PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and Rotors easy for a low grade Mechanic!!

hkollie
01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Greetings from a new member...yotatech and T4R.org lurker from 2004 moving to the Ultimate site here!

Just wanted to report for the "oil changer" that doing the brakes on these 4th Gen's is Cake! I am a timid Mechanic, but when the local brake shop quoted $900 for front Rotors and Pads, plus pads on the rear...I got interested in DIY

2003 SE 4WD with 90,000 miles...had the warped rotor wobble...

Bought Mountain Front Rotors from the internet after the Dealer Parts counter sold me the 12.5's instead of the 13.2 's! Kept the Toyota Pads as they are apparently the same.

SAT - 2.5 hours Fronts complete

SUN - Rears - Pads Only Hour!

Braking is now Sweet! :smokin:

troyboy162
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the forums

outstanding! glad to hear everything went off with out a hitch. 900? dang i chose the wrong profession lol. now what mod are you buying with your savings?

as for the forums; i found tr4 to be dead in the off road department. yotatech has its uses but i think you will find the community here quite unique and extremely helpful.

Good Times
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
hkollie welcome aboard! It's been awhile :)

Glad ya found us!

fustercluck
01-05-2009, 07:10 AM
900 dollars for a brake job? Yikes! Glad you found us. Seems I need to charge the formidable Mrs Fuster more $ to service her car...

4x4mike
01-05-2009, 08:30 AM
i think you will find the community here quite unique and extremely helpful.

Funny but true.

hkollie
01-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the Greetings all! Esp Mr Lance/Goodtimes... :wrenchin:

I appreciate your kind assistance everyday I enjoy the look of my well used and slightly lifted 4runner!

As for my MOD - I still need the hanna quality sliders that should be next.

PS - actually have alittle squeak in my Rear Breaks...should a Try a cleaner spray? I used the old anti squeal plates, dunno what gives?

CJM
01-10-2009, 06:09 PM
If the rears squeak, then you can try adding anti squeak spray (are they pads or shoes-ala drum brakes rear?) or using a brake squeak lubricant. Some brakes just squeak and there is nothing you can really do-sometimes wearing them in will stop it.

hkollie
01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Yup - rear discs with slighly smaller pads than the front. Used OEM pads from TOYO stealer...but did not do anything with the Rotors...put new ones on the front... :headscratch:

Did notice that the Rear caliper has only one Lg Piston whereas the Fronts are 4 pistons on each caliper...also connection on rear does not have any Pins, just Bolts.

I will try the spray before I take em apart.