PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new camera

Ric
08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
well my Canon Rebel XT is acting up, so its time to start looking for a new one, Im thinking the canon 30D or maybe the 40D, anyone have either ?
Lets here your personal experiances (with the cameras lol) :D

2ndGen
08-18-2008, 10:53 AM
i'd save some money just buy a point-'n-shoot camera, easy to use one-hand operation, less hold sensitive, decent lens.

if you really need a DSLR, then bite the bullet get the 5D and spend another $1000 for a good lens. buy the ones with USA warranty, NOT the grey market. you will know the difference when you need service.

couple websites to read:
www.dpreivew.com
www.digitalcamerareview.com
http://www.reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/

xonetruthcrewx
08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
The 40d is bad ass. Go with that. Or you could always go with a 20d, they can be had for super cheap these days. www.beachcamera.com always has really good deals.

Ric
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Ill checl out the 20D, thankx for the link :thumbup:

oly884
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
What is your price range? That will really dictate what camera you should look at.

Me, I'm loving the D300, but I also have been saving for a while for that sucker.

neliconcept
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
30d with a lens will be sufficient and will end up something around 1100 for the setup

20d will be about 300 less.

40d 300 more.

inless nikon has fixed that super gayness called noise at medium iso then i wouldnt bother with the nikon

xonetruthcrewx
08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
You could even go with a Digital Rebel Xti or the Xsi? Those two will take care of all your needs and you still wont have used the camera to its full potential. You will save a bit of money too.

oly884
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
inless unless nikon has fixed that super gayness called noise at medium iso then i wouldnt bother with the nikon

Have you read any reviews yet? My D300 does better at ISO3200 than my D70 did at ISO800.

Nikon has fixed the 'gayness' of noise. I suggest researching before you make uneducated comments like that. :roll:

Clearly it would be better to get a Canon because he probably has a few lenses, and switching isn't always the best solution unless you really want to. No need to get all fan-boy on us Blake.

Ric
08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
thankx for all the replies, please keep them coming...

Clearly it would be better to get a Canon because he probably has a few lenses, and switching isn't always the best solution unless you really want to
that would be nice, since I have two lens now, lol..

You could even go with a Digital Rebel Xti or the Xsi?
I thought about them also.

What is your price range? That will really dictate what camera you should look at.
Well, thats a tough one, lol I dont want to spend a lot of cash, but Id rather spend the cash now, and not worry about it later. Id say 2K at the VERY most, but if Id spend that much, Id like to get atleast one lens with the image stabilizer.

oly884
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
thankx for all the replies, please keep them coming...

Clearly it would be better to get a Canon because he probably has a few lenses, and switching isn't always the best solution unless you really want to
that would be nice, since I have two lens now, lol..

You could even go with a Digital Rebel Xti or the Xsi?
I thought about them also.

Well, thats a tough one, lol I dont want to spend a lot of cash, but Id rather spend the cash now, and not worry about it later. Id say 2K at the VERY most, but if Id spend that much, Id like to get atleast one lens with the image stabilizer.

2K will get you into quite a nice setup.

Just checking KEH I came across this:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DC01999096932M&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=Digital&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=2&BC=DC&BCC=3&CC=1&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Of course, if you hold out on a lens a bit, you can get this: http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DC029990976790&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=Digital&item=10&ActivateTOC2=&ID=2&BC=DC&BCC=3&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

It would be used, but EX condition is what I would consider new. Plus they are great about any problems you have. The 5D is a wonderful camera. The IS lenses are very nice to have, but it all depends on what you are shooting and where. When you upgrade to a camera like this, you'll be able to get much better photos at a higher sensitivity and possibly negate the need for an IS lens for a lot more photos.

Ric
08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
When you upgrade to a camera like this, you'll be able to get much better photos at a higher sensitivity and possibly negate the need for an IS lens for a lot more photos. true, i didnt think of that :thumbup:

ChickenLover
08-18-2008, 11:04 PM
I recently upgraded to a 40d. It's an awesome camera, and I highly recommend it. Before my purchase, I was also considering the 5d. After reading countless reviews on the two, I decided on the 40d, as it better suited my needs. It has more than twice the FPS rate of the 5d, a huge buffer, and a ton of custom functions. Photo quality between the two cameras is virtually identical.

If I were you, I'd skip over the 10, 20, and 30d - and go straight for the 40d. If you don't, I think you'll wish you had.

The color and clarity of the photos from the 40d are incredible. This camera makes my old digi rebel seem like a toy.

Ric
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I recently upgraded to a 40d. It's an awesome camera, and I highly recommend it. Before my purchase, I was also considering the 5d. After reading countless reviews on the two, I decided on the 40d, as it better suited my needs. It has more than twice the FPS rate of the 5d, a huge buffer, and a ton of custom functions. Photo quality between the two cameras is virtually identical.

If I were you, I'd skip over the 10, 20, and 30d - and go straight for the 40d. If you don't, I think you'll wish you had.

The color and clarity of the photos from the 40d are incredible. This camera makes my old digi rebel seem like a toy.

very good to know, thankx :thumbup:

Ric
08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
check out this site http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Ric
08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Just checked out the Nikon D80, thats real nice, and comes with the 18-220 IS lens :smokin:
but Im still looking :D

oly884
08-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Just checked out the Nikon D80, thats real nice, and comes with the 18-220 IS lens :smokin:
but Im still looking :D

D80 is a nice camera! I though about getting that instead of the D300, but that wasn't a long thought....

Unless you really feel like changing for whatever reason, I would suggest sticking with canon. Of course it depends on how much you have invested in your two lenses, if it's a lot, then stick with canon, if they are lower grade and you can sell them easily, then it doesn't hurt to look at all options.

Nikon or Canon, you can't go wrong with in today's market. Head to Best Buy and check out different cameras. Some camera stores will let you take a demo out for a while to get the feel of it, might not be a bad idea.

Ric
08-19-2008, 05:06 PM
i dont have have much at all in the lens, so i wouldnt be to heartbroken not to use them. right now, a huge plus for the Nikon is the lens, i really wouldnt need to change the lens.
I wouldnt sell the canon or the lens, cause my oldest said he wants to get into photography :D

neliconcept
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
inless unless nikon has fixed that super gayness called noise at medium iso then i wouldnt bother with the nikon

Have you read any reviews yet? My D300 does better at ISO3200 than my D70 did at ISO800.

Nikon has fixed the 'gayness' of noise. I suggest researching before you make uneducated comments like that. :roll:

Clearly it would be better to get a Canon because he probably has a few lenses, and switching isn't always the best solution unless you really want to. No need to get all fan-boy on us Blake.

yeah my bad on the spelling error.

how much of an improvement is the d300 over the d200? i have read reviews however, and only camera lineup id take is the d700, which seems to be better then the current 5d.

just my opinion

oly884
08-19-2008, 07:10 PM

yeah my bad on the spelling error.

how much of an improvement is the d300 over the d200? i have read reviews however, and only camera lineup id take is the d700, which seems to be better then the current 5d.

just my opinion

D300 is definitely an improvement over the D200, no contest there. The 5D is an amazing camera, and if he can budget for it, he may as well get it. The D700, now that is a camera that I'm drooling about. Or the rumored D3x

neliconcept
08-19-2008, 07:11 PM
im waiting for the so called 7d that may come out.

Ric, let us know what you get.

Ric
08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
yea, Ill for sure let ya all know what I get when I get it, but as of now, Im leaning towards the Nikon D80. Im thinking that should do me good, I dont plan on selling any pics, Im no where near, that good, lol
Please keep the comments coming :thumbup: