PDA

View Full Version : Wine

slosurfer
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
What are some of your favorite wines to take camping?
Edit: All right this concept was too crazy for some to wrap their heads around, so what type of wines do you like to drink whenever? YOu can include a food pairing too if you like.

A couple of my favorites are:
Wildhorse- Pinot Noir (I like just about anything from Wildhorse)
Wildhorse- Cabernet
Wildhorse- Chardonnay
Edna Valley- Chardonnay
Edna Valley- Pinot Noir (this one is excellent and for some reason is always on sale at my local Ralphs grocery store)
Cherry Point Vineyards- Gewurztraminer (great refreshing wine for when it is hot out, from Vancouver Island, BC we only have one bottle left :( )
Just about anything from Justin Winery
Castoro Cellars- Merlot

Post up some of your favorites.

Bob98SR5
04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
sorry, mr. fancy pants :shake: beer, beer, beer! :chair:

now back to your regularly scheduled program...

slosurfer
04-03-2007, 11:17 PM
sorry, mr. fancy pants :shake: beer, beer, beer! :chair:
now back to your regularly scheduled program...

:lol: :spank: I already know what kind of beer I like. Was wondering what wine others are drinking? When we travel we like to wine tast and bring home wine. Makes a good souvenier :spit: Way better than that Natty Ice you love so much!

calrockx
04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
haha bob, i'll drink to that! we're barbarians.

never seen anyone take wine camping, but hey, whatever works to make the experience better.

marko3xl3
04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
What's wine?

Oh that stuff...
Wait, camping?

Uh... :gay:

Haha just playin. And honestly, I wouldn't know. Are Napa wines any good?

slosurfer
04-03-2007, 11:30 PM

never seen anyone take wine camping, but hey, whatever works to make the experience better.

Maybe it's because I drink wine with my wife, but a good bottle of red wine with a good bbq'd tri-tip is the :thumbup: Honestly, I really didn't drink wine till I started wine tasting and figured out what I liked. Come on there has got to be some wine drinkers here!

Marko, are you kidding about Napa wine?

Bob98SR5
04-03-2007, 11:33 PM
yeah, just giving you a hard time :) wine: i dont know what i like, but i know what i dont like. and i cant tell you what either of them are either. to me, unless you are into wines, its like classical music: you know what you like when you hear it, but dont know the composer :D

marko3xl3
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM

Maybe it's because I drink wine with my wife, but a good bottle of red wine with a good bbq'd tri-tip is the :thumbup: Honestly, I really didn't drink wine till I started wine tasting and figured out what I liked. Come on there has got to be some wine drinkers here!

Marko, are you kidding about Napa wine?

Probably, haha. I live in San Jose and always here about the "awesome" Napa wines on this show named backroads or something like that. And you seem to be quite a seasoned drinker so I seriously wanted to know if you think it's any good.

slosurfer
04-03-2007, 11:48 PM
LOL, I don't know how seasoned I am, but yes Napa is a great place for wine. But, it really is about trying them and seeing what you like. It isn't about price, I have had very inexpensive wine that I thought was really good. The best thing to do for your first winetasting, is to go with someone who has been before. I am no where near any expert by any means, but once I figured out that you don't have to know anything to go winetasting, it is really fun. The people "pouring" are there to educated you, they won't make you feel dumb. I thought it was some snobby hobby that people did, but it totally isn't. The only thing about Napa is that it is really crowded.

marko3xl3
04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
You just became my "pourer" by teaching me something :) I have 0 clue about wines, so it's a good start. By my luck, if I ever went wine tasting, my pourer would randomly snicker, lol.

slosurfer
04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Haha, I just read your post in the Pismo thread and saw that you were still in high school. I was also lucky and we have a friend who knows a lot about wine and was always introducing new stuff to me and my wife. I wouldn't drink wine till she had us try some good ones. It also helps that there are so many wineries here within 30 minutes. I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

oly884
04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
A good red wine is always nice to have along with a big, fat, juicy steak.

I've taken wine camping before, but beer seems to be the better choice. There's just something not right about being dirty and smelly uncorking a bottle of wine with all your buddies around.

Now, replace your buddies with your woman and it becomes a WHOLE other situation.

slosurfer
04-04-2007, 07:37 AM
A good red wine is always nice to have along with a big, fat, juicy steak.

I've taken wine camping before, but beer seems to be the better choice. There's just something not right about being dirty and smelly uncorking a bottle of wine with all your buddies around.

Now, replace your buddies with your woman and it becomes a WHOLE other situation.

:lol: So true!Okay, I am going to change this to what kind of wine do you like whenever. Remove the camping angle :shake: since you guys can't seem to wrap your brains around that one. I will edit the first post.

Euphorickaty80
04-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Key thing to remeber with wine is red wine with red meat and white wine with white meat. Also, cheese with wine is also cliche but excellent. My favs are:

Chateau Morisette- sweet mountain laurel
Pretty much any brand Pinot Gringio(sp?)
pretty much any brand Blackberry Merlot

Im not much on red wines if you cant tell. I prefer sweet white wines. Just never mix wine and beer unless you like to vomit.

marko3xl3
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Haha, I just read your post in the Pismo thread and saw that you were still in high school. I was also lucky and we have a friend who knows a lot about wine and was always introducing new stuff to me and my wife. I wouldn't drink wine till she had us try some good ones. It also helps that there are so many wineries here within 30 minutes. I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

You got me! Haha... But yea, around this age nobody drinks wine. I don't even know if I would have a taste for it...gotta try it sometime.

habanero
04-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Mount Pleasant Ten Bucks...my husband's favorite.

I'm not too picky, something a little sweet, not too dry. Maybe St. James Schoolhouse red or possibly Velvet Red. Oh, and Augusta River Valley Red.
Most always from a and sometimes while at a local winery. They're getting a little nuts with the bands and noise these days, so mostly at home now.
I'm not a big fan of white but since we usually have wine with bread and cheese or a red or tomato alfredo pasta it's all good.

slosurfer
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
You got me! Haha... But yea, around this age nobody drinks wine. I don't even know if I would have a taste for it...gotta try it sometime.

Oh I know you've probably pounded back some Boons!

Mount Pleasant Ten Bucks...my husband's favorite.

I'm not too picky, something a little sweet, not too dry. Maybe St. James Schoolhouse red or possibly Velvet Red. Oh, and Augusta River Valley Red.
Most always from a and sometimes while at a local winery. They're getting a little nuts with the bands and noise these days, so mostly at home now.
I'm not a big fan of white but since we usually have wine with bread and cheese or a red or tomato alfredo pasta it's all good.

I'm not a big fan of whites either, but since I started tasting, I realized there are some that I like.

habanero
04-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Eww! Boones!

St. James Schoolhouse white's not too dry or bad, and the Ten Bucks is a sparkling white sweeter tasting wine.

slosurfer
04-04-2007, 05:24 PM
The St. James sounds familiar. I will have to look for it, I too am not a fan of the super dry white wines.

Cheese
04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Imagine hippy Sasquatch with a bottle of red and Lexan glasses to pour it in running around camp, your house, anywhere, that's me!

First, there is only red. White wine is old water.

Wine and pasta, wine and steak, wine and cleaning chainsaws.

I am a Coppola fan when they are on sale.

Penfolds Shiraz and Shiraz mixes get me too.

Being a student, a good date is a fresh local pie and a good red either on the floor or in the park, bound to start a good evening.

oly884
04-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I thought I'd add, anybody like, or try mead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

I've been home brewing it for about 2 years now and I have to say, it's easy, and it's a great drink! Takes some getting used to if you're a big fan of wine, but I do have to say, it's a whole new experience.

reggie 00
04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
This is too funny.

Ok not a big wine drinker by any means. Back in Marko's age loved the Boones and Mad Dog.

Have had a few wines out of Oregon, pretty good.

If Napa is to crowded try Calistoga, Sonoma, St Helena, and what not, lots of little winerys and even some big time ones are scattered around the surrounding areas. Use to go quite often to set up lighting systems in the wine caves.

Reds are ok, but i like Chardonnays. Which is weird cause i like dark, dark,dark beers. Darker the better, Guinness and steak, Red Hook has that cool stout with coffee in it.
Good Bocks are cool too. Need to get ahold of Sam Adams triple Bock.

Anyone makes it up this way and wants to go "a tastin" let me know don't know where all of them are or even whats good but well have fun one way or the other.

surf4runner
04-11-2007, 02:38 PM

:spit: :laugh:

2-buck-chuck or something from a box :tongueout:

im in the 'know what i dont like' category, but will try most

BansheeToy
04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
For reds I like either a Cabernet or Merlot. I usually only drink Chardonnay in a white 'cause I find most others too sweet. I like dry wine! I don't really have favorite brands or vineyards, so I'm always trying something new and different.

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

slosurfer
04-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Imagine hippy Sasquatch with a bottle of red and Lexan glasses to pour it in running around camp, your house, anywhere, that's me!

I am a Coppola fan when they are on sale.

Penfolds Shiraz and Shiraz mixes get me too.

Being a student, a good date is a fresh local pie and a good red either on the floor or in the park, bound to start a good evening.

:lol: The funny thing is, there have been many evenings I have been working on the 4runner and my wife opened up a bottle. So I am working and have a wine glass sitting on the bench. Makes for some funny looks from the neighbours. She hates it if I get oil on the glasses though. :chair:

Reggie, I didn't take you for a white wine person, I can picture the mad dog but not the boons. :spit:

Oly, I haven't tried mash, but would like to.

Enjoyed some JLOHR Seven Oaks Cabernet last night with some pasta and Trader Joes Vodka Sauce. Went very well together.

jrallan26
04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
When I eat pasta my wife and I enjoy a Lambruso.

TDiddy
04-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Riunite on ice...that's nice! :P

My favorite cab right now is 2003 Chateau St. Jean. Awesome with a t-bone. I went there and bought a 2001 bottle of Cinq Cepages when it first debuted for something like $35. Not knowing any better, I opened it. Now its worth close to $90.

Kunde makes a good table red too. La Crema and Kim Crawford Chardonays are nice for whites.

slosurfer
12-21-2007, 08:28 PM
^^^Wife no longer digs the hard stuff, so we always bring wine camping. It's hard to deal with a 3 yr. old in the morning if you have a killer hangover. :D

paddlenbike
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Cheese mentioned the Penfolds Shiraz, of which I am a fan. My fav types are Syrahs, Cabernets and Shiraz and while any wine aficianado would never admit this, I love blended wines.

My absolute favorite is Rombauer Zinfandel. For wine on the cheap, it's hard to beat Menage Trois from Costco.

So, who can name my beer of choice for Ultimate Yota camping trips? :D

yotanut
12-21-2007, 09:55 PM
bella glos 2004 pinot noir
anything red from girasole winery in great humboldt ca.

elripster
12-23-2007, 08:42 AM
We bring wine camping. I like Orfila (Escondid), Fortino (Santa Clara), and Churon (Temecula) a lot. We belong to those wineries.

The Santa Ynez valley is a fun place to taste. Zaca Mesa is one of the better wineries out there but lots of them are good. You can finish up your day the Trattoria Grappolo for dinner and more wine. That place is bomb.com for Italian food.

Yeah, it might look funny opening a bottle but once it's in the little blue or red cup it is now indistinguishable from any other cupped beverage. :)

Frank

neliconcept
12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
i have reallll expensive taste

i drink nothing less then domaine serene, its a pinot noir variety.

i also like 1997 Beaulieu Vineyard, its a cabernet. ones less then a 100 a bottle, the other is far more then 100.

even camping, i like my wine somewhat aged.