PDA

View Full Version : WTB: ARB Snorkel Cut Out Template

YotaFun
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Here is a interesting request for you all.
for those of you who have purchased an ARB snorkel
I was curious if you still had the template that comes
with it for cutting the necessary holes in the fender...

I am not ready to buy an ARB, Just going to make a snorkel out of
ABS piping, but I would like to put the hole for the piping right where the ARB would go so if/when I do buy it I can take out the ABS piping and put on the ARB.

Thanks!
Avi

04 Rocko Taco
03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Are you sure that you need a snorkel?

YotaFun
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Lake Cristy is calling my name.
There have been more then a few occasions that I needed it,
and ended up taking a different line...

Good Times
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Sean just did a snorkel on his, ask him!

Seanz0rz
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
lol i threw mine out with the reasoning: "who the hell is going to need a template for a snorkel that comes with a template when you buy it..."

YotaFun
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Lol next?

Terracoma
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Call up ARB directly, they probably have the installation instructions PDF'isized that they can e-mail to you.

I just did this for my ARB bull bar, don't see why they wouldn't have the Safari Snorkels too.

neliconcept
03-03-2009, 06:48 PM
i dont have mine either

YotaFun
03-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Gary, will probably do that this weekend.
Just checking to see if someone on here might have it before I got that route.

CJM
03-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I know you are wanting an ABS like mine lol..

FWIW I woulda done mine a bit different but it turned out well for what I did.

neliconcept
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Avy, just do an internal one for now and then worry about the ARB

doing an external PVC is going to look so ghetto

Scuba
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Avy, just do an internal one for now and then worry about the ARB

doing an external PVC is going to look so ghetto

I aggree...:bling:

RunnerUp
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
i do as well,internal or safari

Seanz0rz
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
please for the love of all that is toyota do NOT go to home depot and piece together a bunch of plumbing parts...

YotaFun
03-04-2009, 05:44 AM
What do you think the isr mod is made out of, what difference does it make.

Gentlemen I appreciate you constructive critisim on this but this thread is not geared for that.

YotaFun
03-04-2009, 05:58 AM
If I am going to cutting a hole on the firewall for an internal, why not just cut the one in the fender blake?

This way I won't have a huge hole to patch in the firewall

CJM
03-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Honestly there are 3 real ways to do it:
1. Outside snorkel above the cab if you can. This sometimes turns out fugly, mine works well but I dont see much of a use for it anymore since my truck isnt going offroad hardcore anymore since I spent gobs of money on fixin it.

2. Internal that goes into the dash. I dont like this idea. Your not sucking up fresh air at all and inside the cab it whistles like mad. Plus you gotta cut the firewall!

3. Then you can modify the existing outlet from the airbox to go as high as possible into the fender or eve come into the top corner of the engine bay. If you can do that, that is the least bothersome to do and the easiest job. Better yet if you decided to go back to stock you (if you did cut a hole) only have a 2" hole inthe inner frame of the frontend. If i had to do it all over I would do it that way.

FWIW my snorkel works great, is fully functional and I get compliments all the time-they think its a professional job cause I painted the ABS in this textured plastic paint and used safari snorkel head

neliconcept
03-04-2009, 09:15 PM
If I am going to cutting a hole on the firewall for an internal, why not just cut the one in the fender blake?

This way I won't have a huge hole to patch in the firewall

you either need it or you dont.

if you really need it so bad that its going to make your truck go from looking like a 10 to about a 2 then go for it.

otherwise just save up for the safari

i know you are going for uses before looks atm, but you will regret it big time, then you may want to buy a new fender, at least once an internal is done, you can just somehow semi weld a new piece in and it doesnt have to look pretty.

however since you are looking for some advice and my post isnt really geared to that.

you are going to need to figure out a way to secure it to the a pillar somehow, that I would not know how to do, it may start flapping around otherwise.

use some sort of grommet in the fender so you dont mess up the hole and make it bigger or deformed for when you do get the SS

also think about the possibility of exhaust tubing or something similar, not heavy but not real thin either and something that will have mandrel bends in it

YotaFun
03-05-2009, 04:33 AM
I am going for function and look.

Curretnly just function, but when I want to go for looks at least I know the hole will be in the right spot for when I do go for looks.

If done right it will look good. I am not the only one that has done this and look good.

I already had the plan if. cutting to use a rub hoes, cut it along the seam and put it around.

As for the a-pillar mount I am still working on that.

I just want the hole to be in the right spot.