PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Airbag light issue (07 4runner)

aMiR904
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
anyone have issues with the passenger airbag light not coming on when a passenger is seated? it works when i sit in the passenger seat but when my wife sits, the indicator actually turns to "off".

she weighs half as much as me but the light is very intermittent. anyone know where the sensors are located? maybe we can apply pressure on it and activate it that way.

Seanz0rz
12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
i know in my friends mustang, if you slouch in the front seat, the airbag will turn off. since this is still under warranty (im assuming) take it to a good dealer... not something to mess around with.

04 Rocko Taco
12-01-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree with Sean. Take it to a dealer, and ask them to look at it if it is under warranty, tell them your situation and concerns. Unless your wife is freakishly small, she should be large enough to activate the airbag.

aMiR904
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
ya, its still under warranty... barely, i managed to put on 20k in 1 yr. ill take it to the dealer, i hope its not much of a downtime. do dealers provide loaner vehicles for warranty repairs?

aMiR904
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
just got back from the dealer. looks like if the person doesnt weigh enough, the airbag actually turns off in order to avoid injury to the passenger from the air bag deployment. an elderly person or a child may not be able to take the airbag explosion and it may have adverse affects to the passenger. so looks like its working as it should.

Scuba
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Hmm, Thats intresting to know, and sorta a good idea, but im pretty sure your wife would deff need the airbag if anything happens.

Although its not much help, as I know you didnt need the donor vehicle , But they as far as I know they do offer donors, Well, they did when my dad had his yaris worked on..

aMiR904
12-02-2008, 06:51 AM
but she is about 110 lbs, and it turns on and off intermittently, i think the dealer just doesnt wana do the warranty repair and turned me away.

id like to find out what the weight limit is and take that proof to the dealer. any ideas where i can find it? or is there another route i can go with this to get it repaired?

MTL_4runner
12-02-2008, 08:58 AM
The airbag turning off for a light passenger is totally normal. They are set for kids sitting in a childseat but I'm not sure what the cutoff weight is on an 07 4runner. Check your user manual because it should tell you in there. If the airbag is still not arming and the passenger is significantly over the arming weight, then take it back to the dealer and demonstrate this fact for a mechanic and they should authorize the repair.

04 Rocko Taco
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I would certainly think that 110 pounds is over the wieght for turning on the airbag. I tried to think of everyone I know of over 110 pounds, and they are all big enough to warrant an airbag. I'd stick it to them!!