PDA

View Full Version : What electrode for welding on the axle housing?

slosurfer
10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
I need to do a couple tiny welds on my axle housing for the elocker install. What electrode is suggested for welding on the axle housing? I know, everyone's answer is "use a MIG", but I don't have access to one today, but will have access to a stick/TIG welder. I spent a whole semester doing stick welding, so I feel more comfortable with that anyways.

Would 7018 work? I seem to remember liking that one in welding class.

4runnerchevy
10-26-2008, 08:36 AM
The housing is steel, so if your doing stick, 7018 would be the best. :thumbup: If you fire up the tig then mild steel or stainless filler is fine.

slosurfer
10-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Sweet, thanks! :laugh: Haha, yeah, I won't be firing up the tig. I only tried it once in class without good results. I do want to learn it though.

4runnerchevy
10-26-2008, 08:46 AM
7018 is just about the strongest your gonna get for your application. It beats out the mild steel mig wire for strength.

slosurfer
10-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Kevin, thanks for helping me figure out what to use.

Thanks to Milton (Cabbage), he set it up where I was able to use his friend Steve's welder at his parents house. They were super nice and his dad even helped me with some tips and tricks. I got it welded up, so now I just get to drill and tap those two holes.

I really want to get my own welder now. :D

4x4mike
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I got a cheapy mig welder at the beginning of the month and I use it a couple of times a week practicing and fixing things. It's a lot of fun and rewarding when you can make or fix something.

4runnerchevy
10-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Kevin, thanks for helping me figure out what to use.

Thanks to Milton (Cabbage), he set it up where I was able to use his friend Steve's welder at his parents house. They were super nice and his dad even helped me with some tips and tricks. I got it welded up, so now I just get to drill and tap those two holes.

I really want to get my own welder now. :D

No problem, welding is a big part of my job. If your gonna get heavy into wheeling, a welder is probably one of the first tools on the list. We all don't have the luxery of a support crew.

4x4mike
10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
I think a welder is the beginning of the end. Once you get it you'll have to get grinders, chop saws, drill press, air compressor, etc. Assuming you didn't already have that stuff. I think I have more money into wire and welding "tools" than the welder.