PDA

View Full Version : Best value for sub $150 point and shoot digital cameras

Cebby
11-30-2008, 04:31 PM
What's the best deal out there - and best make for the money. I'm on my second digital Canon Elph (actually 3rd if you include my APS Film Elph)

One of my sons wants a digital for xmas - I need some guidance, budget is $150 for the camera. Not concerned with high mp value, but would like mini vid capabilities and SD memory - aside from that, I don't care.

TIA

Seanz0rz
11-30-2008, 06:15 PM
i love my cannon sd1100IS got it for 172 a few months ago on www.dbuys.com. looks shady but they were excellent with me and have good reviews on pricegrabber.com im sure the price has dropped since. i know many others with the camera. its pretty nice.

otherwise look at kodac. super super easy to use. www.trustedreviews.com and www.cnet.com for reviews on the cameras.

RunnerUp
11-30-2008, 07:47 PM
ive got a canon elph also, the sd1000 with 7.1mp, its my second elph, first one was the sd400 5.0mp. i basically get a new one every year or year and a half, they are too fragile for me, i break a lot of stuff

Good Times
11-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Any of the Canon p/s lines are great! The one that Sean posts is also a great one.

Cebby
12-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Any of these under $150? Trying to control the bleeding this xmas...

Good Times
12-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Canon SD1100IS + 2GB Card + free shipping @ Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739948&st=sd1100&type=product&id=1202429847720
expires 12/1/08

The Canon 770IS is expired. I think the price went back up. Today is suppose to be cyber Monday deals but I haven't found any good ones. The only one that's reasonable is the BB above. I'll check again midday.

DHC6twinotter
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I would go for the Canon SD1100IS as well. Both Chris and Sean have one and they are nice cameras. I was going to get either this camera or the SD790IS to replace my SD450, but I think I'll hold on to my 450 for a bit longer. You can also get the SD1100IS in different colors and it comes with a rechargeable battery.

Dell.com has them for $159, but I've seen them go for $140 when a special is going. They pop up on www.deals2buy.com every now and then too.

Just my $.02.

04 Rocko Taco
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Good info here guys!
I dont really have a point and shoot camera, as mine is a bit more complicated, but have been looking at getting one for wheeling use, as I feel it is taking to much of a risk with my nice camera out on the trails.

DHC6twinotter
12-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Dell has the Canon SD1100 for $144 now: http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=SNA&details=undefined

One thing about Canons, and probably most digital cameras, is that they come with very small memory cards. Not sure what the SD1100 comes with, but my guess is either a 16 or 32mb SD card. Memory is so cheap now, this probably isn't a big deal, but thought I'd mention it anyways.

:thumbup:

Seanz0rz
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
i received a 32mb with mine. i got a 4 gig from best buy (not even a cheap online place...) for like 20 bucks. you can find em even cheaper than that.

i like my canon, but i think its too difficult for a child to use, hell its too difficult for me, a techie, to use.

paddlenbike
12-10-2008, 12:28 PM
It is really difficult to fault the Canon Powershot series cameras. I am not a point & shoot guy, but I am really happy with my Canon PS SD870IS. (Somewhat similar to the SD1100 mentioned here.) The colors are natural and vivid looking, unlike some cameras that either produce dull colors or overexaggerate colors to the point that the photo actually looks enhanced. Many Powershots offer quite a few manual controls--the ones I use are manual exposure, manual shutter speed for long exposures (1 to 15 seconds), and of course manual white balance, etc. As far as I could tell, the Powershots were the only ones with a complete manual shutter speed, which I love for taking nighttime scenery shots.

If ease of use is important, the Kodak EasyShare cameras have pop-up dialogs that tell you specifically what each scene setting is used for (beach, scenery, fireworks, etc.) and in general there are dialog boxes that explain each setting. Very nice, but they do limit features to make them easy to use.

For 95% of the people out there, just about any digital camera will produce very nice results. Some just do a little better for the 95th+ percentile.