PDA

View Full Version : Which knife to get

cooldry
09-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I've always used the Spiderco knives, but since I lost my last one, I want a replacement. Can anyone give any recommendations on other companies that make good outdoor knives. Also, I'd like to keep it in my pocket so legally I think the blade can't be longer than 3" (Cali). Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess this would be a good place to show off your knives too.

Thanks
David

Good Times
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I :love: my benchmade.

Not sure what the law states for Kalifornia on knives but I carry my "longer than 3inch blade" with me. doh!

Seanz0rz
09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
kershaw is by far my favorite so far, but i love my gerber. i find that i use it ALOT, and sharpen accordingly. similar to this: http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=505

its very lightweight, i can get the blade out super quick (self defense). i carry it every day, use it for everything from cutting open boxes to cutting rope to preparing food on the trail. been a great knife, and if you look around you can find it for much cheaper.

Cheese
09-25-2008, 09:00 AM
I have a Benchmade Deja Voo that fits my paws well. They have a mini for normal people.

Good knife, good locking blade, good steel for the money.

4x4mike
09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I have 6 or 7 Spyderco's that I like a lot. I used to carry Benchmades because I could get them at cost. They were nice but I never loved them although the Styker came close. If you do a little reading you'll find that there are a lot of gray areas in the whole carry issue. I carry a Military some days, it's longer than 3" but there is no law (at least in my county) that says it's illegal. Where and how you carry it is important too. It has to be closed and at the waist or in a pocket. It also has to have a cam like feature to keep the blade in the closed position. I have read that guys crank down the pivot on larger knives (ones that can be flung open easy or that have heavy blades) so it can't be flung open. EDC for me right now is a black PE Para Military and in my bag is a Rescue. It's perfect size and carried IWB it's not noticable and legal.

In Colorado, where Spydercos come from, you can't legally carry a Military unless you're hunting. In looking at laws a couple of years ago there was a story of a guy that was dressed up for a Renaissance fair. He had a small boot knife and was busted for an open contained outside of the event. They found the knife and smacked him with that violation. Any fixed blades must be worn at the waist and not concealed (no size limit).

Cliff notes: Buy what you want and don't let the size limit you. Just stay out of trouble and don't create reasons for LE to bust you for a having a knife too big. Do you see your self getting in trouble after using a 4" knife to cut a seatbelt to get someone out of a burning car?

RunnerUp
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Do you see your self getting in trouble after using a 4" knife to cut a seatbelt to get someone out of a burning car?

these days.... yeah i actually do, isnt that sad?

corax
09-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I like my Ed Haligan KISS knife (Keep It Super Simple). It's a single side blade design (handle fits snug against the sharp edge), looks inconspicuous as a money clip and is always in my waistband. I've had mine for longer than I can remember and use it for everything, they also have a partial serrated blade

http://www.lfchosting.com/digitalcanoe/knife/pictures/crkt/images/cr5500c.gif
Manufacturer: CRKT
Name: crkt k.i.s.s. tanto C series
Model: CR-5500C
Blade edge: plain edge
Blade Length: 2.25"
Closed Length: 3.5"
Overall Length: 5.75"
Steel: 420 J2 54-56 HRC
Finish: bead blast
Weight: 2.3 oz
Clip: stainless pocket
Retail: $46.70

4x4mike
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I like my Ed Haligan KISS knife (Keep It Super Simple). It's a single side blade design (handle fits snug against the sharp edge), looks inconspicuous as a money clip and is always in my waistband. I've had mine for longer than I can remember and use it for everything, they also have a partial serrated blade

I have the partially serrated blade. It's nice and small. I've had it for years and am positive I didn't pay $46.70 for it. Maybe 20 bucks or so.

surf4runner
09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
ive had this (the same) knife for over 15 years, only lost it twice :laugh:
http://www.moteng.com/ProductImages/SW2000.jpg

holds a good edge, can flip open w/1 hand.
says 3.71" blade. any cop who has wanted to hassle me for it, has always returned it.
before 9-11, i would occassionally make it through a metal detector.

good price for it...
http://www.southerntackle.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SW2000

drguitarum2005
09-25-2008, 02:22 PM
i have a Smith & Wesson HRT Fighter and have had it for the past 3 years. excellent knife in my opinion

cooldry
09-25-2008, 02:52 PM

with the blade exposed like that, can't you accidently cut yourself. It looks unsafe.

corax
09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
with the blade exposed like that, can't you accidently cut yourself. It looks unsafe.

no, the blade is completely flat on the side that is near the handle. so when closed the sharp edge of the blade is flush with the side of the handle, no way for anything to touch the sharp bits. like this (backslash and underscore is the blade, lowercase "l" is the handle)

__l
\ l
\l
l

RobG
09-25-2008, 03:33 PM
My daily carry is a SOG Twitch XL, had it for 2+ years and really like it for daily use. It's slim, relatively cheap, has a pocket clip, and opens with one hand very quickly.The pocket clip is great for quick access. http://sogknives.com/store/TWI-20.html

The only size restriction that I am aware of is on school property (K-12) where it drops to somewhere around 2". Before 9-11 the FAA carry restriction was 4".

4runnerchevy
09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I use a leatherman, and in my profession, its the most valuable tool I own.

Robinhood4x4
09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Benchmade with axis lock. This is the only type of locking mechanism I will carry now because it is so smooth.