PDA

View Full Version : exotic car project, photos stemmed from other thread

neliconcept
11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I can have everyone read this thread as it gives detail to what im doing with these pictures, this is just the first time out shooting, i still need to go out and do more, different angles, different cars (havent done bentley, jaguar, bmw, mercedes, or rolls)

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=5762.msg57867;topicseen#new

here are the first batch...

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1329.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1358.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1414.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1425.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1443.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1482.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1415.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1332.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1363.jpg

YotaFun
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Nice Blake.
all look phenomenal.
The one with the brake caliper alone, did you mean yo have the upper portion of the rim and tire blurry, just seems that way to me, but I could be so wrong...

neliconcept
11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Nice Blake.
all look phenomenal.
The one with the brake caliper alone, did you mean yo have the upper portion of the rim and tire blurry, just seems that way to me, but I could be so wrong...

unfortunately i had to use a wide open aperture, but i think that one is just out of focus, let me see if i have another that is in focus, otherwise my excuse would be wide open aperture and short dof

neliconcept
11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
this one is prob a little better.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/exotic%20cars/_MG_1442.jpg

it sucks when you dont have enough avail light in the room, i did buy a nice flash and soft box to go with it, along with off camera shoe cord and shutter release cable to use for various bs.

YotaFun
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
this one is prob a little better.

it sucks when you dont have enough avail light in the room, i did buy a nice flash and soft box to go with it, along with off camera shoe cord and shutter release cable to use for various bs.

No Pic :P

neliconcept
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
fixed

YotaFun
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
yeah like the second pic better,
though what i think looks good looks bad to some others it seems...

neliconcept
11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah like the second pic better,
though what i think looks good looks bad to some others it seems...

well i can go through them all and criticize the hell out of them, but its just a work in progress, i appreciate it though

YotaFun
11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
well i can go through them all and criticize the hell out of them, but its just a work in progress, i appreciate it though

lol yeah

mastacox
11-12-2008, 08:32 AM

I'll do my best to add my constructive criticisms. Don't take them personally, I'm really trying to look at these pictures as if I were looking at a portfolio or a photo shoot going into a magazine.

1) Good picture, what's the "i" in the upper left corner though. Like the lines of the backdrop, like the lighting, overall this is a strong picture IMO.

2) I guess I like the idea, but calling a Lamborghini a "Lambo" is just tacky IMO (can we get more of the name in the shot?). I'd try and get some more detail shots of the Murcielago's headlights, taillights, and front intake ducts; the angular lines could yield some very cool pictures.

3) I think the contrast needs to get bumped in this picture, and the subject is too centered. Stick to the rule of 1/3's; I would think it could look better with the oil cap in the left 1/3 of the picture and showing more of the red intake manifold. Lighting might be tough, but with a good exposure you can make up for the rest of it in Post-processing. You're shooting RAW, right? You can get a bit more dynamic range when you shoot in RAW, which can help with post-processing later.

4) While the low angle is cool, it's implemented poorly in this case for a couple of reasons. First, the roof is god-awful and ruins the lighting and the picture's content (I know there isn't much to do about it, but unfortunately if that's the only place you can get pictures of Ferrari's, you're SOL and shouldn't bother IMO). Second, the headlight seems a bit cut off where as with a slightly higher angle you could get all of the headlight's projector in the picture. And third, this is a poor choice of location on the bumper because of the little square cover that is smack-dab in the middle of the frame. Basically, this picture will have to be dumped IMO.

5) This picture is blurry, but I do like the one you posted that is clearer. It would be cool as a low DOF shot if you nailed focus on the front of the brake caliper while the wheel and brake disc is out of focus.

6) I like this picture, but the lighting is poor and it's somewhat disctacting that you can see some sort of white tag through the mesh holes (We can also see your reflection in the horse, which is a huge no-no in high-end automotive photography). Lighting from the top or bottom might be somewhat more dramatic, but I like the idea of this picture with a higher incident angle closer to the horse with a controlled DOF so that the horse is in focus and the mesh goes out of focus off to the left (or right) of the frame.

7) Terrible picture, sorry :/ Grainy, no obvious subject, most of the car is cut off and awkward points, and that god-awful roof again. Unless we can get a picture of one of these cars in a showroom with a more attractive backdrop, I think you're stuck with detail shots on the Ferrari's.

8) I like this picture, Lamborghini's are excellent for detail shots. That being said, the black and white graininess detracts somewhat from the shot IMO. Also we've lost the rule of 1/3's, the headlight is in the exact middle of the frame which is a no-no IMO.

9) It's not working for me, not sure what it is. A lower incident angle against the body might help, with a single body line to catch your eye. As it is with the wheel cut off and the mirror stretched strangely, it isn't really an "attractive" picture of the car which is a shame.

I hope this helps, I'm jealous of you being able to go shoot all of these cars :thumbup:

neliconcept
11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
thanks brian, some counter points that i should have pointed out, unfortunately this class sucks so much that hes making us shoot in jpg so that we have to print directly from the printer using the card reader to use all meta data.

i hate the grainy ness but i was shooting at 1600 to 3200 iso without a flash, now that i have a nice flash and soft box, i may be able to shoot faster with lower ISO to reduce that noise crap.

I use the rule of 1/3s a lot but in these cases (except the engine shot, that should have been on the thirds or on the third of thirds) i like headlights being in the middle for some reason, and the lambo brake, well i wish the other 3 had the full name in, but that one gives more to what the car is instead of the others that had gini at the end lol

mastacox
11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
thanks brian, some counter points that i should have pointed out, unfortunately this class sucks so much that hes making us shoot in jpg so that we have to print directly from the printer using the card reader to use all meta data.

Ah, well it makes sense for a photography class so you're forced to use correct exposure techniques rather than massive Photoshop skills. You may be able to tweak the JPEG settings in your camera to help with the noise/grain and some of the white balance issues, I'm sure you're very familiar with those settings so you might consider messing with them. What camera are you shooting with again? A 5D?

i hate the grainy ness but i was shooting at 1600 to 3200 iso without a flash, now that i have a nice flash and soft box, i may be able to shoot faster with lower ISO to reduce that noise crap.

You know, if you were using a tripod or other mount for the camera, you wouldn't have to shoot at high ISO either, you could just shoot slow shutter speeds. Shooting with a tripod would probably help a lot with your exposure/lighting issues.

I use the rule of 1/3s a lot but in these cases (except the engine shot, that should have been on the thirds or on the third of thirds) i like headlights being in the middle for some reason, and the lambo brake, well i wish the other 3 had the full name in, but that one gives more to what the car is instead of the others that had gini at the end lol

Well the rule of 1/3's isn't an end all be all for all pictures, but I do find myself drawn to well implemented 1/3's photographs in most cases, as well as pictures with good contrast, good leader lines, and well implemented DOF.

I think you can get a little slide-card or table that will estimate your total DOF based on your sensor size and aperture, you might consider trying to vary your DOF to capture just the subject and blur the background for better "pop." Professional photographs always tend to stand out from "lesser" photographs because the subject is in-focus, and the rest ain't. What's the widest-aperture lens you have?

mastacox
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Also, when you're using that flash my tips would be:

A) NEVER shoot with the flash mounted on top of the camera pointing straight forward unless you're doing a closeup macro shot. Try and bounce the flash off of the ceiling, walls, whatever. Direct shine from the flash will create ameteurish-looking shadows IMO.

2) If you can, having the flash off to your left or right on a stand pointing at an angle with the subject might give some cool/dramatic shadows.

III) If I had to choose between using a flash or mounting to a tripod and using a slower shutter, I'd choose the tripod as long as the light is aesthetically "good."

neliconcept
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Also, when you're using that flash my tips would be:

A) NEVER shoot with the flash mounted on top of the camera pointing straight forward unless you're doing a closeup macro shot. Try and bounce the flash off of the ceiling, walls, whatever. Direct shine from the flash will create ameteurish-looking shadows IMO.

2) If you can, having the flash off to your left or right on a stand pointing at an angle with the subject might give some cool/dramatic shadows.

III) If I had to choose between using a flash or mounting to a tripod and using a slower shutter, I'd choose the tripod as long as the light is aesthetically "good."

i used off camera hot shoe with soft box, creates nice light... i used the flash directly with softbox for interior shots. created nice light.

i just got back from bentley, funny how when i wear a bentley t-shirt i get to drive and move cars for them for no reason at all, a total of 5 cars i had on the streets today but wasnt able to take shots of them out, however, better news is, my dad got off the phone from high point bentley in north carolina, a friend of the family owns it and is going to talk to both ferrari and bentley to let me use cars AT MY OWN DISPOSAL whenever i want to... not sure if that will work or not but we shall see, i need the aston martin dbs and the bentley gt speed down in downtown near some graffiti or something, but i may need to take a gun so i dont get these cars stolen from me

neliconcept
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
totally missed this post lol sorry

Ah, well it makes sense for a photography class so you're forced to use correct exposure techniques rather than massive Photoshop skills. You may be able to tweak the JPEG settings in your camera to help with the noise/grain and some of the white balance issues, I'm sure you're very familiar with those settings so you might consider messing with them. What camera are you shooting with again? A 5D?

im using a 30d and have noise compensation turned on a long with varying wb, i use either tungsten or stray light wb while inside and today had to use cloudy as it was cloudy, sometimes ill set up my color temp to a certain kelvin number to see how it works in certain situations.

the first run of pictures were basically a test run to get perspectives and everything.

You know, if you were using a tripod or other mount for the camera, you wouldn't have to shoot at high ISO either, you could just shoot slow shutter speeds. Shooting with a tripod would probably help a lot with your exposure/lighting issues.

i plan on going back to ferrari to do this with some of the cars, and maybe lambo, with the wheel and some of the low level i was taking pictures at i dont think my tripod would work so well as it spreads the legs but the center doesnt swivel downward just up and down, not angle.

Well the rule of 1/3's isn't an end all be all for all pictures, but I do find myself drawn to well implemented 1/3's photographs in most cases, as well as pictures with good contrast, good leader lines, and well implemented DOF.

I think you can get a little slide-card or table that will estimate your total DOF based on your sensor size and aperture, you might consider trying to vary your DOF to capture just the subject and blur the background for better "pop." Professional photographs always tend to stand out from "lesser" photographs because the subject is in-focus, and the rest ain't. What's the widest-aperture lens you have?

i love bokeh and short DOF but sometimes it gets a little old, i use an f2.8 lens on my 24-70 and my 10-20 is a vary ap with 4-5.6 at with 4 being at 10mm

ill upload the bentley shots, i was able to get great shots and didnt go any higher then 400 iso so the grain shouldn't be an issue, i did more short DOF here though.

thanks for the comments, im def getting some ideas on things from you Brian,

like i said in my previous post, i just contacted Geoff Eade, a friend of the family who owns the bentley dealer in NC and he knows the GM at the one here and some of the guys at the ferrari/maserati/aston martin dealer, so i may just get my wish and take out some cars hopefully :)

mastacox
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing some more pictures from you, this is pretty fun. Some more ideas for pictures:

- Close-up of the Mucielago's front intake ducts with the honeycomb grill.

- Closeup of a wheel with it turned some so you can get some tire tread as well as the wheel in the shot.

- Closeup of a Ferrari prancing horse logo on the front or side of the car, hopefully on the brightest red or yellow vehicle you can find.

- "Driving" shot where you slow the shutter speed slightly and are following in a chase car. If you track the car correctly while taking the picture, the picture ends up with the car perfectly sharp, and the background and tires/wheels are blurred from the motion. Might be a difficult picture to pull off as I've never actually tried it, but that is the money shot in auto enthusiast magazines.

- Closeup of the front of one of the cars with headlights off and then on (possibly just the parking lights on too, especially at dusk). Sometimes when the headlights are on you can get some cool flares and effects. Don't take a picture straight-on, but off to the side so you don't get direct shine from the lights.

- Closeup detail of the Ferrari's (or other vehicle's) carbon-ceramic brake discs, if you can get some cool grain detail out of the surface.

- If you can, you should try getting some detail shots of the interiors, things like the stitching on the seats, closeup of the gauge cluster, shift knob, things like that.

- If you're allowed to have someone turn the car "on," some vehicle's gauges have a cycle they go through when first activated where the needles go all the way to max, and then back to min. If you take a picture of that happening with a slow shutter, the needles will be blurred and could look pretty cool.

I have a million ideas, but I think these are some good possibilities.

neliconcept
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
- If you can, you should try getting some detail shots of the interiors, things like the stitching on the seats, closeup of the gauge cluster, shift knob, things like that.

did that of the bentleys today, it has a mulliner interior (a package that makes the interior have interesting sticting and more elegant style)

ill get those pictures up soon.

I got an email back from Geoff Eade our family friend, and he gave me contact info for guy from ferrari, not yet from bentley, i will call this guy soon and see what he thinks about everything.

im also going to upload some shots that werent in black and white, the BW kinda made the grain appear, i think i effed that up some, i may redo the BW on them, ill repost some and then ill add some more that I didnt post, along with the bentley shots in the next hour or so.

Thanks for the ideas Brian, im going to try a moving shot, its harder to pan then it is with two vehicles at the exact same speed, panning, one thing i havent gotten down pat just yet.

neliconcept
12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
sorry for the really overdue update and here are some edited pictures in raw this time.

one ill be turning in, the front of the aston martin and maybe the odd bentley side shot.

super concentrated blacks and fill light with contrast bumps, fun and gives it a nice appeal.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/_MG_1735.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/_MG_1766.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/_MG_1806.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/_MG_1812.jpg

neliconcept
12-01-2008, 08:11 PM
its been really nasty weather and my teacher has a thing about grey skys, he doesnt like them, so im going to have to go shoot wednesday and finish up this shit so i can get it done for the project.

mastacox
12-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Here are my constructive criticisms :D

1) Cool picture, really like the shallow DOF. I kind of wish this shot was angled so that we saw more of the headlight and car's hood, and less of the background. The black and white seems to work well in this case.

2) Good angle, great post-processing, WIN!

3) Pretty good picture, it just doesn't seem to be doing a lot for me. Maybe there is too much stuff on the front of the car to look at. The picture may be a bit over-sharpened also.

4) Pretty good picture, I like how the background colors complement the car's color. I also like the implementation of the shallow DOF and how the car's windshield and mirror are still visible, but blurred smoothly. For some reason to me it seems like the headlight is too far to the left. I would again suggest more hood and windshield, less background.

neliconcept
12-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Brian, yeah i could prob try and get a more angled shot next time.

im going to be shooting again wednesday and thursday hopefully.

this week is going to kill me lol.

04 Rocko Taco
12-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I dont have near the expereince or expertise of you, or these other guys, but to me they are looking pretty alright Blake!

neliconcept
12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
here are the others that i turned in.

i prob didnt get a good grade because he railed me on doing a little bit of contrast work in photoshop, despite 2 other people i know did some work to theres.

but however he told me never to shoot indoors and another kid did and said well he let him do it indoors because he knew how, mother fucker i know how to shoot indoors, look at these fuckin photos.

i about bitch slapped the teacher, he doesnt like "car" photography, hes a douchebag and im done with the class so i dont care anymore

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v931/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30641672_1549.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v931/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30641673_1867.jpg

YotaFun
12-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Never Ceases To Amaze Me Blake!
Keep Them Coming!

neliconcept
12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
bout to start a modeling thread, thats all the car pics i really have

YotaFun
12-14-2008, 06:35 PM
bout to start a modeling thread, thats all the car pics i really have

Finally, lets see the Ladies!