PDA

View Full Version : Full blown expedition rack for a 3rd gen, ideas and pics inside

neliconcept
04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Right now I have a load warrior yakima rack, however mounting lights to the front is a task so usually the lights to to the top which looks a little ugly and creates height and wind issues. I also think it sits a little tall with the incorporation of the crossbars. I have been looking at the land rover discovery expo racks for ideas

http://www.myrovers.com/Photos/2001%20DII/3-12-2006/slides/P3112349.JPG

this is what im shooting for which will attach the rack at the rain gutters of my runner.

this is what my runner looks like and how much metal im about to have put on top

http://a427.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/l_bc9ea297024760f31775b972a570d812.jpg

I welcome all opinions on whether I should do this later on or shoot this idea while its flying in the sky.

Also I wont be using square tubing, more of the round tubing that you see made from the load warrioer but a little bit bigger in diameter and smaller in diameter in sections.

Good Times
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I've got some links for ya regarding roof racks. Let me see if I can create a thread for ya. Should be interesting :)

neliconcept
04-06-2007, 03:22 PM
sounds good Lance, sorry if this thread was worthless

Good Times
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
not worthless at all! it's more like thanks for reminding me some of the other links I have bookmarked I need to post :)

There's quite a few options out there btw and w/o going into great details, you'll want to reuse your rails as they have hidden screws that you can use and go from there. most all of the hardcore expedition racks will require some custom work but I think in the long run that'll be a better option for ya as I don't think the yakima/thule will be good enough for the hardcore expedition stuff.

neliconcept
04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
ahh the screws that hold the tracks on? interesting idea, I thought about that and plus the gutters might be worth to use as well

neliconcept
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
as soon as I can ill take pics 360 around my 4runner and do an illustration of what this will end up like in Adobe illustrator. just find the materials and bending is the hard part

AxleIke
04-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I have a question, and it is strictly a curiosity thing, so please don't take it as I'm trying to be a dick.

But i want to know why?

I have a rack, not quite as big as you're looking at, but big enough. It sucks driving on road with it. It's loud, and heavy, and has a bunch of drag.

My question sort of centers around the fact that i can put 10 days worth of supplies + gear into my 4runner without a problem, as long as i can remove the rear seats, which takes about 20 minutes. Since i almost never go out for that length of time, its not a big deal, but i'm just wondering why you'd put all that stuff on top?

In addition, you've been talking elsewhere about an expedition trailer, which, IMHO is a much better way to go out if you feel you won't have enough room, plus you can mount a propane system, a water system, and any number of custom things you want.

For a roof rack, you have to get a bunch of waterproof storage bins and bags, and you still don't have the full use you get out of a trailer.

Anyway, I'd like to emphasize that i'm not ragging on your ideas, and i think that, as far as roof racks go, you're looking at building a pretty cool one. I just think roofracks aren't very usefull, not to mention ugly. Just wanted to see why you felt you couldn't get your gear into your 4runner.

neliconcept
04-07-2007, 01:19 PM
No offense taken. Its really one or the other when it comes to a trailer or a rack for the use of an overland/overcamp or eezi awn cartop tent. Also It would be easier to mount a set of lights on, throw various other blitz cans on top also recovery gear and what not. The main thing would be that Id like to keep the seats up as I may take others with me. mountain bikes, snowboards as well. When I pack, I never pack light it seems and it would just be something more for me to work on. I also was planning on building a sleeping platform in the rear when I dont have money for a cartop tent to use as a camping area. that would eliminate a lot of space right there for a mattress.

Basically Im just throwing ideas around and havent really figured out how I will go about completing them.

slosurfer
04-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I use my rack all the time. Even when I use my trailer, I still use the rack. I also am carrying a wife, a kid, and a dog for most trips. I also like being able to store everything that is inside below the window line so that I don't lose any visibility. If I was more energetic, I could take mine off when I am not using it, but especially since it doesn't get driven daily like it used to, I just leave it on.

Blake, if you end up having one made, you may want to consider the length and width of the trailer, because you could always mount the rack on top of the trailer once you get one. Once mine gets a top, I may move the basket to the trailer.

neliconcept
04-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Once I figure out the design of the rack, instead of switching the rack in between my runner and the trailer, I may just use my load warrior rack I have now for the trailer later and have this custom rack flow with the contours of the runner.

Im gonna play with some images I took of the truck today in illustrator to get a gasp of what im thinkin in my head

surf4runner
04-12-2007, 01:12 PM
ahh the screws that hold the tracks on? interesting idea, I thought about that and plus the gutters might be worth to use as well

they are very handy if you are creative enough :D

salad_man
04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I built a custom bed rack for my truck and then mounted a load warrior on that. I am pleased with the load warrior for now, but have also been throwing around ideas as to build one of my own. Ill get some more pictures of it and show you guys.

cootees
04-21-2007, 02:10 PM
How about something like the INTI rack? It's the ultimate basket as far as I am concerned.

http://lacabra4x4.com/img/gallery//5a.jpg

http://lacabra4x4.com/img/gallery//4a.jpg

slosurfer
04-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I think one of the problems that you will run into, is that unlike the Disco and the LandCruiser, the 4runner doesn't have a rain gutter. Those INTI racks are awesome!

neliconcept
04-23-2007, 08:34 PM
hmm yeah i forgot we dont have rain gutters.
im still playing with the idea for now. I did have a design but i guess it wouldnt work with the runner.

slosurfer
04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Still play with the design, you may just have to drill some holes in your roof. Who knows, maybe you will come up with the new best thing. Or maybe one that uses the factory mounts and then the front uses something like I have on mine that hooks inside the door frame.

neliconcept
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
ive been wanting to draw it up in illustrator, I have a loooot of freetime tomorrow so ill try to make that one of my plans and get a drawing put up with the 4runner in it. I took some pictures already with my rack off to get this underway.

front window sill hooks is an idea. or even putting some front tracks on is another thing I was thinkin about. Im gonna buy this 2000 sport edition without a sunroof anyways as I wouldnt use one and this rack will come to the front most likely.

xcmountain80
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
How about something like the INTI rack? It's the ultimate basket as far as I am concerned.

http://lacabra4x4.com/img/gallery//5a.jpg

http://lacabra4x4.com/img/gallery//4a.jpg

I love this idea and this rack but heres the thing, on the 3rd's you have only a few ways to attach. What I have been after is the flat part of a LR disco rack, that way I could bolt it to my yakima (3) crossbars. The inuit would work given it came without feet and I coud bolt it on. Neliconcept give me a shout if you want I have thought this through before just not executed anything. Also I need the rear to be ope so my roof tent can open.

Aaron

xcmountain80
05-01-2007, 05:13 AM
So

ive been wanting to draw it up in illustrator, I have a loooot of freetime tomorrow so ill try to make that one of my plans and get a drawing put up with the 4runner in it. I took some pictures already with my rack off to get this underway.

front window sill hooks is an idea. or even putting some front tracks on is another thing I was thinkin about. Im gonna buy this 2000 sport edition without a sunroof anyways as I wouldnt use one and this rack will come to the front most likely.
when are you going to draw this up? Im waiting to see what you think we can do for a safari type roof rack.

xcmountain80
05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Just thought of something. We could use a ARB FJ roof rack. From what I can tell they are completely flat, though my concern will be with width for my roof tent. I will also have to cut the rear out so that I can open my roof tent. Allprooffroad has them ARB Roof Rack Large (87"x44") So I would need to cut the rails off the back half there fore utilizes the front half for storage light weight crap mostly, unless I use some Yakima Q towers and clip them inside the rear pass. doors.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Found%20Stuff/ARBFJCruiserSmall.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Found%20Stuff/2006-12-20arbfjcruiserroofrack.jpg
With a base cost of $600 and the quality we expect from ARB this might be a sensible solution, though the LaCabra type roof rack would be nice too. I would have to cut it to.

Aaron

turboale
05-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Another Cruiser... but a good setup.
http://www.expeditioncure.com/VehicleBrowser/index.html

Do they make QTowers for the front of 3rd gens like they do for 2nd gens? I would assume that they do for use on Tacos but you would just have to have 3 cross towers and build a basket that fit over the three cross bars. That is what I was going to do on the Excursion had I kept it. I have a couple other projects that I'm going to tackle on the 4R before making a custom basket but its on the list... The LoadWorrior is WAY too high, my setup is going to be all about low profile. Not only to keep the weight low but also to clear under trees.

xcmountain80
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Well currently I have 3 yakima whatever fits the factory rack with 3 crossbars. That is sufficient to distribute the weight of the tent.

Aaron

neliconcept
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
sorry havent seen this thread in a while, I just got done with exams and have been stressin about that, I'll draw it up soon, just uploaded the pictures of my runner and bare roof.

neliconcept
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I have one side drawing done

working on the front now.

i think some fixes can be done to the side

neliconcept
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
alright here they are

tell me what you think guys

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2130/frontxu3.jpg

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9864/racksidebg5.jpg

Ric
05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
looks good IMO... but it will have to be a little shorter to allow the hatch to open, and im sure you aint gonna mount it to the top of the doors ?looks better than i thought it would :thumbup:

neliconcept
05-03-2007, 10:19 PM
yeah as i finished the side i saw that it was a little too far back, and the side drawing is a little off, its actually slanting up compared to the roof, i hit shift when drawing the line and it drew it at a 0 degree angle however the picture of the 4runner is actually slanted down a tiny hair. it would look great in person but still iffy on how to build it.

Bob98SR5
05-27-2007, 03:12 PM
neli,

realistically, only one crossbar (near the front passenger area) is all that you'd need if you used the stock rails. in total, you'd have three, I tried this idea with a spare set of thule feet and cross bars with my cargo box and it works fine. totally overkill for a cargo box, though.

bob

Cebby
05-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I like the concept, but I think there is too much tube work. I have a gazillion sketches around for 2nd Gen racks I've been working on, but nothing for the 3rd Gen.

Ideally, a flat floor for the rack is ideal, but with the gently sloping lines of the 4Runner roof, it will either look too high in the front or too high in the back. To combat this, I'd consider making two main rails that run the length of the roof that have the same arc as the roof. Someone with a "Ring Roller" can make these rails for you. You can mount this at the two existing factory mounts on each side + one up front. You can make a mounting plate that contours to the 4Runner body and make a corresponding backing plate - sandwich with some 1/8+ rubber gasket material and you'll have a nice leak free mounting point. So, with th 4 factory mounts, + your new 2, it would be suspended from 6 points on the body. It may be wise to make all 6 mounting plates a bit oversized with backing plates to up the load capacity.

These two rails would need to be tied together in the front and the back obviously - the front and potentially the rear support tie bars between the rails could easily be assemblies for lighting and double as supports. The link Turboale posted has some nice details on the lighting support assembly on the rack.

From this, I'd "hang" the roof rack floor - give it a little clearance between the roof and the rack floor, but not much.

In the front, to combat the drag and noise of having a rack with lights up there, I'd consider a clear fairing in front of the lights and rack. You could even back-mask part of it with black or silver paint, leaving "cutouts" for the light to shine through.

I'll try to whip up a sketch if you are interested.

reggie 00
05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I like the concept, but I think there is too much tube work. I have a gazillion sketches around for 2nd Gen racks I've been working on, but nothing for the 3rd Gen.

Ideally, a flat floor for the rack is ideal, but with the gently sloping lines of the 4Runner roof, it will either look too high in the front or too high in the back. To combat this, I'd consider making two main rails that run the length of the roof that have the same arc as the roof. Someone with a "Ring Roller" can make these rails for you. You can mount this at the two existing factory mounts on each side + one up front. You can make a mounting plate that contours to the 4Runner body and make a corresponding backing plate - sandwich with some 1/8+ rubber gasket material and you'll have a nice leak free mounting point. So, with th 4 factory mounts, + your new 2, it would be suspended from 6 points on the body. It may be wise to make all 6 mounting plates a bit oversized with backing plates to up the load capacity.

These two rails would need to be tied together in the front and the back obviously - the front and potentially the rear support tie bars between the rails could easily be assemblies for lighting and double as supports. The link Turboale posted has some nice details on the lighting support assembly on the rack.

From this, I'd "hang" the roof rack floor - give it a little clearance between the roof and the rack floor, but not much.

In the front, to combat the drag and noise of having a rack with lights up there, I'd consider a clear fairing in front of the lights and rack. You could even back-mask part of it with black or silver paint, leaving "cutouts" for the light to shine through.

I am very interested.

After the sliders (hopefully tomorrow)
I want to start on either the Trailer idea using the bed off of the 83.
or the roof rack, which i am going to have to make up the whole thing as my 90 doesnt have a factory one to go off. Will also be doing the 1st Gen roll bar (getting tomorrow) since i will have to take out the head liner so don't want to do that after thats in.

Any and all ideas will be more than welcome.

Bob98SR5
05-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I think one of the problems that you will run into, is that unlike the Disco and the LandCruiser, the 4runner doesn't have a rain gutter. Those INTI racks are awesome!

Thule does make feet pads that hook onto the top part of the door sill. it is way rock solid, even more so than the track feet. that would be the only way for you to mount that long arse basket idea you are talking about

bob

neliconcept
05-28-2007, 08:29 AM

cebby, like the idea of the fairing, so basically youd mask off the light circles and just paint the rest to give it that sort of appearance? if you feel like sketching it up let me know. I have these pics without the rack on it if you wanna use my truck as an example.

Cebby
05-28-2007, 09:04 AM
If you could post up your pics w/o the rack, that would be cool. If you have an overhead shot, that would help to (maybe taken from a step ladder?)

neliconcept
05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
i get on those pronto. gotta upload what current pics i have of an outing just this last weekend.

shookdt
06-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Like somebody said before, the yakima and thule door sill mounts/feet do work up front. I have one bar attached from the front two doors, and another bar coming from the back two doors. super strong! gives a total of 4 bars (counting the stock two). The fairing fits well up front right at the edge of the front window line....now I have this idea of having collapsable light bar (like on baja trucks) to go behind the faring attached to the front bar, therefore you don't have that look all the time and the negative wind resistance. also, with the four crossbars you can now attach a solid floor straight to them and I have been looking for some of those sand-ladder things which would work for both the floor, and their actual use of getting you unstuck when in nasty sand or crossing a crevace or something.
Just a few ideas

xcmountain80
07-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Like somebody said before, the yakima and thule door sill mounts/feet do work up front. I have one bar attached from the front two doors, and another bar coming from the back two doors. super strong! gives a total of 4 bars (counting the stock two). The fairing fits well up front right at the edge of the front window line....now I have this idea of having collapsable light bar (like on baja trucks) to go behind the faring attached to the front bar, therefore you don't have that look all the time and the negative wind resistance. also, with the four crossbars you can now attach a solid floor straight to them and I have been looking for some of those sand-ladder things which would work for both the floor, and their actual use of getting you unstuck when in nasty sand or crossing a crevace or something.
Just a few ideas

I was looking for a similar setup and was ready to build it just backed off. I wanted a setup like on the Ultimate Tacoma, which utilizes a 12v actuator that lifts and lowers which run about $50, then from there build your light bar which could be pretty cool. I ruled it out for some reason or another.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/2004ultimateadventure/ultimate_taco/131_0412_taco/index.html

Aaron

neliconcept
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
bringing this thread back, because my load warrior pissed me off at canyonlands, it nearly slid all the way off the crossbars, then when at a snowrun on sunday, my crossbar ate a tree in a very tight spot.

im gonna do some sketches on paper and upload them to the computer via my scanner. these will be realllly detailed and will do them today.

also im gonna shorten the rack length as I may be buying Scott Bradys light rack he has on his tacoma.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/tacoma/final_shoot/Expeditions_West_Tacoma_Final-01.JPG the light bar up there, bolts into the body and whatever. but i may end up attaching it to the rack somehow.

going to go with a flat bottom sheet of metal with perferated holes for tie down points and drill holes for jerry can holder mounts.

this summer will more then likely be the time frame for this to be built, or ill have a custom shop build it for me, either way its getting done and thats that!!

neliconcept
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
dimensions of rack
56Lx44Wx5H. it will be 5H all the way around, the back will have extra railing on top to make it 7H, their will be 1 inch mounts to keep it super low profile, i may have to up the mounts due to the slope of the roof but we will see once the rack itself is built.

the lightbar that Scott has will be mounted to the front of the rack. also their will be three mounting places, 2 on the crossbars drilled in, and one at the front on each side, 6 towers total to keep the rack secure.

if I have to I can add another set of mounts to make it 8 total, but I think 6 should suffice for only 56" in lenght total.

neliconcept
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/329/imgge1.jpg

neliconcept
11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
going to be doing some better drawings tonight, may go take a picture of the truck here in a couple too, if not tomorrow.

I need to learn how to draw perspective again with the stupid 2 point p crap.

ill get a better drawing done, you can count on it, and i think this may be what I ask for for xmas, going to call some shops tomorrow to get an estimate,

btw i dont know if i said this but im using flat steel sheet on bottom, maybe aluminum, whatever is cheaper and lighter, and im going to use a hole saw of about 2" and dill holes to cut down on weight and for holding points, then im going to get some of those shackle hangers that Aaron had on his TJM that was bolted on, and ill bolt those in in places as well.

going to get some jerry can holders and weld them in or bolt them in.

if yall have any ideas, shoot them over. sorry for the multiple post

reggie 00
11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
going to be doing some better drawings tonight, may go take a picture of the truck here in a couple too, if not tomorrow.

ill get a better drawing done, you can count on it, and i think this may be what I ask for for xmas, going to call some shops tomorrow to get an estimate,

btw i dont know if i said this but im using flat steel sheet on bottom, maybe aluminum, whatever is cheaper and lighter, and im going to use a hole saw of about 2" and dill holes to cut down on weight and for holding points, then im going to get some of those shackle hangers that Aaron had on his TJM that was bolted on, and ill bolt those in in places as well.

When you cut your holes out flare them for strength. Examples in sept/oct 4wd Toyota owner pg 22.
If you dont have i will scan it at work and email it to you.

Cebby
11-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Yummmmm, flared holes.....

neliconcept
11-28-2007, 08:26 PM

When you cut your holes out flare them for strength. Examples in sept/oct 4wd Toyota owner pg 22.
If you dont have i will scan it at work and email it to you.

yeah they lost that issue in the mail for me so i dont have it, def send those, i think that would def be the key, i want to make this as strong as possible.

Good Times
11-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Not sure if you looked into this but how about the african outback roof rack?

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/images/productimages/africanoutback/discoIIrackProdShot.jpg

I was originally considering this as you can bolt it on to your factory rails (with some minimal modifications). It can be done... just not sure if that's what you're looking for. It's just a bit $$ for me to want to spending that kind of dough on it :)

garrett
11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.wildyoats.com/the_j-rack.htm

neliconcept
11-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Not sure if you looked into this but how about the african outback roof rack?

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/images/productimages/africanoutback/discoIIrackProdShot.jpg

I was originally considering this as you can bolt it on to your factory rails (with some minimal modifications). It can be done... just not sure if that's what you're looking for. It's just a bit $$ for me to want to spending that kind of dough on it :)

yeah i saw it in person at slees shop, however its too wide for my 4runner, and the only one i think that could be used would be a rack from a gwagon or defender 110.

i plan to use the same flat based design, but im going to have full rails then another set of halfrails ont he back, with the light cage up front.

ttora4runner
11-29-2007, 08:11 PM
How this this, just needs some cutting and grinding to make it fit.

http://www.gobiracks.com/Toyota/4runner.htm

Good luck with what you decide to do.

More:

http://www.safaritrailers.com/index.cfm?action=catalog&catID=9
http://www.roverworld.com/hannibal_roof_racks_english.htm
http://www.garvin-industries.com/roof_sport_rack.html

Would this work:
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/484986101.html

neliconcept
11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
hmm that gobi is nice, and i could add some tubing.

any idea on cost?

ttora4runner
11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
hmm that gobi is nice, and i could add some tubing.

any idea on cost?

No, I went though their site and did see any price. I did do a search on ebaymotors and roof rack for the fj is selling for around 1600 :confused: :chair:. So I would guess that the one on the 4runner is around the same price.

neliconcept
11-29-2007, 09:11 PM
the local metal shop quoted me less then 800, so ill pass, and ill have one built for less and on my own design, 1600? thats kinda insane imo for wire mesh bottom and minimal railing.

AxleIke
11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Build your own. Mine is lightweight wood, and holds well into the 300's. I use it on most of my trips to UT back country. It really gets you what you want, and you don't have to compromise on things, you can just make it how you want.

My only suggestion is incorporating a removable "box" shaped section the same size as your gas cans or jugs. Seal it with silicone. That way, you have less chance of seepage onto your roof. I've gotten seepage on my hardtop, and it sucks.

Good luck with the build up.

neliconcept
11-29-2007, 09:44 PM
yeah my water cans leaked on me at canyonlands at the little plug hole :/. i also want to make some sort of blitz can base that bolts into the rack for two cans and the water containers as well, that would solve issues and i would use a leather strap to hold them into the container, but that would be later down the road.

i do like the gobi rack, i think i may copy some of its design and use of material.

not going to go as long though

AxleIke
11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
My other recomendation is rafting bags.

I've got them, and they are the greatest thing ever. You can get all of your clothes, and "smush" gear up on the roof, and it stays high and dry. That way, more room in the cabin for the important stuff...You know, like beer.

neliconcept
11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
My other recomendation is rafting bags.

I've got them, and they are the greatest thing ever. You can get all of your clothes, and "smush" gear up on the roof, and it stays high and dry. That way, more room in the cabin for the important stuff...You know, like beer.

oh def good idea, I prob should have had that for the utah trip, and im sure it packs down to create less wind resistance.

ttora4runner
11-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Ya, those prices are a bit high :bangdesk: for the gobi racks and you could definitely build one for cheaper.

neliconcept
11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Ya, those prices are a bit high :bangdesk: for the gobi racks and you could definitely build one for cheaper.

but thanks for the link, that rack is definitely what I was looking to design but couldnt quite come up with it. now i have something to go off of, but going to add some half rails on the back and bring the front up just a bit for bigger hella 4000 rally lights.

neliconcept
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
talked to MTO suspension where a good friend of mine Greg Neff works, quoted me around 500-600 for a full rack with the mesh flooring to it. with light tabs for 6-8" lights.

I think this will end up being done for janurary.

xcmountain80
02-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I opted for the Hannibal Safari rack for a Jeep Cherokee. Yes it's wide but so is the roof tent that goes into it.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235165.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235162.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235160.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235161.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235152.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235153.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235154.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P1235155.jpg

Aaron

ttora4runner
03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Blake how is roof rack coming along??

I stumbled across this one, might actually pick it up for my 4runner.

http://www.conferr.com/racks.asp?category=1&year=1996&make=Toyota&model=4%20Runner&rack=1

neliconcept
03-08-2008, 07:24 PM
getting a new job so i have been laying off mods for a little

neliconcept
03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Blake how is roof rack coming along??

I stumbled across this one, might actually pick it up for my 4runner.

http://www.conferr.com/racks.asp?category=1&year=1996&make=Toyota&model=4%20Runner&rack=1

after looking at this option, its the best, i just saw the light cage and thats exactly what i want on top of my truck, but im going to go with a 3'x5' square light on the sides and rear, probably around 8 with 4 rounds on the front with cage.

neliconcept
03-29-2008, 07:48 PM
theirs this light cage, its too damn big, basically i want something similar designed for my rack

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/PC/trucks/RedAddiction_3_4_v2.jpg

but i only need to fit the IPF 900XSS lights,

then their is the ARB 4runner with this light cage (which arb doesnt sell that I know of)

http://images.off-roadweb.com/features/0610or_06_z+2006_toyota_4runner_v8+uphill_front_vi ew.jpg

Rock Slide
09-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I know I'm reviving an old thread, but thought I'd pass along that Gobi now offers 2 different racks for 3rd gens. I'm sure they're expensive, but they look great:

http://www.gobitoyota.com/Images/96-4Runner-Stealth-Top.jpg

http://www.gobitoyota.com/Images/96-4Runner-Ranger-Top.jpg

http://www.gobitoyota.com/Images/96-4Runner-Ranger-Rear.jpg

More photos on their site: http://www.gobitoyota.com/96-4runner.htm

DHC6twinotter
09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I like it!

CYi5
09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
$1,500 bucks of Gobi rack. I do like the ladder though.

Scuba
09-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I think they got the years wrong... :rofl:
That's one of my biggest pet peeves, when a company can't list years correctly..