaK92-4Rnr
08-07-2008, 08:29 AM
some of these come with VVT-I? I seriously would wanna get one with VVT-I. Coming from a GS-R with V-TEC. I would shizzle my pants if my 4runner had the VVT-I. How much more difficult is the wiring?

there a possible way of using the stock manual tranny with a 1UZ?

What do I need to perform the swap exactly? ( wiring harness? ECU? Transmission? )

DHC6twinotter
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Yep, the '98+ 1uz has VVT-I. Also, the newer 2uz and all 3uz motors have VVT-I. '95 was when Lexus (or Toyota) went to the thinner connecting rods on the 1uz. If you ever plan on adding forced induction (some folks are running cheap superchargers off mustangs or lightning with custom intake manifolds on the 1uz) and don't plan on replacing the internals first, I would purchase a 1uz older than '95. They are fairly cheap to come by as well.

http://www.lextreme.com/rods/IMG_0070.JPG

I have no clue on wiring or the ecu, other than you will need the ones out of the donor vehicle. Some folks have had issues trying to get the speedo to work right, but I think that depends on the transmission you choose. Sorry I can't help you much there.

I'm assuming you have a V6 4Runner with a manual tranny. If this is the case, you would have an R150 transmission. Lexus/Toyota never put a manual tranny behind the 1uz or 3uz, and IIRC, the 2uz was available in a very very few countries with a 5spd (but don't quote me on that). The R series transmissions found behind the 3vze, 5vze, and 22RET can be mated to the 1uz using a bell housing from Dellows or CRS. Both of these are Australian companies, and do ship to the U.S. IIRC, Dellows uses a 1 piece bell housing, while CRS uses a 2 piece. You will also need a custom flywheel and possibly some other stuff (slave cylinder, etc) from either one of these companies, or sourced yourself. Anyways, it is going to cost a pretty penny to put a manual behind a 1uz.

That is about as much as I know about doing a manual 1uz swap. If you are really interested in doing this swap, I would encourage you to become a member of lextreme.com. I've spent hours and hours reading the stuff on that site. Those folks really know their stuff. One guy is even working on a 5.2 liter 1uz. :thumbup:

Anyways, hope that helps a bit.

MaK92-4Rnr
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Well i was researching it around a little bit to find out how much the motor itself would cost for a non vvti one. I think I like the 500-600 ish better than the 1500. I can just supercharge the non vvti one anyway. but this is what i came up with on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-Lexus-1UZ-FE-LS400-SC400-V8-LOW-MILEAGE-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ019QQi temZ290250661984QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

low miles and pretty cheap if you ask me eh? :)

I love manuals. so I'd probably go through the whole stage of trying to make it a manual 1UZ-FE. But the problem is. im not really educated on the whole swapping things. And i dont know how to weld. So Bolt ons are my thing :) lol lame I know...

DHC6twinotter
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I've never done a swap myself and haven't learned how to weld yet either. I really would like a manual 1uz myself, so I've just done a bit of reading on it.

The easiest swap, other than another 3.0, would probably be the 3.4. It's a good motor, and much easier if you want a 5spd.

That's a pretty fair deal for a 1uz. The going price for a low mileage 1uz shipped seems to be right around a grand. Not bad at all. I've heard of some folks just buying a complete LS400 or SC400 and, after removing the engine and required wiring, parting out the rest of the car and actually coming out ahead. That's probably the route I would be taking, if I ever do this.

Also, forgot to add a couple other things. The 1uz has a hydraulic fan. If you end up running electric fan(s), you can use the pulley mount off the 2uz, to negate the need for the hydraulic fan pump, much like Cebby did on his swap. You may also need a body lift, or hood modifications for proper fit. Lastly, you will need a 1uz with an oil pan from a LS400 to clear the front diff, and even then, you may need to clearance it a bit. On IFS trucks, Exhaust may be somewhat tricky too, depending on how low you get your engine to sit.

So, definitely a somewhat involved swap, but enough people have done it to at least give you an idea of what needs to be done.

MaK92-4Rnr
08-08-2008, 07:21 AM
The only problem here is I dont have the experience with engine related topics. Sure i'd like to learn but im more of a visual kind of a guy than read a book and find out.

I understand that swapping a 1uz apparently is going to be really expensive with:

Buying the engine
New fan
Oil pan from LS400
exhaust mishap
Manual conversion kit
Lift to fit the engine
Custom Flywheel
and not to mention other stuff

Now that without installation is going be a crap load. Unless of course I can get someone to help me out a little bit here in california. as much as i'd like to have a v8 in my baby, I might just still go with the 3.4

4runnerchevy
08-08-2008, 07:24 AM
With a 3.4 you can just buy a kit.

MaK92-4Rnr
08-08-2008, 09:57 AM
How much would that run me you think?

corax
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
from the ORS - Off Road Solutions (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles.htm) site

Average Costs
Here is a rough idea of the money you may spend on this swap:

Using ORS Full Conversion Kit Using ORS Standard Conversion Kit
Engine and OEM parts: $2,000 Engine and OEM parts: $2,000
Conversion kit: $1,700 Conversion kit: $1,150
Exhaust parts: $750 Exhaust parts: $750
Miscellaneous: $300 Miscellaneous: $300
Total: $4,750 Total: $4,200

4runnerchevy
08-08-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/engine_upgrades.htm

x2

MaK92-4Rnr
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
And that comes with Everything I need for the 3.4 swap?

4runnerchevy
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
from the ORS - Off Road Solutions (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles.htm) site

Average Costs
Here is a rough idea of the money you may spend on this swap:

Using ORS Full Conversion Kit Using ORS Standard Conversion Kit
Engine and OEM parts: $2,000 Engine and OEM parts: $2,000
Conversion kit: $1,700 Conversion kit: $1,150
Exhaust parts: $750 Exhaust parts: $750
Miscellaneous: $300 Miscellaneous: $300
Total: $4,750 Total: $4,200

At those prices, it makes me glad I went 4.3.. Of course if your a fabricator and have the proper tools then you could cut that price down.

MaK92-4Rnr
08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Well yeah... thats the problem. Im taking a mechanics class as an elective in college to maybe gain some more knowledge on this. (highly doubt they do engine swaps lol) but Like i said, No idea how to weld. But then again. I'll just look more into it when i actually blow my 3.0. Its already starting to make random noises. I shift at 3k rpms. when i rev it past 3k ( if i have my stereo turned down ) I can hear a very steady repetitive high pitch clicking noise. its probably just a valve. but its annoying.

302YotaBeast
08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I have recently purchased a '84 Toyota Pickup but instead of a 22R it came with a Ford 302. It still has 4x4 and it's a real beast. I was wondering what you guys think??
Plus I was wondering if I can get a price on a leaf to coil conversion?? I'm trying to lose the block lift.

I Bought the with....
A Ford 302 already installed
A Ford Bronco transfer case already installed
35" A/T's on American Racing rims
Rancho 2" or 4" lift
All after market gauges - only the speedo works
Rollbars in bed

All for $3000