PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a part for my 90 4runner

reggie 00
04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok i know a few people have parts trucks and secret stashes.

Well i came home today to grab a paper punch off my desk. As i am getting out of my truck i notice something a miss on the 4runner. I get down to get a better look and the panard bar is just hanging on barely.

Seems somewhere sometime ago i lost what ever nut and washer and what not attaches the panard bar to the driver side attachment point.

Does anyone have or know what i can get to reattach this? Is it just a bushing and a big fat washer and nut or is it more to it.
I searched around looking for a parts catalog online to no avail. Going to break out the service manual after the kids go to bed, and thought i would get a head start here in case i don't get lucky.

Thank ya. :thumbup:

reggie 00
04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
:(

No One??

reggie 00
04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/panhard.jpg

Cant seem to find My FSM, probably buried in the garage.

Can anyone tell me is this just a nut and washer or is there a bushing there too.

my guess is there is a rubber bushing the washer retainer and the nut.

But i cant find any parts illustrations to confirm.

Thank you

Tofer
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
you should be able to get grade 8 hardware at OSH to replace it...

Piett
04-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I would guess that there was a bolt running through a sleeve in a rubber bushing.

The grade 8 (or 10.9 bolt), washer, sleeve, and nut you can get at the hardware store. Just be sure to Loctite it well. If the rubber bushing is gone you ought to be able to get from the dealer.

reggie 00
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
you should be able to get grade 8 hardware at OSH to replace it...

I would guess that there was a bolt running through a sleeve in a rubber bushing.

The grade 8 (or 10.9 bolt), washer, sleeve, and nut you can get at the hardware store. Just be sure to Loctite it well. If the rubber bushing is gone you ought to be able to get from the dealer.

I'm thinkin i can find the nut at Ace or Orchard, just wondering if the "washer" is special, and if it had a bushing.

I don't have vol 2, FSM
And the 93 online one doesnt show what i need. And none of the parts places online i checked shows me a illustrated catalog, or even the panhard bar for that matter.

I'm just covering all bases till i get the time to go to Napa and have my parts guru search it out.

Oh and as far as loctite goes, i plan on drilling it out and
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/Wiretie.gif
Haven't had much practice since i left the navy, but i had lots of practice rebuilding the gun on my system.

Thank you

slosurfer
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey Reggie, hit up a junkyard. Should be plenty of those there.

reggie 00
04-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Reggie, hit up a junkyard. Should be plenty of those there.

Not any of the close ones. I try to make the rounds every couple of months to find "things i need"

The ones up in sac i have been to don't let you roam around, and i make it a habit to steer clear of TAP.

Just trying out the brain trust here. Its not a dire thing I'm sure once i get a hold of a parts catalog i will be able to tell the type of bushing and what not.

Its just kinda weird it came off.
Talk about guardian angels, last time was out was me and the Dude going up north to wheel. surprised and glad it didnt come apart the rest of the way on the trip/

slosurfer
04-04-2007, 10:25 PM
That's weird, did you remove that when you installed your cruiser coils?

reggie 00
04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Not that i remember.

We tried to take as little apart as possible.
Think we intentionally left it alone, we thought we might not be able to get it lined up again.

Don't remember fussing with it. Look at it when we got done to see if it shifted the axle to one side.

Its possible it just rattled off. I seem to find little things every time i get into something, but what can you expect for only costing 600.

reggie 00
04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
So i got a hold of a camera tonight:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/DSCF1438.jpg

So how lucky am I. :headscratch:

This had to have happened on the way back from the last outing, which involed a 1.5 hr road trip there and back.

Fun stuff, add it to the never ending list :clap:

callmej75
04-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Oh mannnnn...I had the SAME thing happen to me. I just ordered one from a dealer in Texas off the unnamed board. It has 2 bushings in it. One outer, and one inner. I just ordered the whole bushing kit that was next to nothing. It comes with 2 bushings, 1 washer and nut. Heres the PM I got for a quote...

$10.50 for both bushings, washer, nut. The bushing is a 2 piece type and you will need both.

OH...and good luck getting that rearend moved over to get aligned...I fought with it for about an hour with both rear wheels off the ground and kicking the tire over.

reggie 00
04-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Oh mannnnn...I had the SAME thing happen to me. I just ordered one from a dealer in Texas off the unnamed board. It has 2 bushings in it. One outer, and one inner. I just ordered the whole bushing kit that was next to nothing. It comes with 2 bushings, 1 washer and nut. Heres the PM I got for a quote...

$10.50 for both bushings, washer, nut. The bushing is a 2 piece type and you will need both.

OH...and good luck getting that rearend moved over to get aligned...I fought with it for about an hour with both rear wheels off the ground and kicking the tire over.

Cool,
I looked in there for a pic and price but couldnt find it. Do you have the parts number(s)?

Moving it over will be no problem. We have enough stuff in Pop's garage to do a good amount of stuff. Plan on using a hydraulic ram to "make it" succumb to my will.

slosurfer
04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
ONe way I have heard to move it over: Leave rear on the ground and have someone move the steering wheel, it may help shift it over. Haven't tried it yet, but I will next time just to see if it works.

Robinhood4x4
04-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Geoff and I used a ratchet strap or two, to move it over. It wasn't that hard.

cootees
04-08-2007, 10:13 AM
To do mine with the drop bracket we had to put the rear on tripods and using the jack under the passenger side of the axle we were able to get the bar on it. It took a bit of fulling with it but we did get it on. If you can get an extra set of hands it makes things a lot easier.

callmej75
04-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't have a part number but I can get it!

reggie 00
04-08-2007, 10:32 AM

Sweet thank you.

Still lookin for a way to strip that hi lift down. Slow but sure thats me

callmej75
04-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Sweet thank you.

Still lookin for a way to strip that hi lift down. Slow but sure thats me

I PM'd the guy for the part #....should have it by tomorrow!

Don't sweat the hi'lift...I'm in no hurry as I have a crap load of stuff to get out this week!

reggie 00
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
i gots my pen ready.

reggie 00
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/DSCF1477.jpg

All fixed.

I started by trying to get the rear end off the ground by putting the rear frame on jack stands.
:screwy: of course the cruiser coils allow the rear to drop more so that didn't work.

:headscratch: and all i have avail is standard jack stands,( definitely time to get some over sized ones), problem is i don't have the wood blocks i would have used cause they are at Pop's house. Soooo Cinder blocks it is. :( the things you do to get things done around here.

so after that... still no good. Definitely not going to be tugging and pulling on the axle with it on my contraption.

So first i tried to jack up the driver side to line it up. :shake: Nope.

Then the passenger side
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/DSCF1476.jpg
was all good. Put the parts that i got from Northridge Toyota. Thanks Again Rafa.

90385-24002-axle side bushing
90385-24003-outside bushing
90201-16025-washer
90170-16011- nut

Of course i also tried a nifty try to lift the truck with a hi-lift jack on an incline but quickly put it down before i rotated it into the Tahoe.

So one down a lot more to go.
Up next.
Sliders and possibly the manual hubs