PDA

View Full Version : Timing light

mYnAmEiSmUdD
01-05-2009, 08:15 AM
'ello everybody,

I am in need of a timing light/gun. Was thinking of a craftsman. Reviews on their site for their gun steered me away. (sears did not sell a bulb for it!)

I really know nothing about engine timing. So something simple would be ideal. However i would like the ability to retard or advance timing if needed.

As always, advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Cheers,

fustercluck
01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a Craftsman that my dad gave me. I've had it for 7 years with no issues. I suppose when the bulb burns out, I'll too old to work on cars anymore anyway...

DHC6twinotter
01-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Mine is made by Sun. I've never heard of Sun before, but the timing light I have is probably about 20 years old. I found it in my dad's garage, and he said I could have it. Not sure if it is a good brand or not, or even if the company still exists, but I've had for 5 years and have had no problems with it. It was made in Chicago too. :thumbup:

corax
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of replacing a timing light "bulb" - it's not even really a bulb, but a strobe light soldered onto a circuit board behind a lens. I use one of those fancy chrome Craftsman lights, because, you know, chrome will get you home . . . or something :headscratch:

Anyway, get one with an "advance dial" - the little knob on the backside (some more expensive lights use membrane buttons) that lets you dial in the number you want to check for timing advance - the instructions that come with most timing lights will explain alot when you get it

fustercluck
01-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Instructions!?

http://uk.gizmodo.com/bush-shock.jpg