PDA

View Full Version : Water Filtration recommendations

Good Times
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
As avid explorers, we all love to go out and have fun. I noticed many trips that our community has done in part by foot or by vehicle of choice in the "Trip Reports" section which shows lots of cool photos but never really talk about the actual gear we carry. I've seen a few threads about what kind of gear you carry in your vehicle but nothing about what you carry when on foot.

I created a post last year when "The Lifesaver" water filtration bottle was first introduced. You can read all about it here (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=4870.0). That thread talked about some of the cool filtration systems people use(s/d).

Since my 4runner is "almost" back up and running and will start going out to have fun again, I started to go through what I normally carry on my weekend/extended trips and realized that I carry way too much crap. Seriously I'm a girl! Either I'm a paranoid bi*** or just plain crazy but I carry a lot of water. I understand that I live in a desert and most of the trips I encounter are remote places with hardly any sound water source but I carry a 7 gal drinking water container (for a weekend trip for two) and at least another 3-4 gallons in water in combination of hydration bottles and water bottles/canteens. That's not all, I also carry grey water for the usual "washing your hands/dishes" around camp which I would suspect is another 2-4 gallons. So at the end of the day I'm looking at around 15 gallons? (insert cool words here! talk about seriously weighing down the truck!) I know it's the most important thing to have but I know that I can do a better job in organizing my stuff and pack more efficiently. It is recommended to carry 1 gal per person per day or 2 gals per person per day if you're in extreme conditions so my logic on the 7 gals sounds reasonable for two. I probably won't get rid of how much water I carry (maybe... we'll see) but I would like to be better prepared for the SHTF stuff when I need to tap into a fresh water source and filter water in an event I run out of my drinking water source.

So with that in mind, I'm starting to look into some water filtration devices. I've seen the chemical/uv stuff but was wondering if those are really all that? I've read lots of reviews on how some units will leave an interesting after taste to those that actually taste better than your own water! (hard to believe but I guess I should try before I believe anyone). I know that I can always boil water and treat the water that way but would like to also have other options available for a quick fix. I read posts from other members stating having a filtration device is definitely an important item to carry so I'd like to hear from you on recommendations/suggestions and feedback on what you currently have and what you would do different if any.

Right now I'm eying a Katadyn filtration device but before I pull the trigger, what do you all carry?

CJM
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I prefer using both chemical and a water filter.

Right now I use my MSR sweetwater filter, works very well and had no issues. It only lasts for about 200 gallons at best though and you will find you use that up quick.

Its not cheap but the katadyn pocket is the single best handheld filter made. It lasts for 13k gallon of water, is shown to be the best at filter and such. But its 200 bucks :(

As for chemical, I use a solution made of HTH pool shock and water. Gotta mix it up in LARGE batches though but it works well. Could also do the same with bleach, I keep it in a small dropper bottle.

Anyways being an avid backpacker and outdoorsman thats what I recommend.

4x4mike
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I have had many filters through the years and have always liked my Katadyn Hiker, used to be Pur. When I worked at REI I used/owned/tested/repaired just about every filter out there. Most, in my opinion were over priced and over complicated. The hiker is small, affordable and easily maintained. It has a great output for it's size and I've used the heck out of it.

Having said that, I don't use it on trips much. Most of all it's use has been for backpacking where having a lot of water on you means extra weight. Backpacking I usually have a nalgene and camelback bladder. I don't go to foreign places with crazy infested water so I don't need one of the 'mil-spec ultra ubber tactical' filters.

On trips I have my specter water can and the wife an I usually have a couple water bottles full. If it's going to be really hot or if water is going to be an issue I'll bring another 3 gallon jug but leave it empty until I think I need it. In fact I leave the specter can empty especially if I have some driving to do. I'll just fill it when I get closer to my destination. When you factor in an ice chest with soda and beer there are usually enough drinks. Most of my trips that require me to pack water I usually end up dumping most of it out by the end of the trip. I tend to drink a lot of water but don't usually use much for dishes. We've got meals down pretty easy and clean, this saves a lot of water. Showers are usually done with a couple of baby wipes and a rinse with a sun shower.

Here in northern CA there are a lot of great spots with water. Be it a reservoir, stream or creek we're set. I fill our sun shower with creek water (ice chest water if other water isn't available) and let it sit. I also use creek water for dishes and other non drinking activites. Sometimes I'll pack the filter along but it's always extra and have never had to resort to it.

Do you always use all your water? What is your biggest use? Do you use it for showers?

Good Times
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Cost is a big concern but also one of those "do I really need one" since I'm always within close enough proximity to my truck anyway. Though having that alternative solution is a good insurance policy. I guess for me it's one of those I should just keep one and keep it packed in my bag as a "worst case scenario".

The shower is something I have also considered something I don't do at the moment when out on these outdoor trips. I use the good ol Kirkland baby wipes and they do wonders since after several days of "roughin it", I'm still "stinky-free!" Since I have a small water container for cleaning stuff I suppose I can use that for showering but I don't have a solar shower (I saw you guys use one for the Joshua Tree trip!) so that doesn't work for me at the moment. I may pick one up one day.

Surprisingly I actually go thru most of the water if not empty the container by the time I'm back from my trip. Where the water goes, no clue cuz I don't recall pissing 10000x. I guess I'm just a camel eh? I try to stay hydrated as much as I can plus it keeps me alert for those long boring drives on the washboards where you're just jigging like crazy!

I don't normally take any other supplies of fluid (soda, alcohol etc) so the water is my only source of fluid. That's probably why I go thru most if not all of it. I do try to get water on the way out by stopping at the last major city to fill up so it doesn't have to weigh me down pounding the pavement. Washing dishes are done on a minimal basis as I try to pack "easy to eat", no cleaning required meals. This usually equates to sandwiches and stuff you can eat with your hands but I do like to splurge one of the nights by doing the "make a big fat mess" but eat your heart out meals.

Just weighing some options and getting ideas. Probably won't be making any "impulse" purchases anytime soon so it'll give me time to google reviews on many of the off the shelf items currently available everywhere.

CJM
02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
If you can find the MSR sweetwater system its very affordable, or the katadyn hiker models are worth it. Both will filter whatever you want and the better the water you filter the longer they last.

However the katadyn pocket will last forever pretty much unless you can filter 13k gallons, and thats why im gonna get one soon.

Small_words
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
The katadyn that CJM mentions is very good. I love mine and it keeps winning Outside gear awards