PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing a dragging brake

Small_words
11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Fellas, I think my driver's side front brake is dragging, but I want confirmation. When I have the front on stands and spin that wheel, it rotates about 1/2 turn before stopping. I can hear and see that the pad is contacting the disc. So, I've kind of answered my own question, but I'd like to hear how smooth the rotation of a wheel should be.

I'm planning to switch to Tundra calipers sometime in December, but I want to confirm that my front caliper needs work. Thanks fellas.

MTL_4runner
11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Try and compress the piston for each front caliper.....you'll be able to tell if one is sticking. Other thing is that it could be a warped rotor but you'd know by spinning the wheel since it would speed up and slow down erratically when you spin the wheel by hand.

4x4mike
11-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Does your other side front wheel have the same drag? What makes you think you have a problem? Noise? Heat?
There is always some drag and I think mine would stop before making a full rotation but I've never paid it any attention. Have you pulled the wheel and looked at the caliper or pads?

Small_words
11-25-2008, 10:11 AM
The other side doesn't stop as quickly and makes it about 1.25 turns instead of 30 degrees or so.
I pulled the wheel in order to get to the fuel filter. When I stuck my head in the well, it looked like someone with a really bad head cold had exploded in there (CV boot torn). I rotated the disc my hand in order to find the tear and noticed it was hard to turn it. I haven't played with the caliper yet, though the pads look to have some wear left in them.

- I'll check the caliper pistons tomorrow night

4runnerchevy
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Your rotor is warped, caliper bore is fuct, some sorts backing spring is done ! Even your bearings could be loose. Take the thing apart and then lets diagnose the problem.

Small_words
12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Ok, rather than futz with the caliper, I'm going to do the Tundra swap and forget about this. Thank you fellas