PDA

View Full Version : Torture tested my Ipod Touch today

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
The Perfect Storm.

So I walk out to the 4runner this morning to go to work and I realize I forgot to get my morning banana (1st storm). With my hands full, I put my ipod on the hood (you can see where this is going), because that's where I put things when I don't want to forget them. The truck is white, the Ipod black, so it's easy to see.

I go get my banana, get in the truck and take off. Normally before I leave, I plug in the ipod and listen to the Amateur Traveler podcast, but this morning I wanted to listen to NPR because of the elections (2nd storm).

About 15 minutes later, I start to think that I didn't remember putting the ipod in the center console. I look around, then look straight out over the hood. The dash is blocking the area of the hood where I put the Ipod so I had to sit up higher to see that it was not there (3rd storm).

Crap.

I turn around and head back home, resigning myself to the fact that it's gone. Once I get back into my development, I keep an eye on the road to see if it's there somewhere. Nothing. After looking around the house in the futile hope that I had left it somewhere there, I head back to work, but keep my eye on the road. I get out to the main road, a busy 4 lane road and get up to speed.

About 300-400 yards later, I see it! It's sitting on the yellow stripe in the median, face down! I couldn't believe it. I turned around, found a place to park and ran after it. Expecting to see a cracked screen, it looked pristine. I hit the ON button and wouldn't you know it, it started right up! It's perfect and not a single scratch on it!

Those silicone skins really work. By the time it fell off, I was doing at least 45 mph and it's a good 4-5 foot drop from the hood. Who knows how many times it bounced and how far it tumbled. The skin I'm using is the Speck Pixel Skin. http://www.speckproducts.com/products/pixelskin/ipod-touch-2nd-gen/153

Seanz0rz
11-05-2008, 08:06 PM
pretty good product endorsement if you ask me!

glad its ok.

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I just emailed Speck with my abbreviated story. :D

4x4mike
11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
My silicone ipod busted the screen when I dropped it while riding my bike. Good to hear you hada good experience.

drguitarum2005
11-06-2008, 06:56 AM
thats a crazy story and you got so lucky! i agree with those silicone cases though...unless its a super cheap thin one, theyre pretty good at at least dent/scratch protection. i think regardless of how much silicone there is, the screen can still get a good shock and break like Mike's did. I have a silicone case but i always slip my ipod in my jeans pocket and that silicone does not slide very well into tighter pockets. i got the leather EZ-View case...its more bulky but it has slots for some cards (like my school ID) and has a stand for watching videos etc. I think mine would fare well if i dropped it. it's great for the gym!

paddlenbike
11-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Wow, you got lucky. Had it been me there would have been a steamroller convention that day...

My new Nano seems really durable--it is so light that it does not hit the ground hard.

drguitarum2005
11-06-2008, 08:05 AM
i think ill invent an ipod made completely of components that are lighter than air so it actually floats...i drop it and it goes up

cooldry
11-06-2008, 01:42 PM
i think ill invent an ipod made completely of components that are lighter than air so it actually floats...i drop it and it goes up

I think that's already planned for the next gen. :D

Robinhood4x4
11-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I know it was all luck. It must have landed just right.

Robinhood4x4
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
In the ongoing saga of my torture test for this device, it has once again passed a test. This time, I was testing it's natural healing abilities.

While attempting to surf the internet with my ipod, I inadvertently dropped it onto tile from approximately the height of a toilet. Note, that it still has the silicone armor and screen protector. I didn't think anything of it and continued to surf the internet. However, when I tried to turn it off with the power button in the upper left corner, it wouldn't shut off. Apparently, it had survived a drop from 45 mph onto a road, but didn't survive a 2 foot drop onto tile. I was bummed.

Flash forward a few weeks to last night when I was in bed, surfing the internet. Out of habit, I hit the button and it shut off! Hallelujah! It healed itself! I just had to give it some time for the little nanobots to go to work. (I picture little round apples with mouths that open and close migrating around within the maze of circuits looking for injuries to heal) :D

BruceTS
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Now this is the way you do a proper test...

Will It Blend? - iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko#ws)

DHC6twinotter
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
While attempting to surf the internet with my ipod, I inadvertently dropped it onto tile from approximately the height of a toilet.

:lol: I dunno why, but that just tickled me. The way you worded that is hilarious!

Robinhood4x4
06-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. ;)

Crinale
06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Now this is the way you do a proper test...

Will It Blend? - iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko#ws)

will it blend? that is the question! :-P

Okie81
06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Will it Puree? :chair:

DHC6twinotter
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. ;)

:laugh: It's been going around, I think.