PDA

View Full Version : Keeping batteries in fridge

cooldry
09-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I've always kept my batteries in the fridge. Long ago (so long I can't even remember when) someone told me batteries last longer if kept in the fridge. So I've always done so. But now I'm wondering if it's actually true. :headscratch: Does anyone know if it's worth it or if it's like filling your tires with nitrogen.

4x4mike
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I've never done it but I've seen plenty of fridges with batteries in them. I think the whole idea is to slow the natural discharge of the batteries. Alkalines don't discharge as quickly as rechargeable ni-cads or lithium ions. As such I don't think it will help regualr alkalines much, YMMV.

cooldry
09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I was trying to figure out the logic, but couldn't get to a conclusion. I know if you use batteries in low temps they lose their charge MUCH faster. So wouldn't that be the same for storage? :headscratch:

oly884
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I was trying to figure out the logic, but couldn't get to a conclusion. I know if you use batteries in low temps they lose their charge MUCH faster. So wouldn't that be the same for storage? :headscratch:

Batteries use a chemical reaction to produce their power. At low temperatures, that chemical reaction is slower, hence the reason why you don't get the performance out of a battery when it's cold.

They also loose their charge over time (it's around a couple years minimum), and putting them in a refrigerator slows that down. However, the extent it slows it down is pretty insignificant as you would tend to use the batteries within a few years at the longest.