PDA

View Full Version : Off road HID lights, worth the hype?

oly884
04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone looking at off road lights and drooled at the idea of getting a set of HID off road lights such as the Hella's or the Lightforce HID lights.

However, I have never seen or read any review on them that really summed up, are they worth it? I have not seen any pictures either.

$600 PER light is a lot of cash to throw down for lights, especially when you can get TWO halogen lights for half that and get a damn good set as well.

I do understand the idea that HID's are 35 watts vs halogen which can be upwards of 100 watts. However, I have really never heard any one say, "HID IS worth it"

So, I ask, have any of you bought, read reviews, seen pictures, or seen them in real life and can give me a real answer as to whether HID's are worth it or not?

Cheese
04-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I have seen the HID Lightforces, they are super bright and BLING-tastic. They were on a go fast diesel, I want to say 4 of them, not 6. It was like driving during the day. Long throw, wide beam and intense.

I have also seen a lot of the Lightforce 240's. They are HUGE, not as spendy and really thrown down power. I ran out of time and thought money was better spent elsewhere, otherwise I would have at least two on the truck.

What are you lookingo to do, how much do you value BLING!

The other factor is breaking and stealing. We have tons of flying rocks around here, the lights take a beating. I would have a hard time putting that much light on something that sees road time because of a fear of breakage.

calrockx
04-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Lightforces are built pretty well. They're not indestructable obviously, but I don't think breakage would be a factor in ruling out HIDs if I were considering them. At least in my experience, my 240s have held up nicely. Stealing...aye, something to consider alright.

I'm curious about the HIDs as well, but like Mr. Cheese has said, the 240s are nice, and a good bang-for-the-buck.

oly884
04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, that's about what I was thinking. Bright yes, but worth it, most likely not. Especially when factoring it the theft factor and the breakage factor.

Thanks guys!

Cheese
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I would rock them if it was someone else's dime.

For my money, it is 240's all the way.

oly884
04-08-2007, 08:15 PM
I would rock them if it was someone else's dime.

For my money, it is 240's all the way.

True, if it were someone else's money.

Since it will not be however, come time, I think that the 240's will suffice.

Good Times
04-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I've got the 240 XGT's and love em. Between having a pair of the 240 XGT's and the 170's make for one great time in the dark :)

mastacox
04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I've got the 240 XGT's and love em. Between having a pair of the 240 XGT's and the 170's make for one great time in the dark :)

Are the 240's significantly brighter than the 170's? I will be looking into lights in the not too distant future, but I felt like the 170's were a little bit more manageable size... and since they use the same bulbs I figured they were *approximately* the same.

calrockx
04-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Are the 240's significantly brighter than the 170's? I will be looking into lights in the not too distant future, but I felt like the 170's were a little bit more manageable size... and since they use the same bulbs I figured they were *approximately* the same.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/DRIVINGLIGHT.pdf

i have the 240s, had the 170s. as impressive as the 170s are, the 240s are even brighter. i'm glad i upgraded. as far as size, you can see how they relate to a 3rd gen in pictures of my truck, or a 4th on the Good Times truck.

Jared
04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I have the 240's as well and love them. They are big, but they are very light (and strong!). I've seen the HID's and they are almost ludicrously bright, but IMHO, not worth the money.

salad_man
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
As for the Hella 4000's HID or not, I have two pairs, halegon, one driving and one pencil, and all I can say is wow!!! They throw out the light and keep the beam pattern, and at only 250.00 or so for the pair they are well worth it. As for the HID's, I have seen them mounted onto an H1 out in Death Valley, and they are well worth the money if you have it to spend on just lights.

DirToyBoy
04-13-2007, 08:25 PM
anyone here done the roundeyes or h4 headlight conversion??

Cebby
04-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Expeditions West raves about their HID's See their site for their recent Alaska expedition.

salad_man
04-20-2007, 04:37 PM
anyone here done the roundeyes or h4 headlight conversion??

My buddy has done this to his yota with the Hella headlamps and bulbs. In both of our opinion it was not worth it.

jimbo74
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM
for $600 i could buy about 10 pairs of kcs..... im sure that many lights would be mroe than enough

oly884
04-20-2007, 09:03 PM
for $600 i could buy about 10 pairs of kcs..... im sure that many lights would be mroe than enough

However, 10 pairs of KC's at 100 watts each is 2000 watts which, at 12 volts, is about 166 amps. Hope you got a few alternators on your engine!!!

The beauty of HID is the low consumption and the high light output. A 35 watt HID is brighter than a 100 watt halogen light, so I've read.

Cheese
04-24-2007, 12:23 PM
And for the price of one Ferrarai I could buy 25 Pintos. If I drove them all 55 MPH at once it would be the same as driving the Ferrarai 345 MPH, right?

xcmountain80
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
OK for b[quote=oly884 ]
Well, that's about what I was thinking. Bright yes, but worth it, most likely not. Especially when factoring it the theft factor and the breakage factor.

Thanks guys!
Ok for breakage factor I hit a corolla and only broke the light reflector on one of my 240's They are all plastic and replacement parts are cheap. My only downside on HID's is that you cant use them on the road, as far as I know they don't like to be turned on/off/on/off/on. I use my LightForce 240's as aux. high beams ans since the bulbs are cheap too no biggie. Now if you were offroad only then I would say go for the HID's but for me and cost is an option the regular non HID are the best choice.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/P1310542.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/P1011148.jpg

Aaron

mastacox
04-24-2007, 12:36 PM

It doesn't really matter how many 100W KC's you get, they can't throw light as far as a set of HID's. But, the argument is fairly valid in that you could get many sets of lights to point in all directions if you wanted.

Still, if you need to see as far in front of you as is absolutely possible, HID's are the grand champions.

xcmountain80
04-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I think you mean no matter how many kc's you have you cant throw them as far as lightforces period. I have used many, many, lights and have found none to be as bright as Lightforce. I cant outrun the light and it actually goes further than I can even see!

Aaron

91ToyTrck
04-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I was going to put some HID lights in my truck but I was reading up and VA wont allow you to have them if they aren't stock with your vehicle. I'm sure that a cop wouldn't know the difference and as long as you have them leveled right it wouldn't be a problem, but it's so much money.

I like my H4 and getting ready to add some Hella 500s with some upgrades bulbs and I'm still only about 1/4 the price for the light output. I have money left over for rock lights and backup lights as well.

4x4Fink
04-27-2007, 06:18 PM
$600 per light? JIMINY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I don't think legality would be an issue here since these would only be used when the legal lights wouldn't work...I am assuming anyway.

Fink:devil:

Tanto
05-03-2007, 12:34 PM
As long as you have the light covers on, you shouldn't run into an issue. At least in CA you can run 55w bulbs on public roads legally, but you're unlikely to be able to prove to the police that it is only 55w on the side of the road.

I have been very happy with my Hella 4K non-HID lights (3) with a 100w bulb in them and you can always convert them to HID down the road if you find yourself looking to upgrade your light output.

BruceTS
05-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Just a quick note....... I have a friend that has 3 Hella 4000 HID's brand new in boxes, he wants to sell all of them as a set $1200.... That's $400 each! If I had the $$$ I'd have bought them. If intrested let me know........

oly884
05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
If I had 1200 I'd be all over it!

If your friend is willing to wait a couple Mos. then let me know.

BruceTS
05-05-2007, 03:06 PM
If I had 1200 I'd be all over it!

If your friend is willing to wait a couple Mos. then let me know.

you and me both, if I could some come up with the $$$, they'd be mine.....

They are the eurobeams, so a nice wide pattern.

As for which one's are the beat, the simple answer is the one with the metal housings, Lance's Lightforces all busted off.....cheap plastic.

BruceTS
05-29-2007, 11:32 PM
so far no takers on the lights............ This is a great deal, too bad I can't afford them...... David I won't post about this if you still want them.

Trumpfan
05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

Anybody familar with the soltec lights that baja designs sells. Price seems right and they look like they could take a ton of abuse.

oly884
05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
so far no takers on the lights............ This is a great deal, too bad I can't afford them...... David I won't post about this if you still want them.

Thanks, but they're out of the budget as of right now. I'm saving up to buy 5 acres of land right now. So that takes precedent. Thanks though!

Tanto
06-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I believe that the ExpeditionsWest crew ran 4 of them on a removeable and adjustable light rack for their Polar Expedition they completed recently.

www.expeditionswest.com

I've seen them on many desert trucks so I would imagine that they are pretty good.

Texas Jim
06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Do you need to install a bigger alternator especially with a high grade audio system? TJ