PDA

View Full Version : Center for Biological Diversity Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to Ve

Cebby
12-23-2008, 12:53 PM
From my inbox...

Center for Biological Diversity Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to Vehicular Use!

Red Rock Canyon State Park is amending their General Plan.

Comments needed in support of designating the route system throughout the Park to keep the roads open.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is not only rich in beautiful geology, but it is even richer in it's mining history and culture and we the people deserve to be able to responsibly tour the Park by motorized means.

CBD is on a all out letter writing campaign to ban all vehicle access to the park
Here is link to CBD release http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2167/t/5243/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=26365
Pretty scary stuff !

Letters and emails must be received by January 5th.
Please write your comments to both of the following,

Rdingman@Parks.Ca.Gov

RedRock@edaw.com

More info. www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

The El Pasos received some recent snow, the last time we remember it being like this is (6-8" at Burro Schmidt's) in the mid-90's (92?) and it is really beautiful in the mountains around Ridgecrest. The Red Rocks State Park Management Plan is in its comment period, and we need your input. The following note came in from one of our members and I thought it important enough to pass along.
"The Center for Biological Diversity is urging it's members to write letters encouraging the closure of the entire 27, 000 acres of Red Rock Canyon to vehicular use. The Center notes the Management Plan will govern use of the area for the next 20 years, and cites 2 endangered plants and the Mohave Ground Squirrel as some of the reasons to close the area. They are using buzzwords such as "defacto roads" and stating vehicles are destroying the pristine environment and killing desert tortoises.

Please see if you can make the time to write your own letter supporting the continued use of vehicles in Red Rock Canyon. Email your comments to: www.RedRock@edaw.com

or mail them to:
Russ Dingman,
California State Parks, Tehachapi District,
43779 15th Street West,
Lancaster, California, 93534-4754.

For more info go to: www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

Here's an example of one person's comment:

I have been visiting Red Rocks State Park for over 20 years at least
once a month. I have never seen NEVER evidence of a tortoise killed on
one of the existing access roads to this beautiful area. I do suggest we
should limit access to roads that were established by the 1980's, such as
the 4wd routes through lower Last Chance Canyon. Thank You
Charles Hattendorf
Friends of Last Chance Canyon

Thanks for taking the time to write some comments.

Merry Christmas,

Greg Weirick
Advocates for Access to Public Lands
www.access-advocates.org

neliconcept
12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Dianne who? and does she have a security system

i should just go and (edited) her.

i ****ing hate these people who do this crap

fustercluck
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Sorry Blake, I edited your post. While I understand the reflex, we should restrain ourselves from such extremeties.

calrockx
12-24-2008, 08:51 AM
If restricting vehicle access is really needed to preserve the biological diversity there, i'm all for it. the park would still be accessible, just not on tires.

there are more important things than me playing around in my truck.

elripster
12-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I emailed.

I think restricting access has a possible unintended consequence in that it concentrates more vehicles into a small area. In the end, it's the concentration of usage that causes issues. I suspect that opening up vastly greater areas and spreading the usage out would yield a win win for all parties.

Frank

Scuba
12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Why are all the freakin good places in so cal tryin to get shut down..?
This is lame, Ill send an email soon...
We honestly cant let this happen...What next...Ban vehicular use in anza/ocotillo??
Hells to the NO !

GTFOH...

:bling:

Robinhood4x4
12-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Charles, the biological diversity argument can be made for everywhere we wheel and for everything that humans do. It's the same argument used to try to shut down pismo. It's the same argument used to shut down some of the wind turbines on the sunol grade. It's the same argument used to try to block solar panels in the mojave desert.

The earth will survive.

troyboy162
12-24-2008, 08:51 PM
i havnt made it out that way yet, but i intend to so i can see the reward mine. anyone here been there that can speak about the roads? my guess is its fine and there arent any issues with people tearing the place up.