PDA

View Full Version : Should I Add More $$$ to My 2WD

mysticzt4r
09-21-2008, 07:48 AM
I have come to a confusing :confused: decision with my 4Runners future mod plans. Some people say fix it up and so say wait to spend the $$$ on a new 4WD 4Runner.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on this. Since there are both 2WD and 4WD 4Runner owners I think this is best place to ask.

Thank you.

4runnerchevy
09-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Keep your runner, and buy another vehicle to mod. I have always been grateful, that I have a DD and an offroad rig.

corax
09-21-2008, 07:58 AM
What's wrong with the 4runner you have now?

I'd say start looking for a 4wd and spend you money on that. It is definately a buyers market for SUV's and trucks, you should be able to find a great deal if you know what you want and look around

YotaFun
09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
What's wrong with the 4runner you have now?

I'd say start looking for a 4wd and spend you money on that. It is definately a buyers market for SUV's and trucks, you should be able to find a great deal if you know what you want and look around

x2 Keep the Runner you have now, and find another 4wd one To have fun with.

drguitarum2005
09-21-2008, 10:56 AM
everyone keeps saying buy a second vehicle which is all fine and dandy but if youre like me (i dont know your situation), having a second vehicle was not an option. getting rid of my 2000 2wd 4runner and getting my 2000 4wd TRD taco was one of the best choices i've made as far as wheelin and whatnot goes. sure i miss a couple luxury things on my 4runner but the advantage of 4wd alone outweighs not having a moonroof and 4 doors.

neliconcept
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
take it from someone who as an idiot dumping money into a 2wd, it will make you want to even further with your truck and then you end up converting to 4wd.

my truck is the way i want it, but its costly, you could go that route or just trade up and then get a nice DD car

Henrythewound
09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
If you really need 4WD to enjoy yourself sell and buy a Tacoma or an older 4Runner. Most of the places I end up going are probably 2WD accessible although I like having the security of 4WD if I need it.

4runnerchevy
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM
everyone keeps saying buy a second vehicle which is all fine and dandy but if youre like me (i dont know your situation), having a second vehicle was not an option. getting rid of my 2000 2wd 4runner and getting my 2000 4wd TRD taco was one of the best choices i've made as far as wheelin and whatnot goes. sure i miss a couple luxury things on my 4runner but the advantage of 4wd alone outweighs not having a moonroof and 4 doors.

You can pick up a solid axle rig for 2k and under. You can get a 2,3,4 gen runner for a little more and do a lot less. You even get to put one up in the air :gay: :flipoff:

drguitarum2005
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM

You can pick up a solid axle rig for 2k and under. You can get a 2,3,4 gen runner for a little more and do a lot less. You even get to put one up in the air :gay: :flipoff:

true. like you and others have said...if you can get a second vehicle then great. i might have gone that route if i had the option but being in college and constantly moving between houston, atlanta, and cincinnati, having two vehicles, paying to park two vehicles, and paying (possibly) to insure two vehicles just wasn't feasible for me. if the option is to only have ONE vehicle then i vote for sell the 2wd and get a 4wd

Good Times
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
A lot of what you ask really depends on what you ultimately want to do with your 4runner. If it's the fast prerunner stuff then I don't see the real need for a 4wd system. If you to utilize your 4runner to explore areas that require a 4wd then by all means a 4wd would be required.

If you want to do the 4wd stuff then I would say get a second truck if the funds permit as well as the location to store it. Keep in mind that having another vehicle means extra for insurance as well as getting the approval from the "financial manager" :)

If you decide to go with a 4wd vehicle, you'll have to further explain what you want to do cuz that'll make a enormous difference on which vehicle to purchase. If I can do it all over again, I would recommend a FZJ80 (96-97) with factory front/rear lockers :)

Hope this helps for starters.

Cheese
09-21-2008, 09:53 PM
If you are a one rig home, sell it and get a 4wd. Modifying it by adding 4wd will wed you to the truck, making a build pretend explorer 2wd will leave stuff you can't spin off when you realize you want 4wd.

If you think you want a pure trail truck, sell it. There is no reason to have a road only, 2wd, heavy rig that doesn't do that great on fuel.

I have a rock crawler, a mountain bike and a pick up. My mountain bike gets really good mileage, my pickup truck hauls and carries well and my rock crawler does neither of those. As a result, it sits a lot.

At this time of gas prices, etc. I cannot see the point of having anything modified to do better off road when you are driving it as primary transportation, especially if that driving is of any appreciable distance.

So, sell it before you make it useless.

04 Rocko Taco
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
true. like you and others have said...if you can get a second vehicle then great. i might have gone that route if i had the option but being in college and constantly moving between houston, atlanta, and cincinnati, having two vehicles, paying to park two vehicles, and paying (possibly) to insure two vehicles just wasn't feasible for me. if the option is to only have ONE vehicle then i vote for sell the 2wd and get a 4wd

Hey David, you can just park it at my house. :) I'll even wheel it for you while your gone, so it doesnt get lonely. :)

mysticzt4r
09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
First of all thank you to all for you suggestions and opinions, I have thought about it and have made some choices.

I know the majority suggest I sell and buy a 4wd, I will do that hopefully soon but I will be adding some $$$ to my 2wd also.

Update: :chair: Found out trade in and resale value is 10,500 for dealer trade and 12,000 for private sale. So the changes I decided to do might not be a good choice. And buy a 3rd gen to build up the best choice.

Thank you again all. :thumbup:

mysticzt4r
09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Cool I wouldn't mind checking out those people and places. Since I am going to do my diff gearing and install a rear locker.

PM me and we can set something up.

Thanks again :)

*Other-Explain* Now, hopefully this all makes sense..(It does to me. ;) )

You live out here by me, correct? I don't think this has been suggested here for you or not, or if you have even gone this route already, read on...

Have you thought at all about a rear locker? How about going with me to San Jose and having me introduce you to Jeff, the owner of Toy Connection?I'm off Sunday and Monday's starting in October, and Monday-Tuesday for the next few weeks. He has a good local shop.There's also the option to go out to BentUp, Inchworm, or Dave'z in a few weeks, all of which are a huge knowledge base to pose questions to and get some direction, and more importantly, have recycler yards closeby that I have been on great terms with forever, where parts can be sourced from.

They (all the places listed) get awfully backlogged with daily stuff, but would have the parts should you wish.

That being said, if I were to only wheel, yes, buy a 4wd and fix that up. Me, I don't get to wheel as much as I'd like, so, a locker works well, for all of the basics. When that doesn't, hopefully I have my front ARB w/ the winch bolted up. ;)

I've built up both hardcore rigs (the '83 most of the So-Cal guys might remember) and pre-runners, anything from Ford, Chevy, Dodge, to Toyotas.

You'd be surprised how much a decently built and equipped pre-runner can handle, something you should consider, and if so, list the pros and cons you have for us. :thumbup:

After all, you want to have your own "UltimateYota"*! :D
*Little bit of the corporate enthusiast marketing guy thought there for you Lance. :D :drink: :bowdown:

Trevor
09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
i had a 99 limited 4runner 2wd , i really wanted to to alot to it so i looked around for a good deal (took me a good 7 months) then i found my 4wd 99, in my opinion if you want to build it up like a 4wd then go get one, that way you dont waist your money and time if later you get a 4wd after you trick out your 2wd

mysticzt4r
09-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the sales leads, I actually seen several on that list that might follow up on.

Thanks again NorCal

brys4runnin
09-27-2008, 04:17 PM
i got a 4x4 first gen ill sell ya cheap $2000

mysticzt4r
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
I am at a total lost now, I found out the dealer trade will be only $10,500. Guess with our economy price values on 6 cylin. vehicles took a drop.

I guess it would be better to find a 3rd gen 4wd to build up.

But on the other hand when I do go offroading it's mainly pre-runner style roads, maybe it might be worth adding atleast a suspension and locker on my 2wd? :confused: