PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Nissan 370Z

paddlenbike
11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
It sounds promising. 3.7L V6 with 332 hp. There is a 7-speed auto available, but anyone that checked that box should just probably just buy a Lincoln Towncar. What excites me is Nissan's new 6-speed manual: "The world's first SynchroRev manual transmission technology monitors the 6-speed's clutch pedal operation, shift lever movement and vehicle speed. Shifting to a lower gear automatically blips the throttle to the ideal engine rpm for a smooth downshift. Smoother shifts help keep the chassis balanced, meaning this tranmission delivers handling and power."

Interesting.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/11/01_370z_red_spy_gtrworld.jpg

Seanz0rz
11-25-2008, 08:16 AM
i really like it! i think nissan has a winner here. the styling is much more akin to the earlier Z's and this thing LOOKS like it weighs several hundred tons less than the 350Z.

cmon toyota, wheres your supra?

paddlenbike
11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Toyota used to make some of the most exciting cars around. For example, look at the early 90s when Toyota had the MR2, Celica All-Trac and Supra, all available with 200 to 330 hp turbocharged engines. Heck, even the Corolla FX16 and Corolla GTS were somewhat exciting. Toyota really does not make cars that a person can be passionate about, Nissan/Infiniti does.

4x4mike
11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I checked out the link you sent me. Pretty slick looking. Even the interior looks nice, navigation and all.

Whitey
11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
and this thing LOOKS like it weighs several hundred tons less than the 350Z.

?????

troyboy162
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
i hadnt heard of the automatic rev matching on the manuel. how would that work i wonder? i mean how would it rev to match if it dosnt know where im shifting until its too late? i know there tiptronic automatic transmision is awesome at rev matching, but that ones easy as your only going up one gear or down one. none of my fancy 6th to 4th trickery on the freeway lol

DHC6twinotter
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Eh, I'm not really digging it. Those headlights look very similar to the new Maxima, which I think are pretty terrible. Other than that, it isn't too bad, and that manual tranny sounds sweet.

And I agree with Sean, Toyota needs to bring back the Supra, or at least an MR2 Turbo.

DHC6twinotter
11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
i hadnt heard of the automatic rev matching on the manuel. how would that work i wonder? i mean how would it rev to match if it dosnt know where im shifting until its too late? i know there tiptronic automatic transmision is awesome at rev matching, but that ones easy as your only going up one gear or down one. none of my fancy 6th to 4th trickery on the freeway lol

I'm guessing it blips the throttle after the gear is selected, although the system would have to react quickly in order to blip the throttle before the clutch is depressed, but even then, I dunno if engine can increase it's RPMs that quickly. Just a guess...interesting idea, and I'm curious as to how it works as well.

paddlenbike
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Since it knows the position of the clutch pedal, vehicle speed, engine speed and what gear you're attempting to put it in, I don't imagine it would have any problem with dropping two gears. I'm not sure what it would do if you tried to drop more than that.

Seanz0rz
11-25-2008, 04:13 PM

?????

i always thought the styling of the 350Z made it look heavy, which it happened to be, very very heavy.

Whitey
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM

?????

i always thought the styling of the 350Z made it look heavy, which it happened to be, very very heavy.

Honestly, don't the think they look the exact same, save for the headlights?

Mossyrocks
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Im not too sure about yall, but that manual gearbox sounds like it would be nothing but a nightmare and I gaurantee you it wont be there anymore in the next couple of years....

If I were to buy one I would have an auto hands down. Can you imagine that car with a 7-speed auto and about 1000whp?

Whitey
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Is that the Skyline tranny?

RunnerUp
11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
i always have liked manuals over auto's but i still think toyota should grow some balls and release a new supra to compete (sp?) with nissan and ford/gm....

neliconcept
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Im not too sure about yall, but that manual gearbox sounds like it would be nothing but a nightmare and I gaurantee you it wont be there anymore in the next couple of years....

If I were to buy one I would have an auto hands down. Can you imagine that car with a 7-speed auto and about 1000whp?

some people dont realize that the new automatics with the double clutch technology is lightyears faster then a manual even with the best driver.

i love manuals and they are fun to drive, but ill take the auto with the SMG, ferrari F1 or mercedes 4matic technology

04 Rocko Taco
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Car looks nice, but I think that tranny would also be a nightmare, I dont need my tranny matvching revs for me.... I can do it, if I need it. I want my car to be dumb, do what I say, and nothing else.

That thing with about 1000 whp, and a nice drifting susp set up would be SICK.
I bet RSR builds the first one. :)

Mossyrocks
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
For drag racing... There will never be a manual as fast as an automatic in a given car... Not to mention consistancy. I dont think people realize how long it actually takes a person to shift.

paddlenbike
11-26-2008, 08:06 AM
I dunno, I like the manual because it keeps you more engaged in the driving experience than an auto. Although the new autos will let you hold gears, they do not have the same feeling as having a direct connection to the drivetrain.

Tankota
11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
I like that car. I'm an original Z car fanatic, but I think I like that one. Its a little more of a throwback to the originals. Would like to see some more angles of it.

neliconcept
11-26-2008, 09:57 AM
For drag racing... There will never be a manual as fast as an automatic in a given car... Not to mention consistancy. I dont think people realize how long it actually takes a person to shift.

not just drag, but f1 and circuit racing, a manual gearbox without a clutch is what they use.

most all automatics have an option to hold gears, but usually if you stomp it, it will downshift without you asking.

however with the SMG, F1, 4matic and all the other gearboxes in the amg, m series bmw and ferraris, its essentially a manual without a clutch to hold

Mossyrocks
11-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I dunno, I like the manual because it keeps you more engaged in the driving experience than an auto. Although the new autos will let you hold gears, they do not have the same feeling as having a direct connection to the drivetrain.

But that right there is exactly why I think I would hate the manual in this car.

Mossyrocks
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM

not just drag, but f1 and circuit racing, a manual gearbox without a clutch is what they use.

most all automatics have an option to hold gears, but usually if you stomp it, it will downshift without you asking.

however with the SMG, F1, 4matic and all the other gearboxes in the amg, m series bmw and ferraris, its essentially a manual without a clutch to hold

and yup.

Whitey
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
With the Z, why not take a page out of Chris Forsberg's book and develop the Titan's V8 to drop in there. The weight is close and it's got 380ft/lbs.

I just wonder how strung out the first generation of that v6 is to put up those HP numbers.

Mossyrocks
11-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I would never own a Z with a V8... its just wrong. haha

But I doubt its strung out at all. stock STI is 300/300 with a 2.5l 4cyl. Which is seriously detuned. Then you have the Integra type R with 240 stock. Plenty of others but you get the point.

There are alot of 2jz supras with over 1000whp not to mention the WOTM supra with 1400whp out of a 3.4l stroker 2jz. Ive also seen a few 350z's with 1000whp

04 Rocko Taco
11-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Don't forget Chris Forsberg's first year in the 350Z drifting, he blew the VQ35 motor in it, and ended up buying Signal Auto's spare SR20 motor out of thier S15 project. Turbo 2.0 liter 4 cylinder, making right at 990 whp. :)

DHC6twinotter
11-27-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd like to see a 350Z with a RB26dett. :D And AWD.

Whitey
11-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Don't forget Chris Forsberg's first year in the 350Z drifting, he blew the VQ35 motor in it, and ended up buying Signal Auto's spare SR20 motor out of thier S15 project. Turbo 2.0 liter 4 cylinder, making right at 990 whp. :)

I think the Signal Sr's were 2.2...and I find that 990# EXTREMELY hard to believe.

04 Rocko Taco
11-28-2008, 05:34 AM
Dan, I too would like to see an RB26 in there. :) Heck, I like to see an RB26 ANYWHERE. and Whitey, I beleive you are correct about the Signal Auto SR's. Now that I think about it, I think they were one of the first to experiment, and then continually use the 2.2 stroker kit for them. Pretty sure on the power though) if you have an unlimited budget, and can build a motor from scratch it isnt hard. :)

Whitey
11-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Dan, I too would like to see an RB26 in there. :) Heck, I like to see an RB26 ANYWHERE.

true...
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/jrwhite13/R34TE37A.jpg

paddlenbike
11-30-2008, 04:13 PM
All this talk of 2JZs and RB26s is getting me excited. I thought the turbocharged inline-6s were gone until BMW released the 135i/335i models.

My favorite engine is still the overseas Supra 2.5L twin turbo 1JZ-GTE with a 7800 RPM redline. Small motor but big power and torque.

DHC6twinotter
12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
My roommate has been thinking about throwing in a 1jzgte into his SC300. He's kinda getting the itch again since he sold his 380hp '93 MR2 Turbo.

The new BMW 335 is very nice, and definitely a car I would consider once the price drops some. I'm just curious to see what their long term reliability is going to be like.