PDA

View Full Version : Don't stick your arm out the window

ttora4runner
12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
This was a video I took while on a run two weekend ago's with the Yuma4wheelers. The driver of the Jeep was very lucky in that his Jeep didn't go over as it would've been a pain to flip him back over due to the area that he was in and he stuck his arm out the window.
In another video from the opposite you can see that the Jeep is balanced but any more and it would've went over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs4W_zLXo-A

Here's a FJ40 and a Toyota/Jeep Hybrid in the same area making it look easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWrU1jNlVY0

glenyoshida
12-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Egad. That makes me cringe.

4x4mike
12-18-2008, 10:46 PM
This is a good PSA. You have to be even more careful in an open topped rig with a roll bar. People tend to grab the bars in a roll. It's a great way to crush a hand. I've never done that but it sounds painful.

I am guilty of sticking my hand out of the window like that though. Everytime I think "stupid." Kind of like when you get hit in the face with something when you're using the grinder with out glasses or face shield.

Be safe out there.

Bob98SR5
12-18-2008, 11:42 PM
ive mentioned this many times in the past, but a good friend of mine lost his leg from the knee below b/c he was riding in an open door jeep. looks cool and all...thats what he thought until he lost his leg. it happened on the streets, but nevertheless, when i see someone with the doors off, i just cringe

Terracoma
12-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Was anyone else thinking he picked a horrible line, right from the start?

Good call snatching his arm back inside the truck, though... Would'a been bad news, boss.

ttora4runner
12-19-2008, 04:07 AM
Was anyone else thinking he picked a horrible line, right from the start?

Good call snatching his arm back inside the truck, though... Would'a been bad news, boss.

The driver was fairly new to driving in rocks like this and latter on up the trail he smashed his bumper into some rocks. At least he had the hind sight to stop and not keep going.

Here is what it looked like from the other side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnzUvwLJxs4

I was the passenger in this one (Polaris Razor RZR) and was very interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB1UahPMwLQ

4runnerchevy
12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Been in a couple of roll-overs. Rule never stick anything out the window. Drivers hands should be holding tight to the steering wheel, and passenger should brace the dash. I even put in warning stickers (R&L handed) so people that ride in my off road rig are reminded of this (as well as me).

glenyoshida
12-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Been in a couple of roll-overs. Rule never stick anything out the window. Drivers hands should be holding tight to the steering wheel, and passenger should brace the dash. I even put in warning stickers (R&L handed) so people that ride in my off road rig are reminded of this (as well as me).

Cool next time, if you feel like it, take a photo of the stickers. I think that's a great idea.

This thread got me thinking of making a sticker that says something like

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/Misc/Pullthehandbrake.png

and sticking it to the sunglasses holder in the head liner. Maybe this is not worth the effort and clutter since I have an automatic and it would not likely be in neutral to roll down the hill if I flopped. I wasn't able to find the vids but there are a few good clips of people having a bad day from flopping only to have the day get worst as they watched it winched to it's tires then freewheel down the hill side until it crashed because it was in neutral.

I love how places like UY are such a good resource. I can't count how many mistakes I would have made had it not been for the knowledge and experience of others. If only there were a resource good enough to prevent me from making any mistakes. Like when I bought my girlfriend that dual bag vacuum cleaner instead of the Tiffany's solitaire. lol

4runnerchevy
12-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Here, there are rights and lefts.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/4runnerchevy/Keeparms.jpg

4runnerchevy
12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
To me it looks like the only line he could take was the one he took. He needed a little throttle at the bump to get over it. He freakked and stopped. The other rigs just took a line that was easy for thier rigs.

Scuba
12-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Seen that before but dont recall where...
But, Ive been in that spot before, and like others, I bring it right back in and kick myself in the face...

Oh and gary, It did look like he could take another line...

:bling:

Terracoma
12-20-2008, 02:30 AM
I didn't mean to sound overly critical (and I've no real room to talk), but I was curious if anyone else thought that the "less-than-favorable" line choice towards the beginning of the video was what eventually put him in that position later on.

4runnerchevy
12-20-2008, 07:21 AM
I think he was trying to avoid hitting diffs and axles by choosing his lines. His biggest problem was when he felt the vehicle start to roll, he slammed his brakes. I personaly would have run right down the center.

It all started by taking a Jeep off road :flipoff:

ttora4runner
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I think he was trying to avoid hitting diffs and axles by choosing his lines. His biggest problem was when he felt the vehicle start to roll, he slammed his brakes. I personaly would have run right down the center.

It all started by taking a Jeep off road :flipoff:

That and he was still pretty new at wheeling.

neliconcept
01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
when i build a rock rig (or if) i plan on building a bar for the passenger to hold on near the dash, i think Brad did this in the 4runner or somebody did

ive stuck my hand while just touching a rock going around a corner to see how far i was, but it was retarded and i knew i should have kept it in

Intrepidyota
01-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Sadly enough, its a reflex and you don't even realize you are doing it. I have been wheeling for a few years now and I have spent tons of time telling people to keep their limbs in the vehicle, both on the trail and on the forum. I have always reminded people over and over about it. Then the last time I rolled my truck before I did the cage, I stuck my leg out to catch myself :screwy: I didn't decide to do it and to be honest, I don't remember doing it, I just remember realizing I was going over and looking down and being like, "HOLY CRAP! WHY IS MY LEG OUT THERE?!" and I pulled it back in just in time to not get hurt. I am a little easier on people about it since then, because there was no conscious though in my brain to put my leg out and I was horrified when I realized I had. :shake:

drguitarum2005
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
x2 its just a reflex that sometimes you don't realize you're doing. stupid nonetheless! it wouldn't surprise me if i did the same thing but thankfully seeing this might make it a little harder to do without knowing. good thing he pulled it back in and good thing he didn't roll. i saw that almost roll coming as he kept creeping more up the side of the hill.

neliconcept
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
bad line to start with