PDA

View Full Version : Project Surf-n-Turf: Google Maps photo of event

Obi..
10-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Throwing this idea** out to the masses, as the next step (besides making this happen) would to have it possible for the 4Runner Jamboree...

Think about it, it's the largest gathering of a single group of vehicles at one time, why not get it from space, right? :D

Please, if you support this idea, reply in this UltimateYota topic to keep it up in our forums, and also please reply in the main post:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/246152-hopefully-good-idea-surf-n-turf-paging-bigjim-google-heads.html

**There's a bigger reason for this also, but I can't release much more right now, but please help, it's a good cause/idea. :D

Thanks!!

Whitey
10-18-2008, 05:04 AM
It would be a lot more feasible if the satellite pics were actually live. You should find out when the images are taken first. My street has snow on it according to google earth.

corax
10-18-2008, 06:45 AM
sounds like a good idea . . . do we have to consent to not put anything obscene on the roof?

4runnerchevy
10-18-2008, 07:36 AM
I think there are two topics that need to be mrged. Like I said in the other, Its old footage.

My runner was still red in this pic.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/4runnerchevy/MyDriveway.jpg

and the date is 2003

slosurfer
10-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Google shot of Surf N Turf, good idea. :thumbup:

Two threads about it, bad idea. :laugh:

Also, it won't work too well if we get the fog we had last year which is pretty common here. :(

Whitey
10-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Can we get rid of one of these threads...

Good Times
10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Thread merged

Whitey
10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Think about it, it's the largest gathering of a single group of vehicles at one time,

Where did this info come from?

slosurfer
10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
SNT did get a heli pilot one year and they took pics with all the rigs making up a TLCA. That was back before it was 300 strong.

They tried to just line them all up nose to tail on the beach two years ago and it took for f'n ever. I couldn't imagine trying to actually spell something. :shake:

It would be cool just to see an overhead shot of the camp, perhaps first thing in the morning or right before dusk.

corax
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
how 'bout an RC helicopter with a digi cam strapped to the underside? :hillbill:

slosurfer
10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I saw the "It's been done bit" in the possible tone of that reply, but that kind of ish gets seriously high-school crap. (I remember having to line up all "1991"... :gay: .)

Umm.... you seem to be the one bringing the high-school crap (or ish as you call it). :roll:

I was just pointing out that getting 300 vehicles to do anything was going to be a PITA, and that's from a planning aspect and from a participant standpoint. No "it's been done bit" like you thought. I even stated that a shot of the camp from space or from a heli would be cool. :shake:

slosurfer
10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
No worries, that's the bad thing about the intardnet, it's easy to see "tone" when it wasn't meant to be there.

I'm not sure if they still paraglide there much. I see them on other parts of the coast, not sure about there though.

corax
10-20-2008, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure if they still paraglide there much. I see them on other parts of the coast, not sure about there though.

Here's one paraglide pilot (P3, but my wing was destroyed 3 years ago) that could try for next year if I happen to make it. Great thing about the beach, even if a good launch isn't possible, we could always try a "static line" tow (tow line from a back bumper and a gentle pull, like lifting a kite) to get someone aloft

DHC6twinotter
10-20-2008, 12:09 PM
how 'bout an RC helicopter with a digi cam strapped to the underside? :hillbill:

I once met a guy at an airshow who did arial photography with RC planes. The dude made a living with it and even worked with his local police. He had some of his planes on display and did some demonstrations for us. Pretty cool stuff. :hillbill:

Tofer
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
talk to UKMyers... he has an ultralight and was talking about how fun it would be to fly at pismo. i think he said that he's gotten it up to 6000 feet. i'm not offering his services, i just know what i heard.

Tofer
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
i sent him am PM on my forum (www.pacific-crawlers.com [/shameless plug]) with a link to this thread.

Tofer
10-22-2008, 07:08 PM
unemployed = lots of time to work on in but also = no money!