PDA

View Full Version : cold weather tips?

cros
11-17-2008, 03:27 PM
hey guys,

this is my first winter with the new runner...is there anything i need to take note of before it starts getting too cold out? startup/driving habits? fluid changes? its a 02' sport edition v6 with 61k BTW. Thanks, i look forward to hearing would you guys have to say. :smokin:

4runnerchevy
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Pet it, every now and then, and tell her you love her :love:

cros
11-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Pet it, every now and then, and tell her you love her :love:

damn, im glad you mentioned that...

any other comments?

drguitarum2005
11-18-2008, 06:40 AM
wait i must be missing something... whats this concept of "winter" you speak of?

on a serious note, since where i live we dont have winter, i can at least suggest making sure your battery is in good shape to crank you up in the morning.

4x4mike
11-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I always make sure I change my "summer" washer fluid to a "winter" version. It sucks when you go to spray and everything freezes on the windshield. All other fluids I pan to keep the same. I change up my stuff I have inside though. I through a snow shovel in, take out some of the water, add a blanket and assorted other things.

4runnerchevy
11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
In Cali we throw some sorta chains in the back. They require you to carry in R2 conditions, but not use. In R3 they typicaly close the road. De-Ice in the windshield wiper tank, Check your coolant, maybe a different grade oil for those arctic conditions, put some studs for crossing the glacier, and the pet your truck every once in a while. Toys dont need much!

X-Tool Pimp
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Im in So Cal. Whats this cold weather you speak of :headscratch:

Lee
11-19-2008, 05:57 AM
beyond having a strong battery for start up its really a question of making sure you let the truck warm up a bit before you start to move.

beyond that, winterizing is a bit of a myth unless youre using really crappy fluids / oil, imo.

MTL_4runner
11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I switch over to synth 5W-30 or 0W-30 for winter because it does help with the very cold weather starts and improves gas mileage overall. Also make sure to keep your tires at the proper pressure since cold weather will cause the pressure to go down. MD doesn't get enough snow to need snow tires like up here or I'd say change those over too. Just make sure it's well tuned up because winter is a stinky time to be fixing anything.....ask me how I know.

cros
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
beyond having a strong battery for start up its really a question of making sure you let the truck warm up a bit before you start to move.

beyond that, winterizing is a bit of a myth unless youre using really crappy fluids / oil, imo.

how long would you say to let it warm up in the morning?

MTL_4runner
11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
how long would you say to let it warm up in the morning?

Most of the time it isn't recommended to let a vehicle warm up before driving it because it will heat up much faster than just sitting idle and that goes for the reduction of exhaust emissions as well. That being said, I know I'll ususally let mine idle on the really cold days but it's more for me than the truck (sorry but -30 is WAY too cold to just hop in and wait for it to heat up). On most days warm or cold I'll hit the remote start about 1-2 mins before I get in which should be plenty of time to just hop in, throw it in drive and go.

NHEric
11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I let mine warm up for atleast 5 minutes. I usually take it slow for the first mile or so. Have your battery tested,make sure all your fluids are topped off esp the windshield wash. Sucks when you run out of washer fluid. I carry an extra gallon with me. I also carry some extra wiper blades,never know when one might want too fly off. Also a Blanket, flashlight, first aid kit. Also a good snow rake or snow scraper. I have a snow rake ones the dealers get with the long wooden handles. Works awesome. I would put a shovel and tow strap in the back (not for you, but all the other people who get stuck that need help LOL)

Give your Rig a good wash and wax also. I am sure they use alot of road salt down there. Also give it a good bath after you get er all dirty. Keeps that salt off.

Thats about all I can think of right now.

oh yeah make sure your tires are good. We are going to get blasted this year!!!! :thumbup: :drink:

04 Rocko Taco
11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
the truck will actually warm up faster being driven than sitting and idling, although you do want to take it slow, if you have a 5 speed, keep it below 2K rpm until you can see the temp needle move. If you have an auto, just take it slow and easy. It will hold 1st gear for a little bit to run the revs up, this is normal, dont worry. :)

Lee
11-19-2008, 04:09 PM
what if you have a 5spd with no tach like in my 91 :laugh:

4runnerchevy
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
If my windows are clear, its warmed up. I drive it slow, but I have always gone by what was said earlier. Your car will achieve running temperature sitting idle faster than moving while idling forward (and getting somewhere). No metal, alloy or Iron likes being heated rapidly, so a gradual ramp to operating temperature would seem to me the way to go.

Erich_870
01-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I found the limits of my antifreeze this morning... -12deg F The dog and I have cabin fever with the baby and cold weather and all, so we set out for a walk. I warmed the rig up, hoped in and noticed my temp gauge was going up. Pulled over 1.5 miles later and it was up into the red. Crap! Turned it off and hoped out and opened the hood. The radiator was frozen so the fluid wasn't circulating. Gave it 5 minutes, pumped the upper hose by hand and could hear the ice moving around. The overflow bottle also puked. After a passage was thawed in the radiator I fired it back up and went drove to our trail of choice. The temp guage stayed in the normal range the rest of the time.

I'll be flushing the system tomorrow and adding fresh Toyota coolant.

Here's the question, How much do I need to buy? Also, should I use a flushing product before I refill the system?

Thanks,

Erich