PDA

View Full Version : How to research judges and other local candidates?

Robinhood4x4
10-24-2008, 07:00 AM
I can't find any info on the small fish like attorney generals, judges, etc. Is there a way to find out how judges have ruled in cases?

AxleIke
10-24-2008, 09:42 AM
It is a matter of public record, so you can get it from your city records office if you can't get it online.

As a side note, and certainly no offense to you or anyone, but judicial retention is one of the most disgusting things on ballots these days.

It completely corrupts the system as envisioned by the constitution. Judges are supposed to be interpreting the law based on the law alone, and not be swayed by current political thinking, policy, or public pressure. Because they come up for a vote, and voters, like yourself, are concerning themselves with how the judges rule, judges rule to stay in the job, rather than throw themselves under the bus by making an unpopular, but legally legitimate, ruling.

By and large, the public is completely ignorant of much of the law, and forms opinions based on anything but current law. If people even knew the US constitution, let alone their state constitution, or even state statutes, I'd feel better. Most can name 2 or 3 amendments, and recognize (sometimes) that there are a few actual articles in front of those. Hell, it took me 3 months to be able to hit the main ideas from each article and the amendments, and I still get stumped from time to time.

The ONLY time a judge should not be retained is for ethical violations, or inability to perform their function (decomposing on the bench for example). There ALREADY exists a way for this to happen: Impeachment.

If you want laws changed, your recourse is the legislature. Politics needs to be swept back out of the judiciary.

Sorry for the rant, but judicial retention pisses me off.

fustercluck
10-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Easy, vote the bums out. The longer they stay in office, the greater the likelihood of becoming corrupted.