PDA

View Full Version : Surf N Turf 2008

slosurfer
11-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Surf N Turf 2008 (http://www.realcruiser.com/surfnturf/index.php) was amazing like always. Thanks Jim for putting on such a great event!!!!!!

It was a huge turnout, the rigs were awesome, the people great, the weather awesome and miserable on the same day. Thanks to Metaltech for the beer and pint glasses and the pork bbq was yummy. :)

Jack and I arrived Friday night around 7:30 and were lucky enough to grab one of the last spots around the main camp. Had a fun time meeting people, hanging around the fire, and reconnecting with friends. Saturday we did the poker run which is one of my favorite things ever. Later a friend of mine showed up and we did another long run all around the back dunes and I took him through the poker run route since he got there after it was done.

It was a nice chill time and was sad that it was over. Can't wait for next year. :D

Unfortunately my camera was broke, I'll have to see if I got any decent pics from it.

Here's a link to pics over on ih8mud: Pics start on this page of their thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-events-expeditions/201689-surf-n-turf-08-a-24.html)

Oh yeah, I was mobbing the van and it did awesome!!!!!! :flipoff: I let my friend Brian drive it some, which was cool because I was able to watch how it looked bombing around the dunes. I saw tons of people takeing pics of it while we were out driving, so hopefully I'll be able to find some good action shots to post.

slosurfer
11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Haha, okay I've got all of two pics. :laugh: Between a busted camera screen, being a single dad for the weekend, and having too much fun, I didn't get any pics. :(

Both of these are about 10 minutes before the shotgun start for the poker run. They figure that close to 200 vehicles participated in the run. You can't tell in my pics, but there are 2 other rows of vehicles back there.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/IMG_8001.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/IMG_8002.jpg

stormtaco
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
this was a great event nice to see you again, no pics i still have a film camera, so many cool trucks to :clap: oh and i am going to try and machine out a knob for you in the next couple of days.

slosurfer
11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
James it was great to see you again and meet your wife. I was bummed that we weren't able to go over and hang at your camp on Sat. night. With the kids, we were pretty much tied to our camp and then once they were asleep we were able to hang out at the main fire.

How cool was that shotgun start??!!! I was not too far behind you guys but then lost you after the first check point (I took a different route to CP2 than most). How many CP's did you end up going to? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sweet, I can't wait to have a cool shiftknob!!! I can put the Marlin Crawler knob back onto the 4wd shifter. Are you sure I can't give you anything for it?

stormtaco
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
i went to 6 check points i was prob. in the first 25 to finish, then i went back to one and came back slow down the beach, next year i want to be in the top ten, who wants to race hahahahahah? na nothing is needed for it.

slosurfer
11-10-2008, 05:48 PM
:thumbup: Next year I'll race ya if I bring the 4runner. The van isn't the best off road racer. :laugh: I'll definately beat you if you keep going after those phantom CP's. :laugh: I wonder what those campers were thinking that were between the start/finish and the first CP, when 150 toyotas came tearing around the corner.

Oh yeah, did you get that gear oil all cleaned up? I bet your wife loved smelling that the whole way home. :laugh:

stormtaco
11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
luckly all the sand soaked it up :rofl: so you couldnt smell it. if i had been in that camp i would have been hiding in my truck :laugh:

slosurfer
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I heard they broke one of their front spindles. That thing was cool, he was tearing it up around camp with that thing before 6am on Sat. :laugh:

havik
11-10-2008, 11:02 PM
i had a good time for the little time i was there. i was hoping to see more of the people i know but we mainly hung around one spot for most the time and i didnt have a lot of time. i wanted to come back and camp but i didnt have any thing to sleep on and i didnt want to buy another matress so next i too cant wait for next year. fri-sat is the way to go. i did get to sit shot gun for the poker run which was fun. it was great seeing all the sick ass yotas. i am bummed i missed so much. stupid family. oh well for sure next year and maybe by then i will have my 4.3 in.
more power=more fun at the dunes
see yall next year for sure