PDA

View Full Version : Aussie locker in the 4runner or the Van?

slosurfer
11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm in the middle of regearing and locking my 4runner. The 5.29 elocker retrofit is almost complete. I have a 5.29 front diff that I bought almost 3 years ago that will be going in the front.

I picked up an aussie locker for a really good deal. So, do I install it in the front of the 4runner and be double locked or do I save it and install it in the rear of the van?

If I put it in the 4runner, I'll save the stuff I remove so that I can take it out if I can't handle the steering issues. I'm interested to try it, especially since it is really easy for my to grab 2hi even from 4lo on the fly. I obviously know that a selectable in the front is the best way to go.

The van would be cool as well because, well it would just be bitchin' to have it locked. :hillbill:

Right now, I'm leaning towards installing it in the 4runner and if I don't like it, removeing it and putting it in the van.

What does UY have to say?

Don't tell me to put an ARB in the 4runner, I barely have enough $$ for the gear oil I need. :flipoff: Also, don't be surprised if I do the exact opposite of what you say. :laugh:

Seanz0rz
11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
sorry, i got distracted by boobies.

put it in the 4runner, since its a trail rig now. you really dont need a locker in the van...

strykersd
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't see the van hitting obstacles that require a rear locker. I say throw in in the 4runner.

So I take it the rear end of the van is a 7.5" diff? If you're on a budget you could do what keith did, find a supra 7.5" LSD and throw it in the rear end of the van.

4runnerchevy
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I say lock the one that is more hardcore. So I guess I mean lock the Van :flipoff:

slosurfer
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't see the van hitting obstacles that require a rear locker. I say throw in in the 4runner.

So I take it the rear end of the van is a 7.5" diff? If you're on a budget you could do what keith did, find a supra 7.5" LSD and throw it in the rear end of the van.

:laugh: The van's already been on a trail where a rear locker would have been helpful and I'm sure it would make it even better and more fun out at the dunes. Which is why it is a dilemma. :laugh: The Supra LSD has definately been a thought of mine since I got the van. I think I can even get one for the front, but it's a different size and harder to come by.

I say lock the one that is more hardcore. So I guess I mean lock the Van :flipoff:

:lol: It would make it so that all my toys had a rear locker. :flipoff:

YotaFun
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I am going to be different and say go with the van...
You still haven't even put your sliders one yet have you....?

slosurfer
11-14-2008, 06:35 PM
:laugh: The van has one slider

door that is. :flipoff:

YotaFun
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
teh only way i will change my mind is if I see sliders on that 4Runner of yours, there collecting dust :P

Cheese
11-14-2008, 06:51 PM
If you put two lockers in the truck, you will start breaking things and having the chance to get lots of dents. You will also be more prone to thinking an axle swap is a good idea.

If you try it in the truck and swap to the van, at least someone here will get to hear about the realities of front auto lockers on trucks that get miles on them.

Good luck.

slosurfer
11-14-2008, 08:30 PM
^^So, would that be one more vote for the van then? :laugh:

Yeah, the steering issue scares me a little, and I'm wondering how it will affect it in the dunes. Not too worried about the dents as I want the lockers in order to do the harder trails.

Like you said, if I do put it in the 4runner, I plan on keeping track of how it does and keep a running review on it for others to be able to look up.

slosurfer
11-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Looks like the van is starting to run away with it. :D

4Runner202020
11-15-2008, 11:23 AM
i say the runner.

but where did you get this profile picture/video thing. lol you got the full length version? aaaaahhhhh

slosurfer
11-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Make sure you vote in the pole above first....

enjoy..
http://www.seatgirls.rj41.ch/

Good Times
11-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Throw it in the 4runner first and be gentle on the skinny pedal. After that you can throw it in the van after you get an ARB up front :D

slosurfer
11-15-2008, 02:52 PM
You guys suck at polls. I see at least 5 who said "4runner" and it only shows 2 (one of which was my vote). :laugh: :laugh:

Well, I have till tomorrow morning to decide. I swapped out my cv's today, so tomorrow I install the front diff either with or without the aussie. :)

YotaFun
11-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Just stay open up front.
Lock the rear of the van.
I can see you going to down the road one day when you need it in the van and your gonna say to your self "Man I wish I had the locker in this thing"

Cebby
11-15-2008, 04:53 PM
What are you going to do if the hooters win?

BTW, your avatar is distracting - in a good way...

corax
11-15-2008, 05:10 PM
My personal opinion . . . you use the van like you might want it locked someday. The 4runner, unless it's a trailer queen would be better with an LSD in the front or open diff until a good junkyard run. Just my opinion though, you know better than anyone what you intend to use each for.

slosurfer
11-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Well, the hooters came close enough to winning, so I sold the locker and went to the TT bar. :hillbill: :flipoff:

Just kidding!! :flipoff: :laugh:
So it was a close run between the van and the hooters for those that voted and then pretty much a tie between the 4runner and the van with those that voiced their opinion but didn't bother to vote in the pole. :laugh:

Well, I installed it in the 4runner. Still need to install the diff and test it, but the diff is all buttoned up. My reasoning was that after hearing what everyone had to say here, and then hours of research, I could only find one or two that actually had a lunchbox locker in their front IFS that hated it and removed it to go back to open. They either liked it and left it, liked it just okay but dealt with it till they got a selectable down the road, or something else like a SAS. It was probably at least 20 to 1 of those who liked it and wouldn't go back to being open. The rest of nay sayers were ones who actually did not have one in their rig. That and I don't do much snow driving here. :laugh:

Now, I know what the downsides could be to not having a selectable and I'm going to test this out for my type of wheeling. I tagged and bagged the spider gears, thrust washers, and side gears that were removed, so that later on, if I hate it or am breaking too many parts, I can go back to being open. ONce I get the 4runner rolling again, I'll do a front IFS Aussie locker review. I'll try to be as detailed as can be so that others can get a real view of what it will be like.

Thanks to all who voiced your opinion and for those that voted for the van, there is still hope that it will get something down the road. :) Who know's maybe the van will get an ARB.

Cheese
11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I guess I will amend my vote to say that locking the front of the truck will encourage you break things, but that is even more true in the van.

I don't see it being a positive in the dunes, I do see it being helpful on real crawling trails.

Take stock in NAPA idler arms and get after it.

YotaFun
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
hmm I wonder if we all had voted for the Runner, would you have then put the locker in the van....

I saw earlier that someone mentioned and LSD for the rear of the van.
Street wise its alright, but when you hit the trials, nothing beats a full locker.
We learned that easily when we went wheeling in the winter months here.

slosurfer
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Cheese, I always take what you have to say very seriously, and I agree that this will encourage me to break things. I was already getting there and was to the point where I was going to start breaking things from being open and having to get on the skinny pedal. Basically took what you had to say and others and weighed my pros and cons and came to the conclusion that it was worth a shot (especially since it isn't my DD). After my trip to Coyote Lake, I really want to hit many of the harder trails in the Sierras, we'll see how it goes. :D

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it handles in the dunes. The majority of the time I'm in 2hi. But for all I know, when I'm in 4lo, it might just make me get really stuck. lol

Funny you should mention the idler arms, I'm actually testing bronze idler arm bushings for SDORI and I figured this combined with everything else should test them even more. So far so good, they are lasting much longer then the plastic bushings.

Avy, haha. Well, I did put a disclaimer saying that I may got the opposite way. Also, the fact that the 4runner front diff was already sitting on the bench probably swayed me as well. :hillbill: I agree with you about a full locker for the van. Who knows maybe one day I'll have an ARB in the 4runner and the van. :)