PDA

View Full Version : NHTSA closes Tacoma unintended acceleration investigation

Good Times
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Doh!

WASHINGTON -- Federal safety regulators have closed an investigation into unintended acceleration in Toyota Tacoma pickup trucks, saying their probe couldn't find a cause behind more than 400 complaints.
Advertisement

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last Wednesday denied a petition by a Tacoma owner who said his truck suffered two instances of sudden acceleration in January and noted 32 similar complaints to NHTSA. Toyota Motor Corp. told the agency earlier this year that 431 customers had complained of such events, including 51 crashes and 12 injuries.

But Toyota also had argued that many of the complaints were "inspired by publicity," and no flaws had been found in the truck. NHTSA's investigation covered 775,000 Tacomas built between the 2004 and 2008 model year.

"For those vehicles where the throttle control system did not perform as the owner believes it should have, the information suggesting a possible defect related to motor vehicle safety is quite limited," the agency said in its notice. "Additional investigation is unlikely to result in a finding that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists."

NHTSA typically ends probes that don't uncover a clear fault in vehicles. Over the past eight years, the agency has closed at least six other investigations into reports of unexpected or uncontrolled acceleration in vehicles without finding evidence of defects, and has said in the past that driver error is often the cause.

The agency said its investigators interviewed 64 customers who complained to the agency. In many of those cases, it said the complaints stemmed from engine controls that caused the Tacoma's engine to surge slightly, but would produce no or minimal extra power.

In 14 cases, investigators said loose floormats may have caused a problem, and in five cases found drivers had stepped on both the accelerator pedal and brake. But in 26 cases, including 13 crashes and four injuries, the agency found no explanation for the complaints.

Toyota told the NHTSA last month that most of the claims to itself and the agency dealt with minor engine speed changes that have no relation to safety, and that its own investigation last October of 12 trucks reported to have sudden acceleration problems found no defects.

No pickup model other than the Tacoma has garnered more than a few complaints of sudden acceleration to the agency in recent years.

The Tacoma uses a drive-by-wire system, where computer controls replace a direct physical connection between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. Toyota said its system was designed to report an error in case the accelerator pedal and throttle are mismatched, and that it has not found error codes in vehicles inspected either by technicians or mechanics at dealerships.

Contact JUSTIN HYDE at 202-906-8204 or jhyde@freepress.com.

Seanz0rz
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
this still worries me. same thing popped up with the prius, which is also drive by wire.

ive had floor mats ride up on the pedal, but i dont see how it would explain a sudden acceleration. also, what about the other models with this engine, FJ and 4runners? i have heard 0 reports of this happening. so you think that a floor mat would ride up on those pedals too no? are there different ecm's for the vehicles?

drive by wire scares the crap out of me. i like having that mechanical linkage. if i dont push the pedal, the butterfly valve doesnt move, and nothing happens...

i guess its good they cleared the vehicle... and people are stupid and press the wrong pedal all the time, look at all the old people mowing down people in farmers markets. hopefully the taco's reputation isnt tarnished by this.

corax
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
ive had floor mats ride up on the pedal, but i dont see how it would explain a sudden acceleration.

quite a few manufacturers have had problems with floor mats causing unwanted acceleration, even with regular throttle linkages. Sometimes it's the factory mats, but more often it happens when people buy other mats and just drop them on top of the factory ones (adding thickness/ new mat not anchored). What usually happens is the bottom edge of the pedal wedges itself into the floor mat and holds it in the applied position. Back when I was at an Acura dealership, I used to hear about the mat getting bunched up under the brake pedal, not allowing it to get pushed down all the way.

drive by wire scares the crap out of me. i like having that mechanical linkage. if i dont push the pedal, the butterfly valve doesnt move, and nothing happens...

people were scared of electronic engine control too when it first came out. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer a cable linkage myself just for the simplicity of it, but the ETC (electronic throttle control) systems are monitored extensively for any faults. the pedal and TPS sensors are both have redundancy, if both pedal or both TPS sensors don't agree it goes into "Limited Power Mode" and only gives enough throttle to get off the road - more or less a high idle, usually ~1500-2000rpm. if the TPS or engine RPM raises without corresponding pedal input it goes into "Forced Engine Shutdown" which is what it sounds like. Most ETC systems reset and set a code with a simple key cycle as long as the fault is no longer present.

There are alot of reasons the OEMs are starting to use ETC more now. Some of it goes to fuel economy and tightening CAFE standards. Some of it goes to packaging and "simplicity" - they got rid of the Cruise Control Module and Idle Air Control Valve, but got to put Traction Control and Stability Programs in place much easier with an ECU controlled throttle plate.