PDA

View Full Version : Marko's 1998 Supercharged 4Runner SR5

marko3xl3
04-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I thought it's about time for me to create a show-off page for my truck. Following is a timelined story of my truck from the day I bought it to it's most current state (with many pictures and multimedia :best:). Since I anticipate this story to be quite long, and the pictures tell most of the story anyway, I have posted stats at the bottom of the thread as well for abbriviated viewing.

Enjoy!

-----

This truck is my very first vehicle. I "owned" it since I turned 16 in 2004. Considering it is supposed to be my reliable daily driver (which is has been and continues to be), I have not planned any off-road modifications to it, even though I do take it to mild wheeling trips. I kind of negated that philosophy though, once I installed the supercharger, so who knows what the future will bring.

Here are some pictures of her almost straight off the lot:

http://www.marko3xl3.com/images/uy/622/1.jpg

http://www.marko3xl3.com/images/uy/622/2.jpg

Soon enough, my friend who owns a beastly (exhaust tone wise) Chevy Silverado 1500, with dual Flowmaster 40's got me itching to get an exhaust system of my own. To be honest, I was really against the idea as my truck was still quite new to me and I was afraid an exhaust would ricify the truck's sound. Turns out, my fears were somewhat justified. The 18" Magnaflow exhaust I chose at the Muffler shop gave the truck a pretty gnarly sound around town, which lead to an overall satisfaction of my friends as well as me. The problem though, was a drone that frequently occured in the 2k RPM range and the fact that there was a constant loud sound at highway driving.

I got sick of it within a week and had to do something about it. My muffler guy suggested I should run a 24" straight bullet style resonator (basically a glass pack) to change some properties of the exhaust system and tone it down to where it would be acceptable. Like always, I was weary to keep doing stuff and I probably asked the poor welder more than was healthy for both of us. But, in the end, I decided for the resonator as well and chose to had it installed the "quiet" way (it's reversible).

Turns out, it was a great decision as now, the truck sounds awesome around town and completely lost it's highway drone. Performance wise, the 18" Magnaflow itself increased performance a little (less shifting, more seat in the pants feel) while the resonator decreased it back some which left it still a little better than stock. But honestly, an exhaust itself is never going to add a significant amount of performance. I wish I had done a dyno run before and after just to prove the point, which many others agree on nevertheless.

[[SOUND CLIP]]

[[IMAGES]]

[to be continued]