PDA

View Full Version : June Lake 2007 (Central California)

Good Times
04-05-2007, 03:35 PM
With the success of last year's trip, we'd like to continue the tradition and host the second annual June Lake event. Though still in the development stages I'd like to get all of your inputs as to when we should hold this event:

I'm proposing a tentative date of August 10-14, 2007 (Friday - Tuesday).

Other possible dates:
July 13-17, 2007
July 20-24, 2007
August 17-21, 2007

These dates were selected to avoid the finals week for some of the local schools as we do have members pursuing higher education.

Some adventures to look forward to:
Hiking w/ a hint of gps scavenger hunt
Mountain Biking
Fishing
Easy/Mild Offroading

slosurfer
04-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I vote August 17-21, because I have all my inlaws coming July 29th-Aug5th. So actually, July 29th would be perfect for me! LOL

Bob98SR5
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
so far, i am fine with all these dates.

for those of you who couldn't or didn't know about this one, the June trip was one of the best organized and most family friendly of the trips i've been and helped organize so far. Now that we know the lay of hte land better, we will make it even better this time around. Anyone remember Paddlenbike's camp spot? I gotta get that next time! And if Mark decides to make this trip, we gotta pitch in and buy his spot for him this year since he donated his spot that we made as our impromptu dining area.

bob

marko3xl3
04-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Sounds like something I'd really wanna go to. But it's really too early to tell.

scottiac
04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
All dates work for me.

(And I'm calling paddlenbike for the camp site #. It's MINE!)

Good Times
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Scott, I'm gonna beat ya too it by taking it first ;)

Once we get a date locked down I'll post up the details on the camp site info as well as reserver an extra spot for the gathering / dining area. The additional spot turned out to be a good place to get everyone together so we'll be accommodating for this again.

slosurfer
04-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I already booked that spot for all of July and August! :flipoff:

Tofer
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
looks like i mgiht be living in sac starting in july... so i'll let you know when it gets closer

Bob98SR5
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
guys, i'll have to revisit the map/notes, but i bleieve we could all do better by reserving bear loop...or all crowd in ken's spot :hillbill: btw, i still remember ken's spot #, so all you beotches wont get it anyways.

pa POW!!!

bob

paddlenbike
04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
August works best for me but only if I get my old campsite back! :chair:

Robinhood4x4
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Keep in mind the campsites with the best views of the lake gets the most wind. We were lucky that there wasn't much wind last time, but it can get howling. I've seen tents go flying across the fields before.

Personally, I think lance's spot is ideal with the big trees. That's the one I was shooting for last year, but missed.

scottiac
04-17-2007, 11:10 PM
I can not do the 10-14th of August. Grrrr.

Any of the other alternates work for me.

Let's try and lock something down sooner rather than later so I can plan around it, or start moping, as appropriate! :headscratch:

Seanz0rz
04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
give me a date, and ill see if i can make it, no sense planning around me, and its always up in the air whether or not i can go. looks interesting though, hopefully ill get to go!!!

paddlenbike
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
So should we tenatively plan for Aug 17-21? None of us seem to be busy that weekend.

scottiac
04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I like Aug 17-21. And sadly, I need to lock it down pretty quick... Summer's filling fast.

Is there anyone who can NOT make that who could make one of the other dates?

Seanz0rz
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
works for me. its all up in the air for me, but that date works as of today.

salad_man
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I have never been to June lake, but it does sound cool. It is up in the Mammoth are right, above Bishop? Do they allow Scuba diving there, if so I would deffinitly wanna go, he he. Any dates work, as long as I have enough time to take off from work, so planned earlier the better.

Robinhood4x4
04-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Scuba diving? Not sure. It's not the usual thing you go do there. I'd imagine it's not against any rules or anything, but you'd look like a fish out of water. :rofl:

I'll be here all night folks...Try the trout...

Bob98SR5
04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
hell, bring your scuba gear! who cares what people say, esp. steve! :hillbill:

there are a few lakes there, but the one the campsite is on is pretty big. yes, you will look out of place, but i have seen stranger things in life.

like last year, the focus won't be solely on off roading. the intent was to pick a good place that had many types of activities available and good scenery. we had the fortune (thanks to Expat) of using 1 campsite as the meeting spot for food and gathering. we'll do that again too. Mark: you get a free camp spot this year ;)

the date works for me too. i dont plan that far in advance anyways :D

anyone else into fishing?

bob

salad_man
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Alright, well i'll think about the Scuba thing, ha ha. As for fishing, ya I was a big fan until I got into Scuba, but if thats whats the norm up there than ya i'll bring the gear. Whats with the reservations now, how do I reserve a spot? Any specifics I should look into either or what?

salad_man
04-20-2007, 04:11 PM
So should we tenatively plan for Aug 17-21? None of us seem to be busy that weekend.

Are we gonna be planning for Aug. 17-21 just to make sure?

Good Times
04-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm scheduled to be in the area Sunday and will try to get intel on the possible sites for everyone. This all will depend on my status on the current trip I'm on so I'll report back Monday on a confirmed date for this trip.

Thanks!

Robinhood4x4
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
That campground might still be closed for the season. If it's going to be out of your way then you might want to call first. You can always walk in though.

Bob98SR5
04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
salad man,

wait til we officially post it in the calendar :)

lance:

dude, thanks for doing that. if you have time, could you write down the best site #s down? i believe bear is the closest one to the lake. most of us stayed in squirrel loop which was fine, but not as close as the so-called expert that i talked to said it was

bob

Seanz0rz
04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
im not a fisher, have no interest. but ill wheel and hang out with you guys up there, just no brokeback mountain tomfoolery.

i just need to get away for a while!!!

how does this coincide with big bear trip?

Bob98SR5
04-20-2007, 11:09 PM
im not a fisher, have no interest. but ill wheel and hang out with you guys up there, just no brokeback mountain tomfoolery.

dont worry about the brokeback thing, robinhood moved to AZ and won't be making this one :hillbill:

re fishing: well, there's a lot more than just fishing. of course, there is off roading, but also, mammoth is just down the road and there's some awesome mtn biking trails in the area. also, you can hike as well. for the kiddies, there's some kid attractions (not sure what) and there's shopping in the town of mammoth for those of you who dont enjoy the outdoors so much :)

as always, we have a potluck night---to me, the best part of the trip as everyone is sharing food and good conversation. last year, i caught my first trout and grilled that sucker up and shared it w/ everyone. not sure if nayone ate it besides me, but it was my small contribution :)

bob

Good Times
04-20-2007, 11:11 PM
thanks for the heads up steve. i was planning to walk around and take photos of each area so people can get an idea of the view etc instead of going w/ the lame description from the web. driving thru would be great but if i can't no biggie.

Robinhood4x4
04-20-2007, 11:35 PM
I found a good map of the campground.

Ken was in Duck and Lance, Bob and I were in squirrel.

http://www.robinhood4x4.com/UY/Temp/ohridge.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/junelakejam/oh_ridge.jpg

joel
05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd love to make this trip, but it sounds like the date you guys are leaning towards will be too close to Burning Man for me..

Seanz0rz
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
so i take it goodtimes isnt going to make this one in his own rig?

Good Times
05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Dates and campground has been set! Check this link... http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1270.0

Aug 18-21, 2007!