PDA

View Full Version : Olight T20-M or Fenix P3D CP

cooldry
09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, I want to get a flashlight and narrowed it down to these 2. They are both comparable, but wondering what your thoughts are. I read the show your flashlight thread and I noticed everyone seems to have the Fenix. Anyone have any experiences with the Olights?

Thanks for any input. :thumbup:

4x4mike
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I really like my Fenix lights. The Olight looks like the ones one the Fenix site. Check out fenixstore.com and 4sevens.com. The 2 lights you mentions look to be similar with the exception of the tactical ring on the Olight. If I needed it I would get one. Instead I have a Surefire G2 with a tactical ring in my gun safe, ready to go, just in case.

paddlenbike
09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I have no experience with olights but love my Fenix P3D. It really takes people by surprise when they see how bright it is, then they're even more surprised by the P3D's small size.

4x4mike
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I just noticed the Olight has a belt clip, better holster and what sounds like a tail cap lock out. So for the price it's a little more pimp than my p3d. Mine is the first generation so it's not a Q5 and I think turbo mode is only 160 lumens. It's been around the world (took it to NZ) and I knock it around a bit and it's still going. The anodizing on all these lights aren't as tough as Surefire or HA-II but it is nice. My LOD-ce is quite beat up but it sees EDC pocket duty next to keys.

cooldry
09-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll be going with the Fenix. Only reason is that it's $20 cheaper. If they were the same price, I'd probably get the Olights. Read through the reviews and searched all day and it seems they are almost the same. Olight has just a couple of added features but not worth the $20 imo.

Robinhood4x4
09-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Every single fenix light I have has had flickering problems at least once. This includes my L1P, L2T, L2T V2 at work, and my P3D. All only did it once or twice and I haven't had any problems with any of them lately. I'm hesitant to use them for defense purposes however for everyday use they're great.

CJM
09-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I would much rather something that doesnt take the annoying and $$$ 123 batts, I have the fenix L1D-CE/L2D-CE which takes AA's and is every bit as good as the P2D CE

I have the L2D-CE and its bright, lightweight, and is super tough.

4x4mike
09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Every single fenix light I have has had flickering problems at least once. This includes my L1P, L2T, L2T V2 at work, and my P3D. All only did it once or twice and I haven't had any problems with any of them lately. I'm hesitant to use them for defense purposes however for everyday use they're great.

What kind of batteries were you using when you had the flickering problem. I have heard that re chargeables and cheap batteries will make the light flicker. I bought a 50 of 50 batteries on ebay a long time ago and am only half way through it. The price has gone up now but I think I paid 40 bucks or so from hong kong, so I have never worried about the 123's. Hell they last forever (probably close to a year with moderate useage) but I change them out if they've been in there for a long time.

paddlenbike
09-17-2008, 07:52 AM
I wish more devices used CR123s. They have a 10+ year shelf life and higher amp-hour ratings than AAs. The downside is they are usually expensive, but I buy them in lots of 25 on ebay for less than you would pay for a AA at retail prices.

4x4mike
09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I wish more devices used CR123s. They have a 10+ year shelf life and higher amp-hour ratings than AAs. The downside is they are usually expensive, but I buy them in lots of 25 on ebay for less than you would pay for a AA at retail prices.

One bummer is that they are not readily available like AA's are. Out of my big box I have stashed a bunch. Glove boxes of both cars, everyday bag, BOB, and a few here and there if I head out. The nice thing about the LED's is that the batteries last so long the chances of them dying after little use is not likely.

cooldry
09-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I get my batteries from amondotech.com. (seems they were bought out by batteryjunction.com)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-cr123a-50qty.html

it's almost $1 for each.

the titanium brand got pretty good reviews as well.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/titanium_123a.htm

CJM
09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Yea thats the problem with the 123s, not available everywhere and expensive. AA's are available everywhere, are claimed to last just as long and are much cheaper. The 123s claim to have more power, but I find it funny my fenix AA and the 123 are almost exactly the same.

Just a matter of preference really.