PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get gears from

Scooter25
01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
So I've been doing tons of searching and reading and know what I want to get (5.29 preferably Yukon or maybe Precision). What I'm having trouble with now is finding a reputable vendor that has everything I need. I can find everything from multiple vendors but would prefer to use just one. What are some recommendations.

wyorunner
01-27-2009, 07:41 AM
eastcoastgearsupply.com, i havnt bought mine yet but thats who im getting them from. the owner is very knowledgable, friendly and quick responding. he is also going to be doing the install. he has the best price i have been able to find, it hasnt been beat yet. he sells yukon and precision.

-wyo

Cebby
01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I bought the 5.29 Yukons for my 4Runner from Randy's. Good service and price was right (they were having a sale)

troyboy162
01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
the shop i got my gears installed from recommened againt the persicion gears saying his distributers were no longer carrying them due to issues. i have no idea if that was BS or not but he recomended yukon and didnt care if i bought them myself for him to install. so i ended up with randys ring and pinion as well.

theres also lots of stuff on the internet about yukon being a randys in house brand and nothing more then reboxed gears from other manufactures. i have no clue if thats all rumors, or outdated facts, or the truth...just putting it out there so your aware.

the yukon install kits come with timken (spelling?) bearings. sopposedly a step up from stock bearings but again i have no clue other then they cost considerably more. other install kits may have these as well.

with yukon gears and yukon full install kits i was at $1100 with randys ring and pinion :(

CJM
01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Randys ring and pinion is the biggest, most well known imho.

Timken are usually a step above stock or close to it.

NC994Run
01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Another vote for East Coast Gear Supply. A lot cheaper than Randy's and Chase (Owner) knows his Yota stuff and set up my 4.88's/ front ARB

Scooter25
01-27-2009, 08:55 PM
theres also lots of stuff on the internet about yukon being a randys in house brand and nothing more then reboxed gears from other manufactures. i have no clue if thats all rumors, or outdated facts, or the truth...just putting it out there so your aware.

I seemed to come across this during my search quite a few times. In most cases I saw people said they were repackaged Precision Gears. I didn't really here anything bad about Precision so I ended up ordering front and rear w/master install kits shipped for $830 from East Coast. Now time to find the right place to install.

troyboy162
01-27-2009, 09:08 PM

I seemed to come across this during my search quite a few times. In most cases I saw people said they were repackaged Precision Gears. I didn't really here anything bad about Precision so I ended up ordering front and rear w/master install kits shipped for $830 from East Coast. Now time to find the right place to install.

nice! your pretty good with the mechanical end of wheeling. it sounds like if you can take your thirds out ad drop them off to a guy, you can save alot of money. whats your rpm gonna be like on the interstate?

Scooter25
01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I've considered taking out my thirds, but I'm sort of on overload with both having time and my brain (escrow is a B***h), so I'll probably just spend a little more and not need to think about it. Right now @ 65 I'm reving around 2100. I'm thinking I should be around high 2k. Still just highwayable with a nice low for wheeling. Also if I ever opt fo 35s i'll be O.k.

Cheese
01-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Get gears, or better yet get complete thirds, from a place that is close and will stand behind the work.

There is a finite number of gear houses in the world. Most gears are made at a couple places and then tagged as this and that.

I have a Precision front and a Randy's rear that was a turd and a half to get a decent pattern out of after taking teeth off a set of Precisions.

Please don't look only at the bottom line, if there are problems, a place that is still around and willing to work with you makes problems a lot smaller.

I have Toyota bearings because I was working at a Toyota shop when I was doing gears.

Scooter25
01-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Get gears, or better yet get complete thirds, from a place that is close and will stand behind the work.

I'll be calling a local shop that specializes in custom crawlers and buggys in the morning to find out who they recommend for setting up gears. When It comes down to it I do feel that proper setup is really the most important part.

Good Times
01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
If you need a place to install gears, there's a really great shop I highly recommend:

Four X Doctor
Burbank, CA
http://www.fourxdoctor.com/

I'm sure they can also get the gears too (not sure). The guys there are a bunch of gear heads so you're in good hands.

Cheese
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Proper set up and break in by a shop that knows Toyota diffs.

Good luck and stay local.