PDA

View Full Version : 04 Runner Timing Belt

expatoz
01-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Anyone changed one of these yet. I need to get it done but can't afford to pay labor costs so I'll have to do it myself.

I'm planning on buying

13568-09070 Timing belt
13540-50030 Tensioner
16100-59275-83 Water pump, V8
96761-24019 O-ring for water pump
96761-35035 O-ring for water pump

gasket-in-a-tube
00272-SLLC2 Super Long Life Coolant pink

Not so sure I need

13503-0F010 Idler sub assembly
13505-0F010 Idler sub assembly for tensioner side
(which add up to about $120)

Any thoughts on either the parts or process?

Thanks
Mark

Good Times
01-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Mark,

The only thing I've changed is the belt. I did inspect everything else since I had an easy access to the front end while tubing the engine bay.

Changing the belt was a piece of cake. If you have the service manual it pretty outlines it nicely so you can't go wrong.

expatoz
01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Mark,

The only thing I've changed is the belt. I did inspect everything else since I had an easy access to the front end while tubing the engine bay.

Changing the belt was a piece of cake. If you have the service manual it pretty outlines it nicely so you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the reply Lance. I was told I need a special tool for the crank pulley???? I must admit I haven't pulled out the manuals yet. They're burried somewhere in the garage!

Good Times
01-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Mark,

You talkin about the pulley bolt for the tensioner? I believe that bolt was a 14mm (guessing cuz I don't remember off hand) for the tensioner so the basic hand tools you have should work.

The water pump has 2 bolts on the water inlet housing. The water pump has 5 bolts, 2 stud bolts, a nut and the gasket. I looked at the fsm and it looks like an easy repair job for the water pump.

Hope that helps.

expatoz
01-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Mark,

You talkin about the pulley bolt for the tensioner? I believe that bolt was a 14mm (guessing cuz I don't remember off hand) for the tensioner so the basic hand tools you have should work.

The water pump has 2 bolts on the water inlet housing. The water pump has 5 bolts, 2 stud bolts, a nut and the gasket. I looked at the fsm and it looks like an easy repair job for the water pump.

Hope that helps.

No, I mean the crank pulley. I've heard from two others I need to loosen this.

"The only special tool that I needed was a chain wrench for taking off the crank shaft pulley. This part of the install held me up for a few hours. I was trying to use a spanner wrench which would not work for this application. Just get a chain wrench and be done with it."