PDA

View Full Version : Camera Question

reggie 00
04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok
I took photography class like.......... :headscratch: , along time ago.

Did the whole picture taking wit the oatmeal can.

I have been looking for a decent SLR camera for quite awhile, and will patiently wait till i find one for a screaming deal.

I have been looking thru one of my distributors catalogs and found these:

FINEPIX-S9100 -$410
EOS-DIG-REB-XT/LENS - $630

Are all add on lens bodies the same?

What i want it for is i like taking pictures the old fashion way

And i every so often When the moons align just so i get to spend the weekend watching World Superbike and AMA motorcycle racing. Which is nice to have a telephoto lens for. My brother has a Telephoto lens we use on Pop's Old Canon just wondering if i could use it on a newer camera.

Thanks to all the camera gurus who help out :bowdown:

oly884
04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Moved your thread, figure this is a better place for it.

Yup, most lenses will transfer from camera to camera when you step into the DSLR realm. The key is the mounting of the lens, but with the DSLR's out there now, you really should never have to worry about it (at least for nikon's you don't ;) ) I'm shooting a Nikon D70 and I love it. Once you get the hang of it, point and shoot cameras will never feel right again.

reggie 00
04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the move. i didn't see that there,of course i only got as far as off topic didn't think to look here.

cool i just want something decent.
Are any of the two i found worth the trouble?

Don't really need digital, i can get good ol fashion 35mm pretty cheap from the same distributor and developing film is pretty inexpensive compared to times of old.

So if anyone has any leads on an old fashion 35mm that's just the cats meow id like to know too.

Thank ya

oly884
04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Well, I've heard a lot of good things about the Digital Rebel.

Here's a whole plethora of reviews: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

I will say that digital is nice for many reasons. #1 being you don't have to "waste" film if there's a bad shot, you can simply delete the photo instead. Also, compatibility is an issue here. If you want to be able to share the photos with people, it's about 1000x easier if its digital. You have to develop and then scan film, unless you have a negative scanner, and that all takes time. Also, photo editing, sizing up, and transporting the photos is much easier if it's on a CD instead of a big stack of photos.

marko3xl3
04-08-2007, 09:48 PM
The Rebel XT will be a very good beginners camera. Once you take a picture with a DSLR, you'll never go back. It'll make a [**edit**]crappy[**/edit**] picture look awesome (almost :))

I used the D70 quite a lot as well and it's an awesome camera if you happen to come across one.

reggie 00
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Cool found Olys, thread about camera stuff.

Now seeing i just like old school, am on a budget , and what not is this a cool set up to monkey around with?

Canon Manual Focus
135 F3.5 FD (52) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS

Canon Manual Focus
28 F2.8 FD (52) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS WIDE ANGLE LENS

Canon Manual Focus
50 F1.4 SSC FD BL (55) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS

Canon Manual Focus
A1 ENGRAVED 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY

Tofer
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
no marco... nikon lenses will fit nikons, cannons will fit cannons.

marko3xl3
04-08-2007, 10:35 PM
no marco... nikon lenses will fit nikons, cannons will fit cannons.

no chris...it's marko :)

thanks for letting me know though, i only mass-used a nikon d70

surf4runner
04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
So if anyone has any leads on an old fashion 35mm that's just the cats meow id like to know too.

its not the cats meow, but i have a minolta XG-1 film camera w/ flash and 300mm zoom lens available. still have the manual etc. this camaera has always taken excellent pix, but i am past ready for the digital age.
i may another zoom lens to go with it...
not looking for a lot of $$$.

d0ubledown
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
aah nice to see someone wanting to go back to basics and learn photography the real way instead of shooting, checking the LCD, deleting and doing it again.

of the older MF flavours, theres heaps to choose from, and theyre all on the cheap on ebay with MF lenses as well. some obg's are:

canon program AE-1
Nikon FM2
Minolta X-700

what you really want in any camera is something thats got manual exposure control, a light meter/needle, as well as the usual aperture/shutter/program modes. exposure compensation is also a plus..but that can be handled with manual exposure mode.

while these cameras are great for taking pics the old fashioned way..if you want to shoot anything on the track, you'll want autofocus and motor drive. any of the big 4 will have something that will suit you. look for AF gems like:

nikon F100/N008, canon elans, minolta maxxum 800si/7. there are numerous lenses available on ebay as well as other accessories like flash..etc etc.

my opinion: grab a nice manual or auto focus lens and a standard lens like 28-80 or 50 1.4. this will get you started. and once you get the basics down you'll be knowledged on what you'll want and dont want when youre ready for an upgrade.

of the two cams in your original post, the fuji isnt an SLR, its got a fixed zoom lens. the canon is an slr, so it can be used with all canon EF (auto focus) lenses, EF-S (digital lenses) and FD (manual focus) lenses with an adapter. if the xt rebel is a good price for you..grab it. and if your bro's lens is an EF lens..you'll be able to use it on the digital rebel as well.

the kit in your 5th post is an excellent start. id definitely go with that if its all part of a package deal. its good also to start with prime lenses (only one focal length unlike a zoom). not only does it offer much better image quality and has a constant max aperture, it makes you a more disciplined photographer...using your feet to zoom in and out to set up your picture.

since film processing is so cheap these days and most if not all labs offer CD's with your order as well. grab a camera and a good photo how-to book and go through it with your camera in hand. refresh your knowledge and go out n shoot. go through your prints or CD's and assess whether thats how you wanted your pic to look like. writing down exposures helps alot as well to reference your pics.

...yes i personally like the way my prints look better from 35mm film. not saying digital isnt great...kinda like why i still prefer my sony xbr tube TV instead of the current crop of lcd's and plasma's.

reggie 00
04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Cool.
That helps alot. Thank you.
That set up above in my last post cost about $140. so i think i might get that this weekend.
The A1 Engraved they said was a pro based camera, i think it had more stuff to adjust than the AE-1, they had both for about the same cost. Which one is the it?

The motor part you where talking about is that the piece that can be added to the bottom of the camera body?
there where a few different motor add ons avail. I thought it was just to advance the film manually and was going to deal with it later. Didn't know they had Auto focus lens for cameras that old I'll have to look for them.

Definitely going old school analog, for what it would be used for and what not can see myself spending 500-600 on a camera. My luck i would just end up breaking it.

Will definitely be back around with a boat load of questions on things after i make my way thru "Cameras for dummies".

rubysRunner
04-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Great advice from Sonny. I have an AE-1 and an ElanII, both of them are excellent cameras. The AE-1 being an older generation is a little more simplified, and very easy to use. If you can find one in good shape, I'd jump on it. Should be really easy to find cheap lenses for it. If you're interested in an ElanII, also a kickass camera, with way more features (can be totally manual, totally auto or in between) let me know...I've been considering selling it to help with the purchase of a Mamiya 645 medium format. I hate to do it, but since the purchase of the 30D it hasn't been out of the case.

neliconcept
04-13-2007, 08:07 AM
if you decide to go with film, go with a newer canon film so that the camera will use EF lenses instead of the FD like the AE1 uses. Digital also use EF lenses so you can interchange between film and digital.

reggie 00
04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Canon Auto Focus
10QD BLACK (INTERNATIONAL 10S WITH DATE) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS CAMERA BODY
|
Grade Now Was
EX $45.00
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/CE02999069923.jpg

Canon Auto Focus
50 F1.8 II (52) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS
|
Grade Now Was
NEW $73.95

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/CE06009033699.jpg

So i was flipping thru the website Oly posted in the photography thread. And got this stuff on order. From what i can find seems to be a good body. They have a guarantee. I got the starter lens that was posted earlier. So know i just need to figure out how to use the thing. Got the book for the camera so that will help. Anyone have a copy of photography for dummies?

reggie 00
04-24-2007, 08:53 PM
:clap:

Got the camera today.

:headscratch:

but of course i didn't think to look into the fact it might need batteries. :(