PDA

View Full Version : Ripping *movie* DVD's for iPod use

Cebby
12-25-2008, 02:12 PM
How is this done? Software? Paid or free? What's best? What to avoid? (Got 2 of my 3 kids new Nano's)

TIA

Bighead
12-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I use iTunes. Easy, free and it puts the music where the iPod can find them.

Sorry...just noticed you were asking about movies; not music.

jrallan26
12-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I use danius DVD to iphone software for the compression then transfer the file over via iTunes.

Cebby
12-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Sorry - I should have specified. This is for movies. I use iTunes for the music end - it's easy peasy. Will iTunes rip movie DVD's too?

MTL_4runner
12-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Sorry - I should have specified. This is for movies. I use iTunes for the music end - it's easy peasy. Will iTunes rip movie DVD's too?

Mike, you should just be able to rip the DVD using the latest DVDFab Decrypter and then convert the file into an MPEG4 which you can put right onto iTunes and sync away.

jrallan26
12-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I think you only use iTunes for the data transfer.

Bighead
12-26-2008, 06:49 PM
The link below has step-by-step instructions on how to rip DVDs using DVD Decrypter and Videora iPod Converter. I have used these instructions for a while and have not run into any problems. Once I have them converted into MPEG4, I just move them into my iTunes video folder and transfer to my iTouch.

http://www.anders.com/guides/convert/video/iPod/windows.html

Cebby
12-26-2008, 08:15 PM

Mike, you should just be able to rip the DVD using the latest DVDFab Decrypter and then convert the file into an MPEG4 which you can put right onto iTunes and sync away.

I'm trying this trial, but have been less than impressed so far. The default ipod conversion comes out at 16:9 which cuts of the movies on both sides. This is fixable with changing conversion settings, but it takes an eternity to convert when you stray from the defaults.

Also, it's enabling the subtitles, which I certainly don't want. Glad there's a trial - I'd have been pissed if I'd have actually paid for this solution.

I don't have a problem with paying as long as the solution is worth it.

jrallan26
12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.daniusoft.com/dvd-to-ipod.html

this is what I use for my ipod. works great.

drguitarum2005
12-27-2008, 05:23 PM
is this on mac or pc? quicktime pro on mac already has an export preset for ipod movies. wee

Cebby
12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
PC - Win XP