PDA

View Full Version : Performing the Zero Point Calibration of Yaw Rate and Deceleration Sensors

Good Times
01-27-2009, 12:18 AM
If your VSC enabled vehicle experiences the VSC linght "ON" condition chances are you may have a damaged sensor, line or ecu. Determine the damaged component and replace if necessary. Once the component is replaced or repaired, a zero point calibration of the yaw rate and deceleration sensors must be performed.

If the computer is not recalibrated this will cause your vehicle to become unstable and difficult to drive. This computer controls directly controls your throttling and braking controls so please make sure to perform this calibration test asap.

Please refer to the attached Toyota Technical Service Bulletin #BR005-03 document for the detailed directions.

For the rest of the lazy folks, here's a quick 1-2-3 write up (with no photos - really redundant since it's really simple). It sounds a bit scary knowing that you will need to short 2 pins but other than that, it's really an easy test to perform.

*** Note: Please make sure your vehicle is on a level ground and ensure that you do not tilt or move the vehicle while the calibration test is performed. (you can imagine what it can do to your baseline numbers!)

1. Ensure the shift level is in the "P" range. (i.e. parked)
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position. (basically one turn before you crank the motor)
3. Locate your OBD II plug port. This is located under your steering and will look like a trapezoidal male plug. Sometimes it will be covered by a black plastic piece so make sure to pop this off.
4. The OBD II plug is a 16 pin plug which starts with 16-9 (top smaller trapezoid side - left to right) and 8-1 (bottom base trapezoid - left to right). Refer to pdf document for an image.
5. Using a 12~16ga wire, you will need to short (i.e. connect) two pins from the OBD II plug in a specific sequence (refer to #6)
#14 (top - 3rd one from the left on the smaller side of the trapezoid) and #4 (bottom - 4th one from the right on the base/bigger side of the trapezoid)
6. Short pin #4 and pin #14 a minimum of 4 times within 8 seconds.
7. Verify that the VSC indicator light is lit indicating the recorded zero point is erased.
8. Turn the ignition switch "OFF".
9. Disconnect the short.
10. Turn the ignition switch "ON".
11. Check that the VSC warning light goes off about 15 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON.
12. After ensuring that the VSC warning light remains "OFF" for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch "OFF".
13. Connect pin #4 and pin #14.
14. Turn the ignition switch "ON".
15. After turning the ignition switch to "ON", check that the VSC warning light is lit for about 4 seconds and then starts quickly blinking repetitively (i.e. super fast blinking!)
16. After ensuring the blinking of the VSC warning light for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch "FF".
17. Remove the short.
18. Drive the vehicle to confirm everything is working.

CJ3Flyr
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
:thumbup: Thanks! I have seen/read/done the procedure. Your step-by-step write up was great. I copy/pasted and saved it. At some point I will use it agin I'm sure...

Good Times
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Hopefully you won't have to use it ever!

And if you do, just follow the instructions... something I don't know how to do cuz it literally took me 3 tries before it worked... :loser: