PDA

View Full Version : stripped out skid plate backing nuts and frame holes

troyboy162
11-23-2008, 03:22 PM
my truck has always been missing a few bolts do to some of tho holes being completely stripped out. searching alternate forums the only fix mentioned was taping for the exact same size bolt. thats not really an option for me as my frame holes and nut plates are truly "stripped" not just messed up a bit. the holes are 8mm, would tapping for 10mm be too much? is there a SAE size thats a notch bigger then 8mm and the perfect solution?

thanks for any replys

slosurfer
11-23-2008, 03:37 PM
You could always find the correct size helicoil (http://www.rivetwise.co.uk/productrange/helicoilinserts.asp).

slosurfer
11-23-2008, 03:40 PM
:laugh: Sorry, that is a UK site.

This might be the correct size:
http://www.twistingwrenches.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3360

corax
11-23-2008, 03:41 PM
X2 on the helicoil, just be sure to use new bolts or you'll mess up those nice new threads you just installed.

BTW, Helicoil inserts are a much harder metal than the original weld nuts that were there from factory, so the new threads should be much stronger

slosurfer
11-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Till then, there's always duct tape and bailing wire. :laugh:

corax
11-23-2008, 03:44 PM
:laugh: Sorry, that is a UK site.

This might be the correct size:
http://www.twistingwrenches.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3360

most good auto part stores should have Helicoil - Harbor Freight also sells a kit for much cheaper (if it's in stock at the Victorville store)

Robinhood4x4
11-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Depends on whether there's enough meat for a helicoil to bite and hold on to. If not, you can drill out the old and weld in a nut or drill completely through the frame and use a long thru bolt with nut. If the latter, make sure there's nothing behind.

4x4mike
11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I think putting a Heli coil in there will be a PITA. If I understand the OP the "nut" is stripped. I have the same thing going on on my 4runner. In one spot I broke free the nut, it's a square nut that was spot welded to the frame, and just use a regular nut now. You might be able to drill and tap the nut but you're likely to break it. I'd try to get the damaged nut out and replace it. In my case I can weld (it's a tight fit) a new nut on but I haven't had the time to get in there. There are different thread pitches for metric M8 and M10 as well. You might be able go that route.

Bob98SR5
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
troy,

the other thing you can do is to JB weld in a bolt with metric threads on both ends of the bolt, but make sure that the end facing downwards does not extend too far out. then all you would need to do is to secure a nut vs bolts like you used to do. Make sure that the inside of the threads are cleaned out really well before doing this.

I can't recall what the name of these bolts are, but wood workers use Hanger Bolts. one side is for wood, the other is for machine screw threads