PDA

View Full Version : Lifting IFS

Chapman88SR5
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Earlier I asked about Ball Joint spacers and got all my questions answered.

But now I was reading another forum on YT about the Diff Drop (which I also planned on doing) and some people are saying that they would NOT lift an IFS even 3" due to the CV angle.

Now can someone tell me that those people are just extreme web wheelers and that it really is safe to raise my IFS 3"? I do off road quite a bit but nothing really extreme just yet.

*Offtopic* I never knew suspension was this stinkin confusing! I replaced my engine and that wasn't even this confusing!

slosurfer
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
My first question would be, How do you plan on lifting it 3"? If bj spacers and tbar crank, then even with a 1" diff drop, you will probably tear your inner cv boots often. Not unsafe, but a pain in the butt, especially when you forget to unlock your hubs and hop on the freeway. Gives the underside of your rig a nice grease bath. It is generally accepted, that 1.5" is about as high as you can go without getting into as many cv problems. Even with 1.5" lift and wheeling often, you are still going to be tearing some boots. Why do you need 3"?

cootees
04-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I gained 3" of lift with bj spacers and a tbar crank while running manual hubs and without a diff drop. Been running this setup for nearly 2 years now and only recently did I break a cv shaft.

I don't really think that is bad at all considering how hard I wheel my rig and I typically venture out every other weekend to hit a trail.

marko3xl3
04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Even though I cannot tell you the exact procedure to get it right (my web wheeling experience isn't gonna help), I know it's possible to do a 3" IFS lift without endangering your CV's. That t-bar can be replaced with a better solution.

Bottom line, it'll take more work, therfore thoroughly consider if ya really need it.

And yes, suspensions are really confusing and there's no shame in not being an expert on some things. Ask wabbit...he's awesome with a welder but doesn't like working with engines :).

callmej75
04-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Diff drop is added insurance...doesn't cost much so I'd get it.

Chapman88SR5
04-08-2007, 07:25 AM
I was planning on just getting 1.5" BJ spacers and 26mm torsion bars for the front.

I want the lift so I can fit 33"x10.5" tires.

Robinhood4x4
04-08-2007, 07:51 AM
33x10.5s fit with 1.5" of lift. Probably even fit with no lift.

You also do not want to go with thicker tbars as that will only make your ride stiffer and reduce your articulation. If you're going to be doing high speed desert driving which includes jumping, then thicker bars are advantageous.

If you're set on going 3" then just crank your stock bars instead of getting thicker ones.

waskillywabbit
04-08-2007, 07:52 AM
If you want to run bigger tires, put a mild lift on it and call it done as with the early IFS stuff you are better off putting your money into a SAS if you are looking for 35s+. You just sacrifice too much drivability on the early 1st gen IFS. I had a bud who did a mild lift and fit 32s nicely w/o sacrificing drivability but that was after going 33s and it driving like crap and having to lower the crank on his torsion bars.

:guitar:

slosurfer
04-08-2007, 08:36 AM
I was planning on just getting 1.5" BJ spacers and 26mm torsion bars for the front.

I want the lift so I can fit 33"x10.5" tires.

Your best bet would be just the spacers and stock tbars. If you want a little bit more room add a 1 or 2" body lift because those actually help with tire clearance. A suspension lift may still compress back to the stock location, so in reality it doesn't help clear larger tires for offroading. If you are set on getting the bigger tbars, I wouldn't crank them past stock with the bj spacers. I know many people run spacers and tbar crank, but take it from me with just spacers, sometimes I want to relax my tbars just so that my boots stay intact longer (for some reason, I only have problems with the driverside). Also, listen to wabbit, he has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff. There are many out there who have spent a lot of time and money on IFS, and the majority will tell you to just keep it simple.

reggie 00
04-08-2007, 10:12 AM
They had a good explanation on Extreme 4x4. about the pros and cons of IFS.
I did the ever popular Ball joint spacers and cruiser coils, left the t bars the same as they were before i started.
Figured it would be money wasted to do a IFS lift and then exceed those capabilities and then want to do a SAS.

I fit 32's pretty good. I had a little piece in the inner fender sticking out that i found pretty quick where it was and just as quickly wore it down out the way.

Lots of good info here. Whatever you decide just make sure its done right to keep you and the rig safe.

Cheese
04-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Don't get hung up on a height. You can run narrow 33's with no real lift. If you want a wider 33, you only need a little.

BJ spacers should free up travel and kill idler arms, they alone should not be a source of lift.

If you want to lift it because you like monkeying with the truck, then do whatever you want.

If you want to wheel it, get that on 33's and lock it. Less lift is always better.

AxleIke
04-08-2007, 10:03 PM
33x10.5's will require very little lift for an agressive MT tire with large side lugs.

33x10.5 AT tires, as well as 34x9.5 SSR's will fit with absolutely no lift.

Unless you are running almost 200 lbs on your front bumper, or jumping the truck, i would highly recommend against larger torsion bars. Stock bars are the best unless you have a bunch of added weight.

As was said, if you want to look tall, and just play with the suspension, have at it.

For really wheeling: no lift, skinny 33's, and lockers.

91ToyTrck
04-26-2007, 05:48 PM
I think the most confusing thing about lifting our trucks is all the different opinions you have sent your way from any message board. I have heard all the pros and all the cons on lifting the IFS. I still have no clue where I stand on the situation, but I have seen TC's pictures and he does amazing things on a stock IFS. I'm working on protection, a rear locker, and beefing up my IFS top priority.

Do you think purchasing the TC Idler Arm would be a better investment then BJ spacers, torsion bars, or bracket style front lift?

olharleyman
04-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I lifted my 90 runner with a 4"stage II Pro Comp lift and 35's and my cv's still sit almost perfecily even may be at 5 degree angle.
With that said if I had it to do all over again I would take the 1200 bucks and throw it at a sas. Not that my lift is bad mind you but after learning what I have since lifting IFS and knowing that its not as strong without another 2500 long travel kit sas and get it over with yea thats what I'd do.

91ToyTrck
04-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I've run a 4" Superlift + 3" PA BL + 35x12.50s on my '92 Pickup. I wish I hhad started my offroading career about 6 years ago witth all the money I sank into BS extras for show ... I'd have a killer truck right now.

I did win 1st and 2nd place trophies when I competed for 2 almost 3 years.

Robinhood4x4
04-29-2007, 08:27 AM
I think the most confusing thing about lifting our trucks is all the different opinions you have sent your way from any message board. I have heard all the pros and all the cons on lifting the IFS. I still have no clue where I stand on the situation, but I have seen TC's pictures and he does amazing things on a stock IFS. I'm working on protection, a rear locker, and beefing up my IFS top priority.

Do you think purchasing the TC Idler Arm would be a better investment then BJ spacers, torsion bars, or bracket style front lift?

One also has to keep in mind the audience here too. Most people here don't have much experience with the high speed baja type of off roading. The TC and other long arm suspensions are geared for that high speed stuff and as a side gives better than average rockcrawling performance.

People here are mostly talking about rock crawling and we've all come to the conclusion that it's better to put as little money into ifs as possible, learn to wheel with ifs, then SAS when the time is right.

Personally, I don't think the TC idler arm is worth it. Reinforce the stock one and carry a spare.

91ToyTrck
04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm glad to see some are on my side. I'm not trying to throw much money into the truck till I can sas, but that will be some time. I just want a good dependable DD and weekend warrior to learn and beat up the trails.

Trumpfan
05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Like was mentioned before, a locker is the best investment, 33x10.5 will fit with no lift. IMHO second place to spend your money is on armour- I still need to put skids on my truck and its taking a bit of a pounding because of it.

all_terrain17
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Another vote for no lift...If need be, trim the fenders.

Many people associate this with trimming:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/TrimmingFenders.jpg

and shy away from the idea, when in fact most of the time this is all that's needed:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/TrimmingFenders2.jpg

In regards to beefing IFS, don't think I'd bother. Doing so is pretty impractical cost wise - just look at some of the prices on the Total Chaos website. Do some front end maintenance replacing those components prone to wear (idler, tie rods, etc.), and you have yourself a set of spares as well as the knowledge to replace them in a timely manner.

DEATHRUNNER
06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Low and Wide, yota pride.