PDA

View Full Version : Subaru AWD vs. competitors

paddlenbike
11-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I thought this was a really interesting demonstration. The Subaru Forester and Subaru Outback's traction control systems were compared to those on competing models--the Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander and VW Passat 4Motion. The Subarus were the only cars to complete the climb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

Good Times
11-20-2008, 12:54 AM
cool video!

now ya wanna buy me a subi so i can validate that on my own terms? ;)

paddlenbike
11-20-2008, 07:44 AM
The roller test was cool and all, but I think Subaru should have stepped it up a notch and used an offroad park with hillclimbs, articulation tests and mud.

I wish manufacturers would use this advertising method more often--in other words, show us why you build a better car. I always thought Toyota should have done that with the pickups and 4Runners because they do take a lot more abuse before breaking than everything else.

slosurfer
11-20-2008, 08:20 AM
That was pretty cool. I agree, a park would have been cool.

I wish they did it where you could see the rear wheels at the beginning. It looked like they had to drive over something that was just off camera outside. The highlander due to its wheelbase had its rear wheels right at the bump while the audi had a longer wheelbase and its rear wheels had room to roll before hitting the bump.

RobG
11-20-2008, 08:32 AM
That's cool, I love the way the Honda just sits there spinning. Not sure if any of them are effected by their wheelbase or not. I have to say I love my Outback, I've only tested the AWD a few times but it has impressed me every time.

Way back in the day when Paul Hogan was their spokesman they used to push the offroad (outback) side, but it a purely superficial way. I really liked when they used to advertise more ground clearance than a ford explorer, what does that say about the explorer. Problem with off road capability is that it can be very subjective and such a small percentage of buyers that actually take advantage of it.

Know any good Subaru forums?

MTL_4runner
11-20-2008, 08:33 AM
I wish they did it where you could see the rear wheels at the beginning. It looked like they had to drive over something that was just off camera outside. The highlander due to its wheelbase had its rear wheels right at the bump while the audi had a longer wheelbase and its rear wheels had room to roll before hitting the bump.

They are driving over a lip at the rear.....see below. I suspect they did that to ensure the Honda and Toyota couldn't shift enough power to the rear wheels to get it moving forward since it requires alot more power from a dead stop that it would if momentum was involved. Still a cool test, but too bad Subies are bad on MPG because of the AWD setup they run.

paddlenbike
11-20-2008, 09:03 AM
It appears to me that they were able to adjust that bump for wheelbase. You can see it as the cars try to climb the ramp.

My understanding is most AWD cars use a viscous coupling center differential. When the front or rear driveshafts turn at different speeds, the viscous fluid heats up and "locks" to transfer power. Because you have fluid between the two plates and nothing actually locking the two together, the fluid is allowed to slip and torque never makes a complete transfer. That's why AWD vehicles such as Dodge Durangos and Ford Explorers do not do well offroad. You cannot lock the center diff on our company's Durango. There is no low range either, but that's another story.

Subaru uses "an electronically managed continuously variable multiplate transfer clutch." This system is more effective at transferring torque than a viscous coupling. Subaru calls this VTD, variable torque distribution, and is only available on cars with automatic transmissions. Manual transmission Subarus apparently use the lesser viscous-coupling type. The other advantage of VTD is it biases slightly more torque to the rear wheels for a sportier feel.

Mossyrocks
11-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Ill add something to the subaru awd... I had a 430whp wrx with a stock drivetrain. From a dead-stop launch on the rev limiter there was absolutely no delay before all four tires lit up.

And like said above, under acceleration the wrx/forester/legacy center diff is split 40/60 fr/rr. Its a pretty sweet setup actually.

On my STI the center diff was controled either by the driver or computer. If you locked it 50/50 fr/rr it was a nightmare turning on dry pavement. For dirt or snow it was great though.

xonetruthcrewx
11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Subaru definitely has the best AWD systems out there. Second would be Audi/VW.

I remember once I had a Honda CRV as a loaner. That car was definitely a FWD car despite the "Real Time 4wd". It had torque steer as well as a slight loss of traction under the front wheels under hard acceleration. It was a joke.

Good video though.