PDA

View Full Version : PNW AIChE regional conference...and I get to be the Master of Ceremonies, HELP!

oly884
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
:yikes: <-- me right now

:screwy: <-- what i think of myself for saying yes

Oh crap.

Well, I got an email from the secretary at the ChE department asking me to be the master of ceremonies. She had talked to the department head, and the rest of the staff and they voted for me, or it could be just because I offered to help. Now when you offer to help at an event, you don't expect to get nominated to be the EMCEE, do you?

So on to the other "issue." I can speak publicly, just takes some time to warm up, but I'm still nervous as hell.

So, how many of my fellow yota...., I mean UY'ers have been MC's? Tips, advice, wanna do it for me?

MTL_4runner
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Ahhhh, no big deal and you'll do fine, so congrats!
Once you get over how many people are in the room, it comes naturally.

.....now we know why they're offering you the 6 figures to come up to canuck territory. :laugh:

reggie 00
04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I use to hate talking to large groups of people. My last job had me doing it all the time to complete strangers trying to teach semi complicated lighting control systems to people that half the time stared at me like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. But i had to get in their heads and put this little kernel of info there so i could get my job done

Just relax be yourself and go with it. If you think about it to much you will just overload your brain with useless nonsense and worry and mess your self up bad. The old opening joke thing is used to gauge your crowd, use it.

Pick one or two people and talk to them till you get comfortable, then just flow thru the crowd stopping at different people and talking to them. Don't worry about the other XXX many just concentrate on the one or two at a time.

If you just relax it will be fine. Try doing it while being recorded on video tape to show even more people :confused:

Cebby
04-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Imagine them all in their underwear. Open with a joke. Have a point to what you are saying. :D