PDA

View Full Version : Ford's Top-Secret F-150 "Raptor"

mastacox
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Holy moley, this thing looks like it will be pretty bad-ass. Being able to buy a long-travel truck from the dealer has quite a set of advantages IMO...

Ford F-150 Raptor- Spied (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/performance_trucks_suvs/ford_f_150_raptor_spied)

Highlights-

Ford’s extreme pickup, the F-150 Raptor, is becoming more real by the minute, presumably with the long-awaited Boss V-8 engine under the hood.

The anticipated Boss engine was quoted as being rated at 380-horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. However, everything Car and Driver has learned to date has us expecting a 400-plus hp 6.2-liter V-8 from the new modular Boss family.

Dealers in Vegas were also treated to a look at one of the Raptor's long-travel shocks, sourced from Fox Racing and specially built for the Raptor program. We are told it looks similar to Fox's 2.0 Piggy Back reservoir shocks with 12 inches of travel

And the photographers got close enough to read the tires: Toyo Open Country All Terrain Light Truck LT 325/70R-17s, which convert to 35 X 12.50-inch tires on 17-inch wheels

Ford execs are fired up about the new truck as well, telling dealers the Raptor is “the first and only Baja 1000 Trophy Truck you'll be able to buy from a dealer," and promising to "drive this (and other vehicles shown to Ford dealers) right up Toyota's a**."

Dude, sweet :clap: :thumbup:

mYnAmEiSmUdD
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Its about damn time they made a bigger mod than that 330 ci...

Ford has been using superchargers too much if you ask me. But then again i am a fan of all motor setups.

Should prove to be bad ass. Pretty insane to come factory like that. This means no more void oem warrentees?

I like my push rods tho... =D

arjan
10-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Great timing to spend money on designing something like that in the current economic situation.
No wonder the 'big 3' are loosing money left right and center.

slosurfer
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
That looks nothing like a long travel ford. It says long travel shocks, but it didn't say they were front shocks/coilovers. I don't think you will ever see a dealer long travel anything. How would they warranty it?

mastacox
10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
That looks nothing like a long travel ford. It says long travel shocks, but it didn't say they were front shocks/coilovers. I don't think you will ever see a dealer long travel anything. How would they warranty it?

Everything is pretty much rumor at this point, but supposedly the track width of the Raptor will be wider than a stock F-150 (how much we don't know); that tells me it will have extended A-arms. Warranty will be an interesting issue, but I suspect they will have lots of clauses covering "misuse," and stuff specifically dealing with racing. I doubt it will have an internal cage or 5-point harnesses (but it might, dunno), so it won't be exactly ready-to-race, but it will be a pumped up truck with a suspension meant for Baja rather than rockcrawling.

Great timing to spend money on designing something like that in the current economic situation.

You would prefer they spent no money, kept the same models they have always had, and go out of business? Car companies' bread and butter is developing new models, regardless of economic situations.

slosurfer
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
It will be interesting to see what it will be exactly. I'm betting it ends up being more of a mid-travel setup, which will be pretty cool, especailly if they do a good job on the rear as well.

slosurfer
10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
This is similar to the shock they are talking about
http://www.offroad-engineering.com/fox20pr12trn2.html

arjan
10-02-2008, 09:07 PM

You would prefer they spent no money, kept the same models they have always had, and go out of business? Car companies' bread and butter is developing new models, regardless of economic situations.

It seems to me that the money will be better spend on designing cars for the masses, not some luxurious niche. They generally don't sell that many of those.
If you look at the civics and jettas, cars like that a car maker can sell tons of. Models like that are also less sensitive to economic changes.

Seanz0rz
10-02-2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/ford/raptor/caught.html

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/ford/raptor/new-raptor-pics-confirm-details.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/lightning-strikes-again-ford-f-150-raptor-may-be-branded-svt/

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/29/report-ford-working-on-f-150-raptor/

the spy pictures have been floating around for a while now. looks pretty cool, i just dont think i want anything from FoMoCo.

UKMyers
10-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh ya that outta sell great during a time when Toyota for the first time ever is offering incentives. If Tundras aren't selling there's no way people are going to buy that thing. My local dealership has had one of those dodge trucks with the viper motor in it on their lot for over a year now. The salesman said they've put 600 miles on it test driving it but no one will buy it for 28K. It's pretty sad we've hit a point when people have to buy a Prius rather than a Tundra.

mastacox
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Bumping up this thread :ban:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/garage/FordRaptor2.jpg
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=135146#9

The 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor has become a definite reality. It has a long travel suspension that is overall 7 inches wider than stock with 11 inches of travel up front, and 13 inches of travel in the rear. It will come standard with the 5.4l V-8 at 320 hp, or optional with an all-new 6.2l V-8 good for 400 hp. It also comes stock with 35x12.50r17's.

I definitely applaud Ford for coming out with a re-think of a performance off-road package, this thing looks very cool for a vehicle coming out of a Big-3 factory. I'll be keeping an eye out for them at the Ford dealers :drool:

slosurfer
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Looks cool!

I wonder if their fit and finish has gotten any better. They don't hold up with regular use, so I can imagine how it will do with real offroad use.

YotaFun
03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I wonder if their fit and finish has gotten any better. They don't hold up with regular use, so I can imagine how it will do with real offroad use.

I don't know, I think Ford has come back.
I was looking at the F-150s at the auto show, and I must admit, out of all pick-ups in the category from every company that has one, Ford was my favorite, adn i would buy it if I had to choose....

paddlenbike
03-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Regardless of whether they build it or not, they definately learned a thing or two about offroad suspension design. Hopefully next time they offer an offroad package they'll think about what they learned here and apply portions of it to production vehicles.

CJM
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Fords quality was better ten years ago or more, before the switched to the pos triton.

Honestly I like it, but I would much prefer the same setup to a 89-97 era body style. Just looks better overall. Less plastic crap....

Also while on the topic of modified trucks from the factory-a damn shame dodge made a new power wagon and dodge is crap. Really cool truck but prone to failure from day one. However gotta hand dodge the credit where it is due-they have several special edition trucks and cars unlike the rest do.

Toyota, they need to go back to making 3 truck lines imho: mini, medium (t100/old tundra) and the big ass tundra. This way they DOMINATE all aspects of the market. They also need to kill stuff like scion and make it toyota (they sell VERY poorly afaik, never seen any on road really), kill the vibe cause GM doesnt deserve it, work on a diesel in all trucks and a few cars and thats it. They do that-they win period.

mastacox
03-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Regardless of whether they build it or not

It's being built as a production 2010 model, and will be available this summer :D