PDA

View Full Version : Don Imus makes ill remark about rutgers womens team

neliconcept
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I just found out from my parents about what this guy said about the rutgers womens team. Called them some nappy H##S and for one I think the guy should be fired. Some other guy on his show made another comment about them being jiggaboos and wannabees. Seriously stuff like this should not be on tv even if he did apologize on his website.

If this is in the wrong section, apologize before hand

What are your thoughts?

Paul H.
04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
personnally, I could care less what any of those big mouth radio talk hosts say.

neliconcept
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
i dont watch this fool but things said of that sort should not just be apologized, action should be taken

oly884
04-12-2007, 11:04 AM
After much thought over this issue I've decided that it's sad what has happened to Imus.

Was he an idiot for saying that, you bet.

Does he deserve to be fired? I don't think so.

I remember hearing some quote about one of the women that he was referring to and she said something on the order of, "This will scar me forever."

Now, I don't remember what exactly was said, but very similar to that. She was implying that the WORDS said by Imus will have an impact on her life 30 years from now. To which I have to say that this person is a weak human being. Words, you've got to be kidding me. 30 years from now she's still going to be emotionally distressed over some WORDS? I simply don't understand, are words that hurtful?

Stern could say the same crap and nothing would happen. It's called a double standard, and it sickens me. If you're going to hold Imus accountable, hold Stern, Chris Rock, ANY freaking rap "artist" accountable then. If those WORDS can have such an impact, then hold any person accountable that says it.

Worse yet is you have people whining about racism, well you don't get rid of racism by making a big deal about anything racist said, that only prolongs it. You get rid of racism by IGNORING it. Think of racists like the little kid who bugs his parents for a toy. If they keep acknowledging the kid, he won't stop, but if they ignore the little bugger he'll quit, realizing that his tactics are not working.

And probably the worst is that you have a massive amount of people, whom his words did not have an impact on, getting all up in arms over this and making it a 100,000x bigger deal that it is. (sorry Neil, don't mean to attack you in any manner) Sure it's human nature to feel bad for others, but there's a line between feeling bad for them, and simply caring too much.

Seanz0rz
04-12-2007, 12:05 PM
personally, i dont like don imus so i think he should fry.

however this morning i kinda thought differently of him. when he said he wouldn't apologized anymore except to the team, GOOD FOR HIM!!!

what i kind of hated about this is that all his sponsors just dumped him by the side of the road for fear of backlash. what he said was not right, very very not right (and ill discuss this a bit more in a minute) but im not sure he should necessarily lose his job over it. he apologized for it, there isnt much else he can do except step down, which i think shows weakness on his part.

i dont even find what he said offending. ok whatever racist comment, we hear them all day, big deal... i think its really awful of him to direct that at one person or a very specific group of people. personal attacks should not be tolerated, especially when they are racist in nature.

so should he fry or live? yesterday i would have said fry, but today i think differently. hes come under so much criticism that many other people who have insulted people in this manner havent.

Lee
04-12-2007, 01:12 PM
only thing i hated about this was HOW he went about apologizing like he'd hung 20 black babies or something.

what he said was pretty terrible and ignorant, but he basically begged for mercy for WORDS as oly said.

its pretty silly, but i dont like imus, so its no skin off my back if hes dumped.

MTL_4runner
04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
It's not an issue anymore because he just got canned!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18072804/?GT1=9246

TDiddy
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I can't stand the guy, but as wrong as it was to say what he said, its even more wrong that he got fired. Al Sharpton is more racist than 10 Imuses put together. He and Jesse Jackson are running with this purely out of self-promotion. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Who's next to be fired?

CJM
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
He got fired just like anyone who has sponsors will, when they sponsors pull out your gone.

oly884
04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I will say that I have never heard of Imus, so my comments have nothing to do with me liking him.

(just to set the record straight)

neliconcept
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
ditto here, i here stuff about him but its for one to find out. regardless once a white person makes a racists or close to a sexists comment, its obvious that those others will take their history a little too far and try and bring down punishment onto whom said those statements. its just how our world goes down, double standard or not. we dont need anymore fire from the flame

MiniSimp
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I could really care less.

Hell, lets tell Chris Rock to stop doing stand-up because he uses the "N" word in his act.

The world is getting retarded if this is our biggest issue today. I was pissed when this news overshadowed the 8 deaths in Iraq today.

slosurfer
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
This is so retarded! What he said was wrong and he apologized, should be a done deal! It was not said out of anger or in a spiteful manner, it was a joke that should not have been said. If you want to hear something offensive, google the lyrics for the top 10 rap songs in the nation right now. Also, one of the people calling for his firing is whoopi goldberg, guess what the name of her company is, One Ho Productions! This is all so retarded! They are just words like was mentioned before. They shouldn't have been said, but he apologized. Also, MSNBC sucks for canning his show hours before his telethon to help sick kids! At least his radio suspension was nice enough to start monday after his telethon. I wonder who was hurt more, some women who had something bad said about them or not having his telethon broadcasted for sick kids? :argue:

Edit: I guess I am a little slow, I just found out that he got canned from his CBS radio show also! Anyways, I was reading the story on msnbc, and I took a little excerpt out of it to share.

The Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson met with Moonves on Thursday to demand Imus’ removal, promising a rally outside CBS headquarters Saturday and an effort to persuade more advertisers to defect.

Jackson called the firing “a victory for public decency. No one should use the public airwaves to transmit racial or sexual degradation.”

Said Sharpton: “He says he wants to be forgiven. I hope he continues in that process. But we cannot afford a precedent established that the airways can commercialize and mainstream sexism and racism.”

NOw go read the rap lyrics and tell me, from what Jackson and Sharpton just said, why are they not rallying outside the record labels that put out these albums? They went after one poor guy because he was white and an easy target! :chair:

Bob98SR5
04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
only blacks can degrade other blacks :roll: funny how sharpton and jesse jackson never grill people like snoop dogg, 50 cent, etc for using the same words in an even worse way imho

slosurfer
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Honestly, I don't think this does anything to help race relations. In fact, I think it sets it back, because all it does showcase all the double standards, and piss off people that Sharpton and others are putting so much time and energy into something so trivial, when there are so many other important pressing issues.

Bob98SR5
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
yup, so right, chris. and not to mention, i think it was today or yesterday that jesse jackson offered up a full scholarship to the black chick who accused those duke lacrosse players of rape. rewarding her for lying and ending the lacrosse program, the coach losing his job, the players and their families going thru legal and emotional hell? seriously, its jacked up beyond believe

Texas Jim
04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Personally Imus is like Limbaugh a dried up old hack that if you had to look at them to listen to the no body would watch. They both have an audience that has nothing better to do but winer about everything the left wing party does... Confusing the facts and ranting about how some actor with a horrible disease is acting. but if the shoe was on the lard rears butt he would be all for stem cell research. I highly doubt that old ditto head only understands medical wise is Oxycotton, which I am still sure he thought was created for his use only!

But back to the firring of Imus, here you have religious leaders who happen to be of another race calling for his job, I thought the Bible taught us forgiveness? at least the one I read did. I guess they are hypocrites. Why would one who believe in the word of Christ and Jesus and try to live their lives as servants of God, feel that way??

Now on to the "N" word. The "N" word once it looses it racial connation, it is only an adjective. A descriptive word that can apply to people of all color!! When society learns that the "N" word is used to describe a person of lazy and no self worth, deadbeat and lier, no matter if your color is blue with pink feet. The word looses it threat to any racial tension. If we all think we know people who would qualify for that word and they are not black. You don't here people calling Blacks as White trash, or Trailer park trash, although Blacks live in trailer parks. As the old saying goes, Sticks and stones my break your bones, but words have never hurt me!....TJ

oly884
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
So, the question becomes, what do we do?

Do we pick up signs and start marching? Or do we go on with our day to day lives? I'm pretty damn tired of this BS, and the way I look at it, either everything is OK and people grow some testicles, or nothing is OK and we live in the shade. I prefer the first one.

What I'm getting at is the only way that the scums of life such as Jackson, Sharpton, et al. is to make the public realize what attention whores these people really are. If they truly cared about african americans they'd be going after rap artists and so on. However, they do not. This implies that they are simply attention whores only out to gain popularity and make a name for themselves as well as further their political agenda.

These people are slowing down the progress of mankind.

Tofer
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I dont listen to him, but i disagree with him being fired. the first guy comments were just as bad, by calling them tattooed rough looking hoes. Imus just added nappy haired part. and honestly i dont think he was that far off base....

TN
http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/tennw/sports/w-baskbl/06-07action/06-07heads/team-photo1.jpg

vs.

Rutgers
http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/carson_e.jpghttp://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/ajavon_m.jpghttp://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/jernigan_d.jpg
http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/junaid_r.jpghttp://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/mccurdy_m.jpghttp://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/prince_e.jpg
http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/ray_b.jpghttp://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/vaughn_k.jpghttp://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/images/zurich_h.jpg