PDA

View Full Version : other things to change/fix while re-gearing a high milage 4R?

troyboy162
12-27-2008, 11:06 AM
my 96 4runner with 190k is going to get re-geared. ive already found that i should replace the rear axle seals and orings while everything is apart. im just wondering if there is anything else up front or in the rear that should be done as preventative maintenance while things are torn apart? thank you for any and all replys

Seanz0rz
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
just replace all the seals, whether they are good or not. check your wheel bearings, all the suspension components (you already have the tires off and such). check the CV's for worn or torn boots. check the ujoints on the driveshafts. i just just go around the entire underside and check to see if things look ok. i suspect you should want to replace ball joints and bushings soon. mine are in terrible shape at 155k miles. i just dropped $547 on those parts. check tie rod ends. basically if anything is flopping around, or has excessive play, you want to look into replacing it!

4runnerchevy
12-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Replace grease in CV boots ?

4x4mike
12-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Like Shaun said, check those CV's and the rear axle bearings. Are you doing the work yourself or are you taking it somewhere. This maintenance can cost some bucks.

Robinhood4x4
12-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Replace grease in CV boots ?

Nah, I wouldn't do that. The grease should be fine and even if there were something wrong with it, he might as do a whole boot swap kit or replacement CV.

Scuba
12-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Since when is 190k considered "high mileage" for a Toyota...?
That things just gettin broken in...
:D

:bling: