PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Owners

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Just got one a couple days ago. Only thing I did was add a scope and paint the stock. Can't wait to shoot it. What all have you guys done to yours?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/popsiclestick1/DSC00045.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/popsiclestick1/DSC00046.jpg

fustercluck
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Mine has a stainless barrel and a wood stock. It is also scoped. I never get to use it because the Jr Fusters and their friends monopolize it when we go shooting. It is my most popular gun when shooting in a group.

One day, I'd like to assemble a 10/22 with a heavy barrel, tuned action, an ergonomic stock with a bipod and a nice scope with accessible windage and elevation towers. Lots of priorities ahead of that project though...

oly884
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
3.5-10x Scope, 50mm objective, illuminated reticle
Black Houge Stock
Green Mountain 1:9" twist bull barrel used to shoot the Aguila 60 gr SSS ammo (need faster twist to stabilize the bullet)

As for the GF's:

Same scope
Buttler Creek bull barrel
Black Houge stock

Both rifles have definitely increased in weight, but they are both real tack drivers. I like the 60 grain subsonic ammo, packs a punch and bucks the wind pretty well! I haven't looked into triggers yet because it's a 22lr and I really don't see a need to spend $100+ on a trigger when ammo is <$0.05 per round.

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Post some pics of these monsters

oly884
01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Post some pics of these monsters

I will have to grab pictures when I get home tonight, but I'll be sure to get them for you.

Erich_870
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Nice looking set up you got there! :thumbup:

The only thing I've done to mine is swap out the synthetic stock for a factory birch one. Mine came with the synthetic, but something was wrong with it. You could grab the stock and forearm and move it like it was a brake open shotgun :chair: The birch stock fixed that.

When I was still in school, the wife (then GF) and I would go and shoot squeaks (ground squirrels) all the time, and I was going to upgrade to a bull barrel, change out the stock, glass bed it, free float the barrel, and do all kinds of other upgrades. I held off since we were moving up to Alaska, and it turns out there is nothing to shoot with a .22 in Juneau!! :shake: So in my gun safe it sits unless I'm going to the range.

Shooting squeaks was such a kick in the pants :hillbill:

Erich

reggie 00
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Pretty much stock w/ a cheap scope
There are a couple of little things i need to order.
extended mag release, and that pin that stops the metal on metal contact from the bolt and receiver.

Like the color.

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks. Its the camo tan color spray paint. Nothing special on the paint considering the stock will probably be upgraded.

oly884
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I will say that my 10/22 is my favorite gun in my safe by far. It's accurate, cheap to shoot, the rifle itself is cheap, no recoil, reliable, no hearing protection needed, and can still dispatch a decent amount of animals. Plus, it provides a fun challenge to shoot 300+ yards where as my weatherby makes 300 yards look like a chip shot.

It's a great rifle to teach people to shoot as well, low noise and low recoil make for a fun shooting experience for anyone wishing to learn how to shoot a gun. I have convinced many people that their first firearm purchase should be 22lr rifle OR pistol.

Fuster has the right idea, build yourself a tactical 10/22.

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah I am beginning to think it will be a keeper for sure.

Anyone have any parts for these they dont need?

reggie 00
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I will say that my 10/22 is my favorite gun in my safe by far. It's accurate, cheap to shoot, the rifle itself is cheap, no recoil, reliable, no hearing protection needed, and can still dispatch a decent amount of animals. Plus, it provides a fun challenge to shoot 300+ yards where as my weatherby makes 300 yards look like a chip shot.

It's a great rifle to teach people to shoot as well, low noise and low recoil make for a fun shooting experience for anyone wishing to learn how to shoot a gun. I have convinced many people that their first firearm purchase should be 22lr rifle OR pistol.

X2 great way to learn, relearn,practice the basics.

A tactical one is on my list.
But until then i got a GSG-5 to play with too.

oly884
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah I am beginning to think it will be a keeper for sure.

Anyone have any parts for these they dont need?

I know I have a stock barrel and wood stock (possibly another stock barrel and a synthetic stock). Nothing aftermarket though.

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Id be interested in a synthetic stock.

oly884
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM

X2 great way to learn, relearn,practice the basics.

A tactical one is on my list.
But until then i got a GSG-5 to play with too.

Very nice!

oly884
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Id be interested in a synthetic stock.

Ok, well let me see if I can find it for you. I built my rifle before I last moved, so it is possible that the stock never came with me during the move. However, I'll take a look for you and if I can find it, just need shipping and it's yours.

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Sweet deal. If you find it ill throw a couple extra dollars for the trouble.

oly884
01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Sweet deal. If you find it ill throw a couple extra dollars for the trouble.

Bah, no worries. If I can't find it, would you be interested in the wood stock at all?

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah sure, since I painted this one =)

oly884
01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I'll also say for anyone looking for a fun 10/22 build. Look at the 60 grain Aguila SSS ammo, it's subsonic, but really packs a punch with the extra weight. It's also a pretty weird/cool looking round:

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/aquila.jpg

You'll need a 1:9 twist barrel to stabilize it otherwise it's fairly pointless to shoot the ammo, but when/if you get a barrel like this, it's a real tack driver. I can still shoot hi-vel ammo with no issues as well. The improved sectional density and ballistic coefficient of this ammo really makes for a fun long range 22. While the drop is fairly significant, it still can reach out 250+ yards and carry a punch.

I got my barrel from Green Mountain, but from what I have read, they have stopped making them due to low demand. Volquartsen makes these barrels, but they carry a hefty price.

However, with the performance and accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to build another 10/22 with a 1:9 twist barrel for the 60 grain aguila ammo.

Chapman88SR5
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Sounds good to me! Heres to another expensive hobby!

fustercluck
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Dang Oly, now you're speaking MY language!...

oly884
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Dang Oly, now you're speaking MY language!...

It's all about the right language...

There's nothing like the 1-2 seconds a little varmint is standing there, after you pulled the trigger, when impending doom is literally about to rain down on it where you realize how much fun subsonic ammo really is.

Erich_870
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I'll also say for anyone looking for a fun 10/22 build. Look at the 60 grain Aguila SSS ammo, it's subsonic, but really packs a punch with the extra weight. It's also a pretty weird/cool looking round:

You'll need a 1:9 twist barrel to stabilize it otherwise it's fairly pointless to shoot the ammo, but when/if you get a barrel like this, it's a real tack driver. I can still shoot hi-vel ammo with no issues as well. The improved sectional density and ballistic coefficient of this ammo really makes for a fun long range 22. While the drop is fairly significant, it still can reach out 250+ yards and carry a punch.

I got my barrel from Green Mountain, but from what I have read, they have stopped making them due to low demand. Volquartsen makes these barrels, but they carry a hefty price.

However, with the performance and accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to build another 10/22 with a 1:9 twist barrel for the 60 grain aguila ammo.

I'm confused how a subsonic round with such a large (relatively) bullet can have such good range?

Erich

Bob98SR5
01-06-2009, 09:37 PM
i own a 10/22 too. it has a cheapy bushnell scope on it that made shooting the gun that much more fun. everything else is stock. i do want to upgrade the stock and barrel, but its low on the priority list

oly884
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM

I'm confused how a subsonic round with such a large (relatively) bullet can have such good range?

Erich

Well, it's complicated a bit...

You have two main things to consider. You have the weight of the bullet and how well the bullet flys through the air.

Even though it's subsonic, the extra weight and how well it goes through the air it is more accurate. The "range" isn't really increased, but the accuracy at a longer distance is.

Think about throwing a piece of foam vs throwing a rock. Or think about throwing a ping pong ball vs throwing a golf ball... While you can probably throw the ping pong ball faster, it won't go further because it's so light it looses it's velocity faster.

This bullet also carries more energy down range. Once again, throw a ping pong ball 15 feet, and a golf ball 15 feet, which one has more energy at 15 feet?

Bob98SR5
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
hey david,

regarding replacing the barrel w/ a bull barrel, floating barrel, glass embedding, etc. how much did it cost you?

slosurfer
01-06-2009, 10:16 PM
So, how do you think one of these tactical ones would do when the zombies come? :gunner:

Erich_870
01-06-2009, 11:24 PM
So, how do you think one of these tactical ones would do when the zombies come? :gunner:

I can't speak to zombie attacks, but when squeaks swarm, you need to be able to lay down some serious suppressive fire! :gunner: :gunner:

In all truthfulness, it really keeps things exciting when you have a full clip and multiple targets. :hillbill:

Erich

Scuba
01-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Wish I had money to buy a gun...

:bling:

RunnerUp
01-07-2009, 03:52 AM

just remember, blades dont need reloading

oly884
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Bob, it's not too bad:

Gun: ~$200
Barrel: ~$150 (but they are gone, so you'd be around 250-300 for a Volquartsen)
Scope: ~$100
Stock: $60

So, I spent around $500 total to get it where it is now, but with the barrels being sold out, you're in the 600-700 range to get a 1:9 twist barrel.

Chapman88SR5
01-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I would love to do all of that to mine. However, I see my self wanting something slightly bigger in the future.

oly884
01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Without reiterating much of what I've already said, 22's are some of THE best rifles and pistols a person could own for several reasons.

Price is the big one, what center fire caliber can you get a box of 500 rounds for 15 bucks? With our new president, many are concerned that ammo and gun prices will continue to rise and even the possible ban of certain types of weapons. If that's the case, you won't want to do much 9mm, .40 cal, .308 win shooting when ammo prices increase 100, 200, 500%. You can go buy $100 worth of 22 ammo and get several thousand rounds of 22lr.

Now, I can understand not wanting to invest that much into a 22 rifle, but when you compare costs to other 'tactical' rifles (.223, .308, 300 win mag) it's a deal and a half.

Also, as for 'survival' rifles, a 22lr cannot be beat. A well placed shot with a 22lr can dispatch just about anything aside from BIG game (bears, et al). It can take anything from small animals (without destroying the meat) to deer sized game if need be. Keep in mind that this is 'survival' talk, taking a deer with a 22lr is illegal in most places.

Now, with all that said, there's nothing wrong with going with something bigger, but I will say that no firearm collection is complete without a proper 22lr rifle and pistol. The extent that you want to modify your gun is really up to you, but I like my 'long range' fix, and having the ability to do that without breaking the bank is a big plus.

Chapman88SR5
01-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Oly you may have just changed my mind. I was lookin for a 223 down the road but really, I dont hunt (just target). And cheap ammo is why I got this gun in the first place. Post some pics of yours already!

oly884
01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Oly you may have just changed my mind. I was lookin for a 223 down the road but really, I dont hunt (just target). And cheap ammo is why I got this gun in the first place. Post some pics of yours already!

Sorry, I didn't post pics. Didn't get home till 9 and promptly went to bed with the assistance of hydrocodone.... (see the acromioplasty thread in OT). I'll get pics up tonight for you!

I have a .223 AR-15 and I love it. Great rifle for home defense, and a blast to shoot. I'd highly suggest getting one for several reasons, but that's a whole other topic, haha.

My main point on building up a 10/22 is that no other rifle will offer as much continual fun. I've shot a 50 cal, and I loved every second of it, but going out to the range (if you can find one) with a 50 cal for a day will cost a boat load of money.

Even with a .223, long range shooting will take you out past 500 yards, and finding ranges with that yardage can prove to be difficult not to mention the cost of .223 is rising faster than Ohpra's weight.

Most respectable ranges offer around 200-300 yards for shooting which happens to be great long range shooting for a 22lr. You can hone your breathing skills, trigger pull, and practice using bullet drop and drift tables all day long for less than $20. That way, when it does come time to step into the long range rifle shooting (.308, 300 win mag, 338 lapua, etc) you'll have enough practice that you'll be familiar with long range shooting and everything that goes with it.

All that said, don't skimp out on plans to get other guns, you have a 22lr, and you can always build it up later. I'm just sharing my observations and opinions.

CJM
01-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Bull barrel swap (its soooo easy even a 8 year old can change the barrel at home), decent scope and your ready to rock.

You can get aftermarket mags but most are junk, its been awhile since I had any but my old butler creek ones with steel feed lips worked the best.

Chapman88SR5
01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Well considering this is one of my first guns (other then the 12ga in the other thread) I think I will shoot it in its stock form, then upgrage barrel and stock and pretty much just leave it. It should keep me occupied for awhile!

How are these stocks and barrels from bass?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_80638?cm_mmc=shopping-_-400-4-12-_--1-_-38-897-094-00&hvarAID=46KY&mr:referralID=64bb1663-dce0-11dd-ad8a-000423bb4e79

oly884
01-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Looks fairly decent if you ask me. Never seen one up close, but after all it's a 22, so going for match accuracy isn't exactly needed. That's a pretty solid deal there that would be hard to pass up!

CJM
01-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Looks fairly decent if you ask me. Never seen one up close, but after all it's a 22, so going for match accuracy isn't exactly needed. That's a pretty solid deal there that would be hard to pass up!

x2. price is worth it.

Chapman88SR5
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Thats what I thought. Ill prob go for it.

oly884
01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Excellent! A few other places you can check:

http://www.cabelas.com/ssubcat-1/cat20803.shtml
http://eabco.com/102201.html

oly884
01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
As requested:

Mine is on the left, the GF's is on the right:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/th_DSC_3143DesktopResolution.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/?action=view&current=DSC_3143DesktopResolution.jpg)

Profile of mine:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/th_DSC_3144DesktopResolution.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/?action=view&current=DSC_3144DesktopResolution.jpg)

Chapman88SR5
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Love the all black look! In your album on the pic with all the guns, whats the one on the bottom?

oly884
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Love the all black look! In your album on the pic with all the guns, whats the one on the bottom?

Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. The barrel is 18" so it's legal. That's my backpacking bear gun.

Chapman88SR5
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Looks awesome.

I think I am goin with the stock and barrel combo from BPS so if you dont find that stock dont worry about it.

4x4mike
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Here's some good info from Pirate. I'd love to have one to mod out. The match grade bull barrels can cost 2-3 hundred dollars.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648350

Chapman88SR5
02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Here is my new 10/22. I has an Adams and Bennet bull barrel, trigger work, and an aftermarket stock which is still wood. It came painted black but I didnt like that so I sanded it down and stained it Ebony.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/popsiclestick1/Guns/DSC00143.jpg

RunnerUp
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
(#*$ it, im gonna buy one tomorrow...

lets talk tactical set up here...

walmart has one for 197 (all black), i can get a cheap scope (50-100) for it until i can afford to put a leupold on it.

so... can we sidebar into the diff. barrels/silencers/crazyness for a moment?

CJM
02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Dont put anything better than a weaver on it, its a plinking gun not a national match M14.

Bull barrels arent worth it either unless oyu can find a really cheap on. A friend has an accurized 10/22, w/bull barrel, nice burris scope, and a muzzle break. Funny the one i borrowed from my grandpa (which is like 25 years old) is more accurate period in either of our hands.

Bottom line: enjoy the gun FWIW then upgrade later if you want. One thing I would recommend is a hogue overmolded stock, well worth every penny.

RunnerUp
02-17-2009, 07:01 PM
its funny, i was just getting on again to say that walmart sucks, and they dont know their guns... i just drove 40 minutes one way to pick one up, but they didnt have the synthetic stock one.

CJM
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
That sucks, I wouldnt care what stock it had as I would change to that hogue one I recommended anyways lol..

RunnerUp
02-17-2009, 07:52 PM
interesting point, hadnt really thought about it like that! somedays i need a swift kick in the nuts to get my mind working

CJM
02-17-2009, 08:03 PM
interesting point, hadnt really thought about it like that! somedays i need a swift kick in the nuts to get my mind working

/kick!

RunnerUp
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
haha, thanks

CJM
02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
haha, thanks

Couldnt resist, you left yourself wide open.

RunnerUp
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
so on the way to buy the gun with the wood stock, my gf calls me and reminds me of a date we had so i turn around and head back home... as you can imagine i was pretty pissed about my woman getting between me and firearms, but it turns out there is a reason i love her.

and that reason is the FJ-40 i found for 400$ that im buying tomorrow morning.

ill add to this thread once i sell some parts layin around and can afford to buy it, until then, lets keep talking modification of the 10/22!!

tease!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/runnerup/FJ40/ATT00026.jpg

CJM
02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Sweet truck!

Chapman88SR5
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I would try the gun before you do anything to it. Filing down the trigger is really easy, so dont waste your money on an aftermarket one. if you go to rimfirecentral.com they even have a tactical section. Just dont go too tactical, it is a .22.